996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Protomotive Shipped my K24/20g's today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 04:25 PM
phillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to behold
Careful.......

The Viper is back from the shop. Rumor is...........

It has a new pulley with tune..........

Old 10-06-2008, 05:21 PM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by phillym5
Careful.......

Oooo snap

Old 10-07-2008, 09:48 PM
S4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really nice
Originally Posted by unvmym3
um yeah if you wanna blow it up sure. in addition to the full setup YOU NEED C 16 to run high boost and 1.5 is pushing it on a stock motor.

on pump you cant really run more then 1 bar. and ill say this again... if your not planing on running race gas in her in order to crank the boost up , the 18 g is a better setup for you. the 20 shine on high boost and race gas.

Thanks for your info! I currently run 20g at max 1.0~1.1 bar and beyond that my egt is getting very high. Therefore, soon I need to upgrade my injectors and fuel pump to take full advantage of 20g blower.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:04 PM
S4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really nice
Originally Posted by colorinc
you cannot run 24/20g's with the stock turbo air inlet pipes they are to restrictive and the turbos stall out... put this on the list if your are going to use the 20g's
Hey Colorinc! Can you advise me what is good replacement for stock turbo air inlet pipe. Is it similar to intake plenum offered by FVD or Proto's cone type intake system mounted about IC? Thanks!

Old 10-07-2008, 10:24 PM
Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Powell
I plan on running 1.5bar on my GT3076/K24 which is a bigger turbo. I'll see what the stock lines can support. I plan on swapping out to 72lb injectors and EVO Intake pipes.

I will probably be using C16 because I have a set of AWE straight pipes coming for the track.

Also on a side note I run 17psi on pump gas, have been for the last 6 months. As long as your a/f is good your fine.
Chris your 17psi is a spike, it drops down to 15 at redline.
Matt

Old 10-07-2008, 11:31 PM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by S4corrado996TT
Thanks for your info! I currently run 20g at max 1.0~1.1 bar and beyond that my egt is getting very high. Therefore, soon I need to upgrade my injectors and fuel pump to take full advantage of 20g blower.
ill pm ya tomorow

Old 10-08-2008, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by colorinc
ill pm ya tomorow

Thanks a lot! Colorinc! Look forward to hearing from u!

Old 10-08-2008, 08:25 AM
Acropora has a spectacular aura aboutAcropora has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by phillym5
Careful.......

Can I play?

Old 10-08-2008, 09:18 AM
madduc is a jewel in the roughmadduc is a jewel in the roughmadduc is a jewel in the rough
I'll be out this weekend....

Old 10-08-2008, 09:38 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
you went back wards , you should upgrade the injectors , pumps, intakes , etc and last the turbos. watch yoru afr's at 1 .1 bar.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !

Your egt is getting hot do to lack of fuel...but also due to a much higher IAT temp. The 20g wheels is not a good fit for the k24 housings. I recently had a customer send logs of his setup and IAT was significantly higher with the 20g wheel over the 18g wheel.

Log your IAT's when you get a second. My guess is you will see at least a 50+ degree temapture delta on a single gear pull.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:41 PM
phillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Acropora
Can I play?

Uuuummmm.............. no.

Of course... It would be cool to see that 9996.. or the 993 out and about. This weekend is supposed to be pretty nice. Im sure there will be some cool stuff crackin off.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Your asking for it... I would NEVER run 20gs on a stock fuel system.
Talk to me- I know first hand from someone who built the first 16G, 18G, and a 20g set up years a go....
I drove a 20g a few times with the full build out... and all I can say is that its a hand full... but it requires fuel and cooling.... as well as a after market intake... either the FVD, Evoms, or the Proto one... I know becasue Bobby and I did some recent testing on a car he did for someone... we did before and after the intake and the car was a pig with the stock intake.
markski

Tony( EPL)
I respectfully disagree about your conclusion of 20gs stuffed in a K24 housing... If Bobby would be a member here you guys would have an interesting conversation.... all I can say is that he did more turbo combinations on his many TTs over the years then most tuners for customers put together...
Just to give you an example....
He is the type of a guy that will make 2 different sets of turbos at the same time just to see which one is better.... and if he still doesnt like them he will make a 3rd set with a different configuration.
A full 20G set up will blow the doors of a 18g as well as give a 3076r a run for the money.... it's a long time secret tuners do not want you to know...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
Your asking for it... I would NEVER run 20gs on a stock fuel system.
Talk to me- I know first hand from someone who built the first 16G, 18G, and a 20g set up years a go....
I drove a 20g a few times with the full build out... and all I can say is that its a hand full... but it requires fuel and cooling.... as well as a after market intake... either the FVD, Evoms, or the Proto one... I know becasue Bobby and I did some recent testing on a car he did for someone... we did before and after the intake and the car was a pig with the stock intake.
markski

Tony( EPL)
I respectfully disagree about your conclusion of 20gs stuffed in a K24 housing... If Bobby would be a member here you guys would have an interesting conversation.... all I can say is that he did more turbo combinations on his many TTs over the years then most tuners for customers put together...
Just to give you an example....
He is the type of a guy that will make 2 different sets of turbos at the same time just to see which one is better.... and if he still doesnt like them he will make a 3rd set with a different configuration.
A full 20G set up will blow the doors of a 18g as well as give a 3076r a run for the money.... it's a long time secret tuners do not want you to know...
Markski-

Thank you for your comments. Do you have any hard data to base this on?

How would a 44lb wheel (20g) in a smaller housing (k24) out flow or out perform a 50+ lb wheel (3076) in a larger housing?

Old 10-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Actually, Mark, a 20 G can compete somewhat w/ the 3076 for top end power but the GT 30 is a much, much better all around turbo in many respects.

This info was from Todd K and especially from some of the best turbo builders in the country I vetted the matter with.

However the bottom line is that the 24/20's will give incredble power adn do bolt on to stock manifolds which are huge pluses.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Protomotive Shipped my K24/20g's today