996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

The do's and dont's of driving a 996TT??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 06:05 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Well it depends... If you're only checking lug studs, then sure 100# wrench will do it... But if you're checking or reinstalling other parts, like checking the axle nuts, for instance, you might want to go with something a bit higher...

Mike

Originally Posted by 996garage
Seal Grey,
Yes, I have 19" iForged Seneka's on with TechArt coilovers.

As for the torque wrench, they typically come in different measurable torque ranges. You'll probably want one that goes from 0-100 lbs of torque so that you can use it on your lugs as well as on spark plugs, etc...

Old 09-16-2008, 06:58 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by iLLM3
F that, there is no proof what so ever and I don't believe it for a second..I bang gears all day long on and off the track and my syncros/tranny is fine when checked out a month ago!

As for your info, Mike and others got it covered.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:47 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Always remember to let your turbos cool down for 2 minutes before shutting off the engine. It's in the owners manual. Overheated turbos can bake the oil in them and make it crystallize which will make it abrasive and contribute to wear and smoking on start up.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:20 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly
From my first post above:

My "street" driving goes like this...
Start the car and let the oil warm until it is nearing the 180Degree mark on the coolant gage... I will not rev the motor above 4K until the oil motor is at full "warm". In general, the car builds so much speed that I drive a LOT with my cruise control... Mine is modified and makes boost sooner than a stock turbo, with less spool, so I am constantly paying attention, especially in traffic. However, get used to where your turbos come alive and stay below that in stop and go, and it'll drive like any other car... They're do anything well cars, and extremely rewarding to drive rain or shine, anywhere, any time. Spend some time getting used to the car and just enjoy it...

No, it's not an Elise, but the steering is much better than the C5 Vette I had... It's lively and responsive, and turn in is great... feedback is decent on my car, but again, it's got coil overs (Came on my car when I bought it) and I'm sure a stocker may have less feedback...

Mike
Mike as always alot of great info from you. didnt get through all this and may have been mentioned but as most know the water temp reaching 180 is still some time away from the oil temp up to where you want it to be before hard driving. just try to check the oil level when the 180 degree mark is hit it will tell you the oil isnt warm enough yet.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:43 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Tom, You know, I've gotten that error when checking fluids, at pit out, and I was told by a couple techs not to worry about it... So you're saying I should worry about it? Good to know!

Mike

Old 09-16-2008, 10:24 PM
PTEC688 is infamous around these parts
No, it's not anything to worry about. It's just an easy way to see if your oil is "hot" yet. What Tom is saying is that your coolant temp is not your oil temp. Coolant heats up relatively quickly compared to oil. As most know, but don't always think about, is the coolant temp sensor measures the temp of the coolant. Not the engine oil. Just because your coolant is at "operating" temp doesn't mean every component and fluid on and in your engine is. Oil takes close to twice as long to warm up at idle. When you are able to get an oil level reading from your cluster, it means the oil is at a temp that your temp sensor/cluster sees as operating temperature. You can let in come down off of high idle and drive it where ever, but I would recommend 5 min of driving or make sure you are able to check your oil level with the cluster before getting into boost. I have seen very very little problems with these cars and I work on them every day. As for the transmission problems, I'm sure bigger dealers have seen more problems due to more volume, but I have only had 4 or 5 of them apart since 2001. I know two were broken gear teeth on very high HP cars, and the rest were worn or cracked syncros. If there is a "weak link" in the car, it would be the transmission in my opinion because they can't take the beating that some can, but it's not a drag car. It was built to serve a purpose which was not for trying to beat that built 69 Camaro off the tree and to the quarter mile mark by constantly dumping the clutch and banging gears. It's a lot of fun to go do that to see if some recently added mods were worth it, but every weekend will kill the trans. There has been a lot of very good advice on the thread. Hope it all helps.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:35 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I'm with mikelly,

the PSM is definitely too intrusive. Especially in tight corners when you need to rotate the car.

I'm not the greatest driver (it takes a hell of a lot to even get close), but I'm getting much better at driving the car with the throttle and brake.

I agree that PSM should never come off on the street except maybe for an on ramp launch.

