996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

HELP, ebrake rubbing badly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 08:57 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
HELP, ebrake rubbing badly

Hello all, I need some help. I've installed a Porsche OEM carbon fiber ebrake in my 996tt. The ebrake is rubbing badly against my center console. So much so that it's badly scratched the side of my ebrake. Am I doing something wrong? Is there anything I should look for? Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2008, 11:00 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
do you have the correct console?

Old 09-26-2008, 11:42 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
I installed the oem carbon fiber e-brake and there is plenty of clearance. Not sure why it is happening to you.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:19 AM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
I'm at a loss too. I believe it's the correct console. When I bought my Porsche a few months ago this is the console that it came with. I don't know if you can tell anything from the picture but here is anyway.

Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2008, 12:53 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
They are 2 blue or green plastic tabs that attach to the metal part of the handbrake assembly. They are rectangular in shape. I think the closer to the driver seat side is placed using the wrong orientation. If you placed it wrong, it will move the whole console 2mm toward the back, causing that rubbing effect. You don't need to take apart the whole thing. Just loose the front screws and back, lift the back of the console, locate the plastic tab and rotate it, place it again and screw everything back together. It will work.
I hope this helps!

joel

Old 09-27-2008, 09:18 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
They are 2 blue or green plastic tabs that attach to the metal part of the handbrake assembly. They are rectangular in shape. I think the closer to the driver seat side is placed using the wrong orientation. If you placed it wrong, it will move the whole console 2mm toward the back, causing that rubbing effect. You don't need to take apart the whole thing. Just loose the front screws and back, lift the back of the console, locate the plastic tab and rotate it, place it again and screw everything back together. It will work.
I hope this helps!

joel
Mine is a hairline away from rubbing after I installed a painted center console. I checked the console, it's the same OEM part number. Could you explain this again? I'm not sure I understand your solution. Pictures would be even better.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:47 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
check the pic...
The red circle indicates where this green tab is located. If your console is rubbing your handbrake base, you most likely rotated this tab. (the tab is rectangular and can go inside the metal notch either way but only one way will clear)
If your console is rubbing after installation, remove, rotate and re-install the green tab.

Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2008, 09:53 AM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
check the pic...
The red circle indicates where this green tab is located. If your console is rubbing your handbrake base, you most likely rotated this tab. (the tab is rectangular and can go inside the metal notch either way but only one way will clear)
If your console is rubbing after installation, remove, rotate and re-install the green tab.
Is this tab connected to the handbrake assembly or the console? I assume it is attached to the handbrake assembly and it will move the handbrake back slightly when rotated.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by 9Eleven
Is this tab connected to the handbrake assembly or the console? I assume it is attached to the handbrake assembly and it will move the handbrake back slightly when rotated.
ok, let me be a bit more clear on this...
You most likely replaced the handbrake assembly with a new one.
You took the old one from the car and installed the new one via the 4 screws that actually attach to the body of the car.
Then, after that's done, you need to transfer the green/blue tabs from your old e-brake assembly to your newly installed one. They are the anchor points for your console and they don't move your ebrake assembly in any way. Your ebrake is solidly placed on the car by now. This green tabs, when instaled in the wrong direction, will move the console anchor points 2mm towards the back, making the console too close to the ebrake and creating the rub. Those are the ones creating the problem.
I hope this clears up the installation process!

joel

Old 09-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Here are the blue tabs on my car. Does this look right to you?

Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2008, 04:17 PM
they look fine. The one that may cause the problem is the one closer to the lever.
Also, check the front tabs (the ones in front of the stick shift) that they are properly placed/seated.
Good luck and let me know...
joel