996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Recaro Pole Position vs GT3 Seat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 12:22 PM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
Recaro Pole Position vs GT3 Seat

are these exactly the same in terms of size etc ?

Old 09-24-2008, 01:14 PM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
& do both have the same mounting brackets ??

Old 09-24-2008, 02:18 PM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
Seat materials differ. Depending. Don't forget you have [I think] Nomex fabric on one version of the GT3 and all leather +leather with alcantra inserts on the other. They Nomex version is almost identical.

Be careful that you don't get the narrow version of the Recaro, unless you are built like a f1 driver. They are strictly track seats and very tight.

Mounts: I have GT3s in my GT2 and the mounts looked identical to me. [I swapped my seats to even out wear. The only difference is in left to right mounts.]. If no one gives a better response I may try to dig Pole Position out of storage and verify.
JR

Old 09-24-2008, 05:07 PM
fivelitre is infamous around these parts
I've recently had Recaro Pole Positions fit into my 996GT2 after looking around at my options.

Went with the Pole Positions purely for aesthetics as I preferred the narrow'er seat back top as opposed to the larger/wider GT3 type. My opinion is that the sizing feels identical on both seats, details for the Pole Position sizing here: http://www.capitalseating.co.uk/prod...&appid=&rid=25"Shell Technical Specification"

Recaro do a 996 Specific Fitting Kit with choice of Aluminium or Steel Side Mounts in Black or Brushed Alu, the only difference on the base mount is that the GT3 Seat has a single arm Slider, whereas the Pole Position has a bar running accross the full seat to adjust fore and aft.

C.

Last edited by fivelitre; 09-24-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:21 AM
David9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond repute
Pole position

In my GT3

Last edited by David9962000; 12-11-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:57 PM
RCH
Banned
tvm for the pic & you didn't like the OEM gt3 seats I guess ?

Old 09-28-2008, 08:35 PM
mglamarche is infamous around these parts
The GT3 seat is far superior. The cushioning effect is more comfortable than the Pole Position and it will more comfortably accommodate drivers over 5' 10". I purchased the Pole Position for my turbo and was quickly learned how unsafe and ineffective it made my 5-point harness system during the first use at the track. The holes in the Pole Position are too low to allow the straps to come from the roll bar at 0 degrees or straight over the shoulders, such that they will bend over the shoulders at 45 degrees from the horizontal. Instead, the strap of the harness goes from the roll bar, down to the holes in the Pole Position seat and then must come up again to cross over the shoulders and then down to the buckle. If there were a frontal collision, all of the forces would be directed down the long axis of the spinal column. This is a very bad thing and contrary to the reason for having a racing seat and roll bar. I gave these seats to my smaller son for his WRX (and looking cool for driving to and from school) and purchased the GT3 seats from Suncoast Porsche. They are a very comfortable and safe seat. Good Luck!

Michael

Old 09-28-2008, 08:46 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by mglamarche
The GT3 seat is far superior. The cushioning effect is more comfortable than the Pole Position and it will more comfortably accommodate drivers over 5' 10". I purchased the Pole Position for my turbo and was quickly learned how unsafe and ineffective it made my 5-point harness system during the first use at the track. The holes in the Pole Position are too low to allow the straps to come from the roll bar at 0 degrees or straight over the shoulders, such that they will bend over the shoulders at 45 degrees from the horizontal. Instead, the strap of the harness goes from the roll bar, down to the holes in the Pole Position seat and then must come up again to cross over the shoulders and then down to the buckle. If there were a frontal collision, all of the forces would be directed down the long axis of the spinal column. This is a very bad thing and contrary to the reason for having a racing seat and roll bar. I gave these seats to my smaller son for his WRX (and looking cool for driving to and from school) and purchased the GT3 seats from Suncoast Porsche. They are a very comfortable and safe seat. Good Luck!

Michael

I dont know about you, but my pole positions fit perfectly in my GT3...and I feel them actually to be superior to the fitment of the OEM gt3 seats despite the OEM title. They arent as comfortable, but they still arent bad...

-Drew

Old 09-29-2008, 12:58 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Drew, It probably has more to do with the torso size of Michael as compared to you. Seats are an issue where two people, both the same "height" but different sizes can make a big difference in fitment. Michael caught it where a lot of guys miss the whole "parts have to work together to truly be safe" thing comes into play. I'm dealing with that right now on my track car as the idiot who welded in the braces for the base of the seat "foundation" (me) made them to high up in the tunnel and now has to "redo them" to get the seat to fit properly for harness-thru seat port- alignment. Nothing like doing the same job twice.

Mike

Old 09-29-2008, 10:38 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Drew, It probably has more to do with the torso size of Michael as compared to you. Seats are an issue where two people, both the same "height" but different sizes can make a big difference in fitment. Michael caught it where a lot of guys miss the whole "parts have to work together to truly be safe" thing comes into play. I'm dealing with that right now on my track car as the idiot who welded in the braces for the base of the seat "foundation" (me) made them to high up in the tunnel and now has to "redo them" to get the seat to fit properly for harness-thru seat port- alignment. Nothing like doing the same job twice.

Mike
true true...but I found the GT3 seats to be the pole positions with extra winglets and more padding...that said, you are right in that there is extra fab that must be done with the pole positions...as was the case with my SPGs in my turbo.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:23 AM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
subscribed to this thread. Lots of great info in here. thanks guys.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Pole POsition Vs. GT3 Seats

Aside from the fact, the Pole Position seats are far less costly than the GT3 seats and perhaps to some, equally as comfortable, there is nothing more important than safety and that is the true issue being addressed here. I am 6' tall and the Pole Position will not allow for correct alignment of the 5-point harness, but the GT3 seat does. My 5' 10" son has my almost new Pole Position seats in his WRX because they look "cool", but he couldn't use them at the track either unless he were to take out all of the seat padding and bolt the seats directly to the floor.

Michael

Old 09-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
And for anyone with another type car thinking of doing that, they should consider 1/4 fronting and backing plates in 4X4 inch minimum squares (6X6 inch square is ideal) to spread the load and use grade 8 bolt hardware.

Mike

Old 09-29-2008, 08:06 PM
Exclamation

Right on Mike!!!

Michael