996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help!!! Diagnose engine idle noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 11:41 AM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
intermediate shaft noise....most turbos does have this noise ....but this noise is near on the end of tolerance

Old 03-05-2009, 11:43 AM
SXN
SXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to behold
sounds like it's coming from my engine though??
I have the wheel off and can confirm its not coming from the turbo.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:53 AM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
haave an 01 the 1st thing i noticed compaired to my 86 t it sounded like can of nuts in the engine bay and was worse when the air was on(reallybad) that was many modes ago and 10,000 miles the car still runs strong . porsche said no prob as did every tner the listened to it soooooooo i would not worry imo

Old 06-10-2011, 07:22 PM
nizmolee is infamous around these parts
does your car still make this noise? Im concerned too, my car just started doing it a month ago, its at 129k. My mechanic jack german car in santa ana said it could be that intemediate shaft, he wants to drop a rebuild engine 13k. that alot. It doesnt sound right on my NA 99 996. the sound doesnt go away. At idle its low, when you drive it, its like a can getting louder. Jack checked the plugs they were fine, we were thinking something might be hitting this.. this really cant be normal .. and safe to drive..

Old 06-11-2011, 06:16 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spoonito
Ok, a couple weeks ago I noticed that it was making some different/weird noises at idle when fully warmed up. It doesn't do it all the time. Maybe 3-4 times in the past 2.5 weeks. It only does it when warmed up (and not always). Oil is roughly 4 months old but topped off with new oil every so often (I travel alot so the car sits for some time). I checked to make sure that the oil wasn't low (according to the computer). Car otherwise seems to drive fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXwRL-U083c
Change your oil and check for metal by cutting the filter apart. Get a blackstone oil analysis done also and see what they come back with. Sounds like either lifter noise or chain noise. What type of oil do you use? If their isn't metal in the filter try a series of short interval oil changes. say 3 at 500 mile intervals. This is essentially a oil flush. It is possible that you have deposits or gunk causing a lifter to stick. The intervals Porsche suggest for oil changes is ludicris. If you are not changing you oil every 3k miles than you are leaving all sorts of possibilities for garbage to be in your oil as well as running broken down oil. A turbocharged car might as well be an oil refinery. The heat cycles the turbos induce will make short work of even the best oil you can get. Any oil changes over 3k intervals on a turbo car is asking for premature wear and other issues IMHO. If these things don't turn anything up or help pull the variocam solonoid and look for metal in there. Their have been a few variocam failures happening anf the last I read about was found by pulling the variocam solonoid. When pulled they found metal on the solonoid.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:29 AM
rwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of lightrwilliamtaylor is a glorious beacon of light
Part of what I hear is the same as mine, but I hear something else knocking in yours. I have confirmed from multiple sources including an engine builder here in SD that the rattle is normal. The guy that had his repaired, for $10k, ended up with the exact same noise... He's now suing the Indy.

I would dig a bit deeper with yours to make sure the normal rattle these cars make is not maskng something else.

Good luck... This stuff can take some of the joy out of driving can't it?