996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help!!! Diagnose engine idle noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 11:01 AM
ezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond repute
How does the car feel when it drives? Is it smooth when it makes the sound? Do you feel anything?

Old 09-20-2008, 12:36 PM
spoonito is infamous around these parts
Only makes the noise on Idle as far as I can tell... Car drives fine.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:11 PM
turbo turbo is infamous around these parts
mine too, drives perfect..

Old 09-20-2008, 04:23 PM
silvershark is infamous around these parts
Noise

Check idler pulley bearings...I had similar noise. Used a stethoscope probe
and pinpointed noise. When cold and at idle makes a noise. GL

Old 09-20-2008, 05:11 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
they are all a little rattley... is ie worse with the on... have a clutch ant iwf i got from kevin and it is quite loud. sounds like lug nut in a coffie can on maybe a beer can depends on the time of day...

Old 10-01-2008, 02:04 AM
av996tt is infamous around these parts
I have the same noise too. I took it to George at Eurosport and they changed out the chain tensioners on both sides. The left one was shot, but after I picked up the car it still made the noise. He did say there was a noise ticking/clunking noise that was normal on these cars after you rev the engine. Something to do with how the shaft to the oil pump has a spline in it and it is a loose fit...something like that, I wasn't really following him. I'm planning on taking it to the Dealer in about a month and see what they say. I'm starting to think it is a common noise as most of everyone else thinks.

Anybody know how the dry sump oil pump works? and if this could be the problem after the oil heats up and the metal components start to expand. Maybe the Thermal Expansion problem??

Old 10-01-2008, 03:44 PM
how many miles on your car when you changed tensioners?

Old 10-01-2008, 03:54 PM
av996tt is infamous around these parts
33 k miles.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:48 PM
rwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of light
Mine has the same noise at idle... kind of a rattling sound. A local indy told me it was the countershaft. He just charged a guy $10K to change his.

Another local indy also said it was the countershaft and said "they all do it to varying degrees" not a problem.

Those are very different opinions... I'd like to know for sure.

I'm going to a "tech talk" session at yet another local indy tonight... I'll have him listen and get a third opinion.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:34 PM
spoonito is infamous around these parts
Thanks keep me posted. Haven't had time to take my car anywhere to get another opinion.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:56 PM
CAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond repute
Mine sounds the similar. I have had countless people tell me it is normal so I stopped asking and assume it is a normal noise. Good luck!!

Old 10-03-2008, 07:33 PM
lennyspoolin is infamous around these parts
i have the same noise. I just stared doing it and i only have 5k miles on the car.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
josh4hem is infamous around these parts
Does the noise go away when clutch is in?
From my experience, when i hear a complaint about a noise at idle I think dual mass is cause of the noise and it can be intermittent. What happens is after the clutch is in there for a while the clutch material can get into the absorbing area of the flywheel and prevent it from absorbing vibration from the engine, thus causing transfer to gear box. Thats why you get simlar noise when you change the flywheel to a single mass. I find this more common on non turbo 996 though but have seen it on turbos too

Old 10-04-2008, 01:10 PM
mine has 15,500 miles and makes the same sound as everyone else's and no problems so far.. keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:46 PM
SXN
SXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to behold
Mine sounds similar like this.. its a loud clicking noise too! I'm assuming it's a missfire but I'm hoping someone will help me figure out what it is.

Here's my thread:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ease-help.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help!!! Diagnose engine idle noise