996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

RUF to use Ohlins Suspension System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 01:22 AM
KompressorKev is infamous around these parts
RUF to use Ohlins Suspension System

hi,

not sure if this is a repost, but i thought it was a worthwhile finding. when stumbling across the Ohlins newsletter of May 2004, it had an article describing that RUF is now going to use Ohlins suspension systems to offer in their 996 RTurbo.

--------- The suspension system is named "Dual Ride Height System". it includes Shock Absorbers, Springs, and the adjustable dual-ride-height module. by the press of a button, the driver can select two ride-heights, with adjustability of (up to) 5 centimeters. Ohlins claims both settings have identical suspension characteristics in both ride-height settings. ----------

"Fundamentally the system is fairly simple and consists of a hydraulic pump and hydraulic actuators for the suspension of each wheel. The hydraulic actuators are circular and are mounted between the springs and their platforms with the shock absorber running through the middle. The actuators can be used to shift the position of the platform to lift or lower the car whiel the shock absorber is lengthened to the required extension without being affected in any other way. In this way there is no change in performance."

to my understanding, RUF previously used Bilstein PSS-9 Coilovers for their suspension kits. i have heard news about Bilstein PSS-9's riding on bump stops and related problems when they're lowered too much, even to GT2-spec heights. perhaps RUF had similar problems, or their contract with Bilstein came up or something?

just for a heads up, as i have not seen any Ohlins suspensions installed on 996 Turbos. i always thought Ohlins was more in the league of Moton and JRZ and Penske than Bilstein or H&R (maybe cause Ohlins is from the Netherlands ). as i know it now, though, it will be tough for a suspension to prove itself to match the legendary Moton or JRZ. i also know RUF is popular, so maybe we will see this in the market soon? perhaps this is a new suspension alternative?

for reference, here's the complete article: Ohlins RUF Article

- kevin

Old 08-23-2004, 01:30 AM
this system is electronically-adjustable via RUF's own design. Ohlins developed this in-house with RUF as representatives of both companies tested it on RUF's own backyard roads.

Old 08-23-2004, 03:09 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
I read about this new RUF suspension in the October Excellence las night. (page 106). Sounds real interesting. The suspension ride height increases up to 2 inches below 19 mph. It would be great to be able to add on this function to other aftermarket set-ups. It would be great to be able to slam the car and still have the ability to drive it in everday situations.

Mike

Old 08-23-2004, 03:14 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Ohlins is a manufacturer of many different types of shocks. This was designed with Ruf to be a street-friendly setup similar to PSS-9 but with the ride height adjustment. I'm sure if you want a 3 or 4-way adjustable system that can compete with the JRZ's, they can do that too, as that is their specialty.

However, many race guys I talk to say that winning ALMS teams are using JRZ...

Old 08-23-2004, 07:58 AM
yea from what i've heard JRZ and Motons are real race stuff that can be tuned for the street and are proven to win races. i guess this RUF setup is not as hardcore racing as the two aforementioned, maybe a more luxurious ride?

Old 08-23-2004, 03:05 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Probably. Although what is unclear is which version of the Ohlins system they are using in the RGT RS!

Old 08-23-2004, 10:38 PM
Zlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant future
Re: RUF to use Ohlins Suspension System

Originally posted by KompressorKev
(maybe cause Ohlins is from the Netherlands ).
Isn't Öhlins from Sweden? I may be wrong though..

Old 08-24-2004, 04:53 AM
luting_chen is infamous around these parts
hehehehe...this is what i really wanted... ^__^
perhaps the time the switch out the ruf pss9 ^________^