996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New GIAC/Hitachi MAF conversion kit for 996TT applications is coming soon!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Sweet Agency Power F-Hose

Old 10-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by silvershark
I just blew #8 Bosch MAF this past weekend. Will there be a tune for the
Stage IV 640GT? And if I upgrade my fuel system to GT700 will the software
be able to be reprogrammed?
Hi Silvershark,

Eight MAF replacements has to be frustrating. If you e-mail me a list of all the upgrades you have on your car, perhaps we can help you trouble shoot in the interim. We will most likely have a Hitachi MAF tune for both the stock injector and the 60 lb injector/fuel pump upgrade kits. The plot above is on our own 996TT with the same turbo and fueling upgrade. The next step for this car will be to upgrade the intercoolers. I will keep you posted.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by D33PBLU3
High Altitude tune capable?

High altitude should not be an issue but we will check it with one or more of our distributors in either Denver, Salt Lake City, Albuquerque or Mexico City.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 996TT_STEVO
Is this just a straight replacement MAF you are offering?
In a way, yes. The kit would just replace the stock MAF with a more durable one. We would like it to be compatible with lots of different company's intake setups as well as the stock one. The sensor used in this conversion definitely outputs a different signal than the stock one, which needs a proper software recalibration. We have more experience than any other tuner when it comes to Hitachi MAF conversion calibrations, in fact I believe we were the first to do it for the 996TT.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:57 PM
silvershark is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Andrew@GIAC
Hi Silvershark,

Eight MAF replacements has to be frustrating. If you e-mail me a list of all the upgrades you have on your car, perhaps we can help you trouble shoot in the interim. We will most likely have a Hitachi MAF tune for both the stock injector and the 60 lb injector/fuel pump upgrade kits. The plot above is on our own 996TT with the same turbo and fueling upgrade. The next step for this car will be to upgrade the intercoolers. I will keep you posted.
PM sent

Old 10-02-2008, 01:03 AM
audiguy05 is infamous around these parts
What type of metering is the oem and hitachi maf? Karman, Hotwire, ect?

Old 10-02-2008, 01:47 AM
SSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond reputeSSMugen has a reputation beyond repute
I'm sure the GIAC stuff works, but wouldn't you think a custom tune for your specific application would be a better choice vs. off the shelf tuning? If I were in range of EVO, EPL or one of those that do custom tunes that tune to YOUR specific car wouldn't that be your first choice... Am I missing something here? Isn't this off the shelf stuff old news?

Old 10-02-2008, 05:25 AM
yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ssmugen
I'm sure the GIAC stuff works, but wouldn't you think a custom tune for your specific application would be a better choice vs. off the shelf tuning? If I were in range of EVO, EPL or one of those that do custom tunes that tune to YOUR specific car wouldn't that be your first choice... Am I missing something here? Isn't this off the shelf stuff old news?
i think you're right SS, there are no two cars that are exactly the same (hp, torque, etc.)

Last edited by yllwturbo; 10-02-2008 at 05:28 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:53 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Uh..... GIAC does custom tuning.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by audiguy05
What type of metering is the oem and hitachi maf? Karman, Hotwire, ect?
That is a very interesting question... The Hitachi is hotwire MAF which outputs a range of volts from zero to five. The Karman would output a square wave that would not be as compatable in this application.

Incidentally, we are releasing a Supercharger kit with VF-Engineering and AWE-Tuning for your car that you may be interested in. Here is some discussion on it....

audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223518

Old 10-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
GIAC would do a custom tune for a local or shipped customer aswell. If the customer can't or does not wish to ship though - and go to a local dealer, I think then they have the most available options by far.

That should round it out pretty well. Just FYI I have done it both ways and seen pretty close results.

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 10-02-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Former Vendor
In some cases where the hardware on a given platform has changed from what the original calibration was meant for, a custom tune may be required. Today there are many more reliable hardware options than there were seven years ago when we started tuning 996TT big turbo kits. We have always done custom tuning, but the demand has always been very high, while the supply of time and custom hardware kits with high potential for success has been low. Time is still in short supply but, as the hardware in the market place has improved and proven its merit we have been able to take more and more custom tuning requests. In fact, for the last few months we have had either 996TT's or 997TT's here all but two or three days. The wait to get a custom tuning slot may take some time, but the result will be worth it. If you are in Southern California then you are local. If you are not local there are several of our dealers that have appropriate test cells to do custom tuning with us. Give us a call if you have any questions. 949-724-0014.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:35 PM
audiguy05 is infamous around these parts
Andrew, I have been reading about the Supercharger kit for some time. I think it would be a perfect addition to the intake system and the Milltek that is on the car now. Finally some options, thank you.

About the Hitachi MAF, since it is a hotwire, have you guys tooled around with the idea of using a GM 3" MAF in blow through mode further upstream in the intake piping. You would then be able to use any type of blowoff/bypass valve you want (maybe Tials) and use any type of intake setup you want, size wouldn't matter since it would be in blow through mode. I am actually doing the same on my mitsu.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:36 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Andrew a question for you. By looking at the Dyno sheet on first page, how do you explain the two dips? Why is that happening with all Giac software? I saw the same thing happen with my GT28R plus Giac set up. My car hit 1.5bar on pump mode several times, not a spike, and I even replaced the boost control valve, it is still happening. I have had misfire issues and the car is in limp mode. Not to mention I have blown around 7 MAFs.

Art

Old 10-07-2008, 12:15 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
wow sooo many problems with giac. wassup?!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.