996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Protomotive Shipped my K24/20g's today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
Markski-

Thank you for your comments. Do you have any hard data to base this on?

How would a 44lb wheel (20g) in a smaller housing (k24) out flow or out perform a 50+ lb wheel (3076) in a larger housing?
No data... your the data man... just street racing.... I didnt say it will outflow... but at 1.5 bars both cars on stock internals will not be apart more then 2 cars... that I know.
my point is...
for an extra 40 rwhp the $10K more one has to spend to do a gt3076r with Tial 44 mm Wgs , custom headers, exhaust work, water cooling, custom brackets to fit the tubrbos..etc etc... it simply does not add up...
His car trapped 139 mph and ran 9.9 sec. full weight on DRs...thats on stock headers and a gutted stock exhaust, etc... 2 pumps, injectors, ICs, bigger Y pipe... stock TB and a stock splitter( behind TB).
Most tuners with a gt3076r/k24 set up only ran 139 to 140 mph.... I dont want to mention names but its online.... so a $350 upgrade per 20g compressor seems like a hell of a deal when compared to other turbo options...

However,
I would take the 3076rs with all that stuff over a 20g... it just costs considerably more and the downtime is at least 3 fold... I just dont think a 20g in a KKK housing is a bad option...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Mark,

The 3076's only ended up about $7K over the 24/20's...but I got a very good deal on the adapter kit and installation, and sold my headers.

And yes the downtime was significant. You are correct that the 20's are an excellent option.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Mark,

The 3076's only ended up about $7K over the 24/20's...but I got a very good deal on the adapter kit and installation, and sold my headers.
You saved at least $3K... lol

My point is that a 20g(ported& polished with a clipped turbine wheel) set up done well is potent... I drove Bobby's set up and it was really impressive...
mark

click to view

Old 10-08-2008, 11:07 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Mark, As far as 20gs, what upgrades need to be done beyond what is typically done with the 18G's? To get setup right? Who is clipping the turbine wheels and a doing 20gs properly in your opinion?

You've been talking good about 20gs for atleast a year and a half I believe.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by TXGold
Mark, As far as 20gs, what upgrades need to be done beyond what is typically done with the 18G's? To get setup right? Who is clipping the turbine wheels and a doing 20gs properly in your opinion?

You've been talking good about 20gs for atleast a year and a half I believe.
LOL
you need basically waht a proto set up is... 60 lbs injectors, 2nd pump hooked up in the back... way better intercooler, bigger Y pipe. maf and maf housing...
a really good clutch.... 20gs... ported, polished, etc... 12 psi spring... possible the proto intake system or at least the FVd/evoms one... free flowing exhasut.... NOT 200 cel cats...lol
this is waht I have as well except I have the 76 mm TB and splitter and my fuel system is different... this set up also will work with GT3076rs but requires way more work and money...
This set up really kicks *** on Todd's ecu... he spend a lot of tuning hours on Bobby's old car...

click to view

Old 10-09-2008, 07:41 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Mark,

And yes the downtime was significant. You are correct that the 20's are an excellent option.
Trust me the GT series bolt-ons are about to get a lot cheaper than even that. The turbos themselves are much cheaper if you don't already have a set of K24s, and I'm betting in the next few months you'll see a Gt30 setup available out the door for 10K or under complete.

Last edited by onelove; 10-09-2008 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:54 AM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
Any reviews from 20's cars?

Old 10-13-2008, 05:32 AM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
We are tuning now , looking at AFRs but any ways the power is brutal, in the high revs is where they shine.... I am getting hopefully a new map from TODD today
I took them to 1,2 bars with AVGAS and my AFR was fine and nothing could catch me but still not perfect... So we will see with TODDs new map today

Old 10-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Porscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
LOL
you need basically waht a proto set up is... 60 lbs injectors, 2nd pump hooked up in the back... way better intercooler, bigger Y pipe. maf and maf housing...
a really good clutch.... 20gs... ported, polished, etc... 12 psi spring... possible the proto intake system or at least the FVd/evoms one... free flowing exhasut.... NOT 200 cel cats...lol
this is waht I have as well except I have the 76 mm TB and splitter and my fuel system is different... this set up also will work with GT3076rs but requires way more work and money...
This set up really kicks *** on Todd's ecu... he spend a lot of tuning hours on Bobby's old car...

Sounds interesting. What would you estimate the trap speed & awhp on such a setup (pump gas)? I would assume that the trap would be in the 130's?

Old 10-13-2008, 01:21 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by Porscheboy16
Sounds interesting. What would you estimate the trap speed & awhp on such a setup (pump gas)? I would assume that the trap would be in the 130's?
I hate estimating lol but on pump you run conservative 1 bar.... on 100 octane 1.2 bar.... anything above you increase the boost ....
1 bar should do 130...

click to view

Old 10-13-2008, 04:05 PM
Porscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of light
I hate estimating lol but on pump you run conservative 1 bar.... on 100 octane 1.2 bar.... anything above you increase the boost ....
1 bar should do 130...

Thanks man. I know I don't have a 996TT, but I love to learn about them. Looking to pick one up in the next 2 yrs (as the prices continue to drop).

Old 10-15-2008, 10:33 PM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
1 bar should do 130...
Mark do you have any experience with AVGAS or know anything about it?

Old 10-29-2008, 09:45 PM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
Protomotive blow through intake done and 20g's going on this week hehehe

Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2008, 09:24 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
tim congrats bro you took my advice .. your car will be scary now .... i cant even immagine...

Old 10-30-2008, 04:02 PM
erdal is infamous around these parts
coloric can you give us an update about the diff to the G18 please!!!!!!!!!!

regards

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Protomotive Shipped my K24/20g's today