To the OP: the biggest danger IMO is being too slow, or slowing down in the middle of a corner. The weight behind the rear tires wants to come around and leans on the rear sidewalls hard. Sometimes you will feel the PSM do more than just brake, you will definitely feel a sinking feeling in your stomach when you lift and the car doesn't seem to slow down, like the engine braking is gone. That's PSM givin it a tiny bit of gas to lower the yaw.

IMO the tranny is hard as hell, it's the syncros that are weak.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 09-16-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:47 AM
I understand (quite well actually) that the coolant temp isn't the oil temp, hence "coolant"... But since we don't have an oil temp gage, this was what I was told to use as an indicator... I won't from now on.
Thanks!

Mike

Originally Posted by PTEC688
No, it's not anything to worry about. It's just an easy way to see if your oil is "hot" yet. What Tom is saying is that your coolant temp is not your oil temp. Coolant heats up relatively quickly compared to oil. As most know, but don't always think about, is the coolant temp sensor measures the temp of the coolant. Not the engine oil. Just because your coolant is at "operating" temp doesn't mean every component and fluid on and in your engine is. Oil takes close to twice as long to warm up at idle. When you are able to get an oil level reading from your cluster, it means the oil is at a temp that your temp sensor/cluster sees as operating temperature. You can let in come down off of high idle and drive it where ever, but I would recommend 5 min of driving or make sure you are able to check your oil level with the cluster before getting into boost. I have seen very very little problems with these cars and I work on them every day. As for the transmission problems, I'm sure bigger dealers have seen more problems due to more volume, but I have only had 4 or 5 of them apart since 2001. I know two were broken gear teeth on very high HP cars, and the rest were worn or cracked syncros. If there is a "weak link" in the car, it would be the transmission in my opinion because they can't take the beating that some can, but it's not a drag car. It was built to serve a purpose which was not for trying to beat that built 69 Camaro off the tree and to the quarter mile mark by constantly dumping the clutch and banging gears. It's a lot of fun to go do that to see if some recently added mods were worth it, but every weekend will kill the trans. There has been a lot of very good advice on the thread. Hope it all helps.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:16 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
One of the custom options Tony can put on an ECU is a boost lockout until oil temp comes up. Basically you're stuck at .7 bar until you're up to operating temperature.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Banned
The Turbo is infamous around these partsThe Turbo is infamous around these parts
HARD track use will destroy the inadequate front calipers / rotors.
Ask me how I know ---

GT3 setup will alleviate any and all problems, use decent pads - Pagid RS29 cannot be beat for toughness and longevity.

Yes, Motul 600 is all you need in any case -

Got my stuff from over at Rennstore dot com

Old 09-26-2008, 12:29 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Seal Grey Matte
One of the custom options Tony can put on an ECU is a boost lockout until oil temp comes up. Basically you're stuck at .7 bar until you're up to operating temperature.
Sounds pretty useless to me! You can trash a cold motor with thick cold oil with not much boost and rpms over 6k!

Old 09-26-2008, 02:32 AM
LPtech is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ard
Sounds pretty useless to me! You can trash a cold motor with thick cold oil with not much boost and rpms over 6k!

the point of the restriction isnt to see how much damage can still be caused

lots of good "at the track" pointers

Last edited by LPtech; 09-26-2008 at 02:43 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:00 PM
myfirstTT is infamous around these parts
Adam,

Great thread. I'm another new 996tt owner in Chicago. Great pointers in this thread, especially for on track. Anybody have any guidelines for winter set-up for the 996, so as to better handle Chicago's pot-holes next year?

Old 03-16-2009, 12:15 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by myfirstTT
Adam,

Great thread. I'm another new 996tt owner in Chicago. Great pointers in this thread, especially for on track. Anybody have any guidelines for winter set-up for the 996, so as to better handle Chicago's pot-holes next year?

Here's a few tips to Chicago potholes

1. Avoid driving on Cicero Ave

2. Keep your tires properly inflated even when you feel it's to cold to go out there and check

3. Swerve religiously to avoid them.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:14 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
Great thread. Thanks for all the good DE track information.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: The do's and dont's of driving a 996TT??