996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New GIAC/Hitachi MAF conversion kit for 996TT applications is coming soon!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 05:24 AM
Mz3bo is infamous around these parts
I will never ever buy GIAC product again since the last time I spent 2500$CAD to have my 996TT flashed and being told 2 years later by Giac and the speed shop (when I traded my 996TT for another 996TT (03 vs 04) that it cannot be transfered. It is so easy and simple, but Giac was not willing to work into that pathway... i felt ripped off big time... That was my opinion in the case toward Giac product.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by art4iza
Andrew a question for you. By looking at the Dyno sheet on first page, how do you explain the two dips? Why is that happening with all Giac software? I saw the same thing happen with my GT28R plus Giac set up. My car hit 1.5bar on pump mode several times, not a spike, and I even replaced the boost control valve, it is still happening. I have had misfire issues and the car is in limp mode. Not to mention I have blown around 7 MAFs.

Art
Art,

We were unaware that you were having any issues with your setup. Please shoot me a PM so that we can work on things from there.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mz3bo
I will never ever buy GIAC product again since the last time I spent 2500$CAD to have my 996TT flashed and being told 2 years later by Giac and the speed shop (when I traded my 996TT for another 996TT (03 vs 04) that it cannot be transfered. It is so easy and simple, but Giac was not willing to work into that pathway... i felt ripped off big time... That was my opinion in the case toward Giac product.
It's unfortunate that you feel this is an issue with our company. However, I can assure that we are not the only performance software company that functions in this manner. Prior to purchase, all potential customers can note that we list that here on our website: http://giacusa.com/returnsnupgrades.php.

For what it's worth, we have offered a transfer service just as you speak of, to better cater to our customers who wish to do what you did. Our transfer process can be a bit complicated as our immobilizer key is heavily tied to the cars immobilizer, which must be removed from the old car, from our system and a new key created for the new car. If we do not do all of these steps, we will have two chips out there for the price of one. The system is designed to follow the VIN.

If a car is simply flashed back to stock and the new owner comes back in for a reflash. Our system will consider it a reflash, whether the new owner knows it or not.

Last edited by Andrew@GIAC; 10-07-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:44 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
so bascally your paying for just usage. prog isn't worth anything if you want to transfer? that sux.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by oak
so bascally your paying for just usage. prog isn't worth anything if you want to transfer? that sux.
You seemed to have misunderstood what I said in the previous post, or perhaps I worded that poorly.

The ownership was designed to follow the car, per the VIN.

BUT

There is a service that we have elected to do in many cases. In which, we removed the GIAC software and key from the customer's previous vehicle and moved it to the new VIN, updating our server appropriately. Since this service takes a bit of work, we do charge a fee. Further, the transfer has to be like to like vehicles and must happen within a certain time period.

We have done transfers for several 6 speed member and they worked out perfectly fine. We also have other Porsche customers that change cars literally every few months or try to transfer credit to unrelated vehicles which required their own development costs. It is also very common for customers to go into a GIAC dealer for a flash, only to find that there Pre-owned Porsche already has a GIAC flash registered to their VIN. The dealer can then reflash that car with no charge from GIAC.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:51 PM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Austin@GIAC
You seemed to have misunderstood what I said in the previous post, or perhaps I worded that poorly.

The ownership was designed to follow the car, per the VIN.

BUT

There is a service that we have elected to do in many cases. In which, we removed the GIAC software and key from the customer's previous vehicle and moved it to the new VIN, updating our server appropriately. Since this service takes a bit of work, we do charge a fee. Further, the transfer has to be like to like vehicles and must happen within a certain time period.

We have done transfers for several 6 speed member and they worked out perfectly fine. We also have other Porsche customers that change cars literally every few months or try to transfer credit to unrelated vehicles which required their own development costs. It is also very common for customers to go into a GIAC dealer for a flash, only to find that there Pre-owned Porsche already has a GIAC flash registered to their VIN. The dealer can then reflash that car with no charge from GIAC.
So Austin,

Since I have purchased stage 3, 650, and 700 flashes can I resale them since I no longer use them?

