996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

The do's and dont's of driving a 996TT??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 02:21 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Rule of thumb...these cars seem to be better off being used. Don't sit it in the garage for long periods of time....batteries die, seals dry up, etc. Use it ....and less bad things will happen.

Respect for being in 2nd gear before going on the gas is important. I am of the opinion that at least in some of these cars you cannot help but hurt 2nd in normal use and get a pop-out later. I just did my full tranny and I don't use the car harshly....the prior owner did I bet....

Anyway, use it. Respect that it is super fast and other cars don't go as fast OR stop as fast (that truck on your tail may be IN your take if you stop too fast....keep that in mind too. Often forgotten.

JB

Old 09-14-2008, 04:16 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly
From my first post above:

Start the car and let the oil warm until it is nearing the 180Degree mark on the coolant gage... I will not rev the motor above 4K until the oil motor is at full "warm".
Mike
Hi Mike,
I was wondering about this. Does it really keep the engine's life longer? I normally just start the car and wait until the RPM drops back to idle; and then I start driving.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:29 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
This is what I've been told to do by those I respect in the engine building /tuning world, and that's what I'm doing... You have 9 quarts of COLD oil in that cold motor. These motors now cost $25K to replace... I'll let that oil warm up before I get on it... I'd recommend contacting someone you trust on if you should or not.

Mike

Old 09-14-2008, 07:21 PM
mtesh73 is infamous around these parts
a ton of great insight here>>>>

thanks guys.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:16 PM
996garage is infamous around these parts996garage is infamous around these parts
I have had higher HP cars than the 996TT with a pretty good amount of track experience/instruction.

After buying my 996TT I found the PSM to be very intrusive specifcally in high speed sweeping corners such as freeway interchanges. When rolling onto the throttle at apex, the PSM will severely unsettle the car. My 996 NB did not have PSM and never had this problem, nor did any other of my sports cars.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:47 PM
ezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond repute
Get a good radar detector. V1 has helped me on numerous occasions. Oh, and keep a quart of oil in the car.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:31 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
any recommendations on a good torque wrench? whats the recommended street/track torque specs for our cars?

Old 09-15-2008, 08:20 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 996garage
After buying my 996TT I found the PSM to be very intrusive specifcally in high speed sweeping corners such as freeway interchanges. When rolling onto the throttle at apex, the PSM will severely unsettle the car. My 996 NB did not have PSM and never had this problem, nor did any other of my sports cars.
Something doesn't sound right there. Do you have aftermarket wheels or non-stock tire sizes?

Old 09-15-2008, 08:38 AM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
Welcome to the 911 turbo club!

In addition ot all the things said here, I always check my oil when parking it for the day, I have had low oil sneak up on me, keeping a quart or two with you is good advice, especially road trips

I would say learning the car is a good idea- learn the fuses and where the basic things are. There are some idiosyncracies such as the fuel filler fuse- sometimes these blow and you cant fill up the tank, you wouldnt even think of checking fuses. There are some good websites (rennlist, renntech, 6speed etc) that have a fountain of knowledge.

Last but not least- dont be afraid of the car.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:57 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Oh, I find filling the gas to be much eaiser if I hold the handle 180 degree in the other direction....so the curve is going UP rather than down if you will.

And, I don't then need to go past the first "click" of the pump to be full. Sounds silly. But, it works. No spills on the paint since I started doing this. Before, it was hit or miss....

Jeff

Old 09-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
96#ft of torque is the amount specified for the lugnuts, if memory serves me correctly...as for the torque wrench, I've got 3 of various makes/types... I had them all checked by my snap-on rep and they all were to spec... One is a snap-on, one is a Craftsman, and one is an El-cheap-O parts store unit...

Also, there are a number of guys who have complained about low oil... I've not dealt with this at all... What I did have happen once was "losing count" and only putting 7.5 quarts in... I went back and checked after the engine was warm and it was low... So I went back and counted empty oil containers... I was "SHORT"!

Mike

Old 09-15-2008, 04:32 PM
996garage is infamous around these parts996garage is infamous around these parts
Seal Grey,
Yes, I have 19" iForged Seneka's on with TechArt coilovers.

As for the torque wrench, they typically come in different measurable torque ranges. You'll probably want one that goes from 0-100 lbs of torque so that you can use it on your lugs as well as on spark plugs, etc...

Old 09-15-2008, 04:46 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 996garage
Seal Grey,
Yes, I have 19" iForged Seneka's on with TechArt coilovers.
What size and brand tires? You may be triggering PSM because the computer is detecting different rotating rates (front to back) as wheel slip and reacting when no reaction is needed. If so, it's probably not so great for your viscous coupling, either.
(sorry for the hijack, OP, but this seemed important enough)

Old 09-15-2008, 05:57 PM
I am running Conti's with 235/35-19 front and 315/25-19 back. This seems to be the most common size among guys with 19's on this forum.

I've had the 19" iForged wheels on since day 1 of ownership. I don't encounter this problem on my daily commute when I turn off PSM.

To continue adding to this thread, remember to lock your doors at night even in your garage, as the car will drain more battery if you don't. (recommended by Porsche)

Old 09-15-2008, 07:17 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mike (La Jolla)
The manual transmissions on 996TT's are very weak. Attempts to quickly jam into second from first is believed to be one of the causes of transmission failure.

So, shifting should go: clutch, heartbeat (or breath in), shift, heatbeat (or breath out) clutch.
F that, there is no proof what so ever and I don't believe it for a second..I bang gears all day long on and off the track and my syncros/tranny is fine when checked out a month ago!

As for your info, Mike and others got it covered.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: The do's and dont's of driving a 996TT??