996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Fabspeed Cats causing CEL-dealer says they are defective-Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:58 AM
tcb996TT is infamous around these parts
Fabspeed Cats causing CEL-dealer says they are defective-Alternatives?

Hey Guys:
My CEL came on and apparently my 1-1/2 year old Fabspeed cats are diagnosed as the problem and in need of replacement.
To replace the cats they are quoting me $1600, nfw.
Any ideas on a better way to go and keep the CEL from coming on all the time?
Thanks,
TCB

Old 09-25-2008, 12:09 PM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
Call fabspeed, they are good people and should stand behind there product,unless you ever ran leaded fuel? You could try the secondary o2 spacer, it might just give you enough not to throw a light.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
did they say of the cats are disintegrating or something? Doesn't fabspeed have some sort of warranty on them. I would call them up and tell them the problem. Maybe they can swap them out. I have had mine for only about 4 months now with no problem. I know there are others that have had them much longer, so maybe you just got a bad set? I would hope their better made than just 1-2 years.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:19 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
I had exact same problem... Call or email Jeremy@fabspeed.com and he will overnight new cats. Once I installed the new ones I have had no more CELs. Jeremy told me that they got some bad cats but he is happy to trade them for new cats. He also told me that the new cats have less backpressure than the old cats. Jeremy is a pleasure to deal with and will correct your problem immediately.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:36 PM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by MBailey
I had exact same problem... Call or email Jeremy@fabspeed.com and he will overnight new cats. Once I installed the new ones I have had no more CELs. Jeremy told me that they got some bad cats but he is happy to trade them for new cats. He also told me that the new cats have less backpressure than the old cats. Jeremy is a pleasure to deal with and will correct your problem immediately.
+1 Jeremy is the man to deal with, I've had my system for 4 years, zero issues

Old 09-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Thanks Guys, I did call Jeremy and discussed the problem. He wants me to send them back to him, but my options at this point are "reconditioning" at $900 or new ones at $1200- (the Porsche dealer evidently threw on his 25% in my initial quote ...
Jeremy asked me if I have ever run leaded race fuel in the car, and I absolutely have not...apparently that does muck up the internals and they are done most of the time.
I have run the VP MS109 in the car, just for kicks, not for track.
I really hate to spend $900 bucks on Cats, what a waste of money, in my mind.
Jeremy did not offer to replace them.
Anyone out there have a "used" set that is not fried?
All help is appreciated!
TCB

Old 09-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
At least they didn't lie to you and tell you they would be replaced free......then once they had them, changed their mind and literally held them for ransom until I paid them $400. At one point, I had to ask them to take a picture of the cats so I could see if they were being mis-treated.

HORRIBLE experience......avoid them if possible.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:52 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Not really a fix, but can your tuner turn off your rear O2's? Can't hurt to try?

Old 09-25-2008, 07:05 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tcb996TT
Thanks Guys, I did call Jeremy and discussed the problem. He wants me to send them back to him, but my options at this point are "reconditioning" at $900 or new ones at $1200- (the Porsche dealer evidently threw on his 25% in my initial quote ...
Jeremy asked me if I have ever run leaded race fuel in the car, and I absolutely have not...apparently that does muck up the internals and they are done most of the time.
I have run the VP MS109 in the car, just for kicks, not for track.
I really hate to spend $900 bucks on Cats, what a waste of money, in my mind.
Jeremy did not offer to replace them.
Anyone out there have a "used" set that is not fried?
All help is appreciated!
TCB
I would ask him why he wont replace them. He gave me no trouble whatsoever. It seems like cats should last the life of the car...

Old 09-25-2008, 08:25 PM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ttboost
Not really a fix, but can your tuner turn off your rear O2's? Can't hurt to try?
+1^^^^

Old 09-25-2008, 08:33 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
+1 just get a good flash and wont need to worry about it.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Thanks guys, good recommendations that I will pursue prior to spending exhorbitant money on worthless cats that only rob me of the power that I have spent thousands to achieve....
I will call Jeremy tomorrow and ask him why he is not "having mercy upon me" with this situation, I agree that this is something that should need replacement.
Not sure about the reflash/reprogram to "de-recognize" the 02 sensors in the rear, but worth pursuing also.
Shark, what did they charge you the $400 for, was it reconditioning or replacement with new ones?
thanks for the ideas and help folks!
TCB

Old 09-25-2008, 10:17 PM
KandyRedCoi is infamous around these parts
uhhh put the OEM cats back on

from my experience aftermarket cats always have problems

Old 09-25-2008, 10:33 PM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KandyRedCoi
uhhh put the OEM cats back on

from my experience aftermarket cats always have problems
Are you saying he should cut the cats off his stock exhaust, and gut up his fabspeed and weld them on...?

Bad Idea...

Old 09-25-2008, 11:18 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
have fabspeed send you the cat bypass pipes as a free replacement. they would save some of their money as they only cost about the difference in what they are asking you to pay....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed Cats causing CEL-dealer says they are defective-Alternatives?