Old 10-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Wah! Whaaaaa! Stop you snivelling.

This is how it works. The flas goes with the car with some minor exceptions for loyal customers. That's how it's licensed. Don't buy it if you don't want to agree the terms.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 10-07-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:17 PM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ari
Wah! Whaaaaa!

Stop you snivelling. This is how it works. That's how it's licensed. Don't buy it if you don't want to agree the terms.
Haha Ari. Are you refering to my simple question?

Austin stated it was possible to transfer programs, and it's been done on here before. Also i have seen in cases on this board, members selling their flashes. Thus my question is a fair and legit conern.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
"Can't we ALL just get along?!"

Old 10-07-2008, 01:33 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
that's bs. no giac for me.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Mz3bo is infamous around these parts
When my 996TT was flashed, there was no "key" or immobilizer or anything related to that involved. They guy came with a laptop, plugged it in, downloaded something, connects to the internet, downloaded something else, flashed my car and VOILA... Now, just take my Vin, send the file to the shop where I flahsed my previous car, send them a new file and charge me a little "whatever" transfer fee and you will gain New customers with 100% loyaalty and satisfaction

I know about the terms and conditions and bla bla bla and you mention many tuners/performance software will not transfer the chip. well, it's time your step forward and offer such service and be in advance over competition...

Old 10-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Not talking about you at all. Ninenine6. I have no beef with you.

Where does it end? IE Let's pretend I owned a Jetta that I had flashed, then I buy a TT, should I be allowed to trade the flash in? The rules are simple. The flash goes with the car, unless the tuner allows for upgrades to the same car... Otherwise the rules above punish the larger tuners simply because they support more cars and models.

Originally Posted by NineNineSixTT
Haha Ari. Are you refering to my simple question?

Austin stated it was possible to transfer programs, and it's been done on here before. Also i have seen in cases on this board, members selling their flashes. Thus my question is a fair and legit conern.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 10-07-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by art4iza
Andrew a question for you. By looking at the Dyno sheet on first page, how do you explain the two dips? Why is that happening with all Giac software? I saw the same thing happen with my GT28R plus Giac set up. My car hit 1.5bar on pump mode several times, not a spike, and I even replaced the boost control valve, it is still happening. I have had misfire issues and the car is in limp mode. Not to mention I have blown around 7 MAFs.

Art

Hi Art

It was good to talk to you the other day. I see one dip that is due to heat soak. The car in the plot that you are asking about is running stock inter-coolers on 91 octane. At this power level they are outside their efficiency and timing is appropriately dropping there. Our hitachi MAF conversion will solve the failing MAF issue. If you do some research on these boards you will find that blowing the OEM MAF is not a tuner specific problem. I talked to Sam about your misfire issue and he thought the best thing for your car would be to have a custom file written given some hardware differences between his and your car. From what he has told me about your car vs. the other more standard SG kits a custom tune may be the best course of action. Give me a call and we can work out a time for you to come over. 949-724-0014.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:06 PM
ronkain is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mz3bo
When my 996TT was flashed, there was no "key" or immobilizer or anything related to that involved. They guy came with a laptop, plugged it in, downloaded something, connects to the internet, downloaded something else, flashed my car and VOILA... Now, just take my Vin, send the file to the shop where I flahsed my previous car, send them a new file and charge me a little "whatever" transfer fee and you will gain New customers with 100% loyaalty and satisfaction

I know about the terms and conditions and bla bla bla and you mention many tuners/performance software will not transfer the chip. well, it's time your step forward and offer such service and be in advance over competition...
the download was the "KEY" file that is unique to your "VIN"
you would then need to flash that VIN back to stock software to be eligible to transfer to another like car. Hope that helps you understand.

Thanks, Ron

Old 10-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ari
...Don't buy it if you don't want to agree the terms.
There's an idea.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.