996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

M3 owners........P Envy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 07:53 AM
dgussin1 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by BCS996TT
Not sure how much your mods cost...but 500.00 for 100HP is pretty damn cheap!
a bone stock cobra puts down approx 350-370rwhp. you buy a smaller blower pulley $100, an intake $150, a catback exhaust system $350, and a custom chip $350. and you will be around 470rwhp and 485rwtq. Thats about $1000 and you have over a 120hp gain. Thats pretty cheap if you ask me, and unlike the upsolute chip alone, you now have an exhaust and a intake.

Old 08-23-2004, 08:30 AM
Dabum is infamous around these parts
Yeah 120HP is pretty crazy for a grand.

My 360 with tubi sounds fantastic, better then most other cars I hear on the road. I still think Diablo's sound stunning though.

Old 08-23-2004, 08:32 AM
Banned
Life Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud of
Can't argue with that. I was driving down from Tahoe once and when I got to the bottom of the hill I hear this buzzing sound. I am thinking, WTF is that? Look behind me and there is a purple diablo. The sound was fantasticoerotico.

Old 08-23-2004, 09:53 AM
NJPete996TT is infamous around these parts
It happens on a fairly regular basis to me, and its not isolated to just M3s. I have had everyone from an E55 to a late 80's Civic want a "shot at the title."

As far as M3s that want to race go, i think its just the next step in the "evolutionary process" of high performance sports cars. Just like most TT owners would like to race a Ferrari or lambo, I believe the next "step up" for an M3 would be a TT.

Last edited by NJPete996TT; 08-23-2004 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:28 PM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
Yeah... I guess when I tuned 380rwhp on street gas out of a 1.9L built Miata motor with a fully programmable ECU for road racing(which I tuned), or 700+ HP out of a Supra, I must have just cranked up the boost. Oh yeah, you have yet to say what part of the building process you contributed to for your badazz car other than funding it.

Props to you for working hard for your money, but I'm sure most of us did on this forum. Of course, most of us don't feel the need to put other people down. You'd think your house is full of **** that is the BEST of the world or something... look up mr. superlatives in the dictionary, and we'll see your mug.

As I've said, I've never knocked Protomotive. In fact, I was a fan of them based on your car's performance. However, you knock everyone all day long, talking like a big shot. LOL, the only one that thinks you're a big shot is the guy in the mirror.

And how fittingly, when I question why you're such an arrogant elitist, your response was to ask me if I want to race... how so very predictable of you....

"Call me elitist all you want, but who in their right mind would take an M3 over a 996 Turbo if price was equal??? So is my statement NOT true?"
What a stupid *** statement...

And btw, I suppose if the world were that black and white, then we'd all be driving what you're driving, wearing what you're wearing, combing our hair just like you, blah blah blah... give me a break.

There are fun cars at all price points. I can feel like a million bucks behind my Turbo or ripping up the track in my S2000, because I'm loving life. I have a love affair with cars. But I guess for you to feel like a real man, you have to have what's the best according to you and knock everything else... so that you can feel good about yourself... give me a break. Oh so narrow-minded... my guess is that you've never traveled extensively to Europe/Asia to see the world... or are young (no offense to those in their teens or 20's), arrogant, and immature... or just plain unintelligent.

Dude, no one questions how "fast" your car is. You simply have a total attitude problem. But, that's simply a difference between you and me, so let's leave it at that. I'm done...

Originally posted by Hamann7
Well, that was quite profound. Humility? WHY? If you're too cheap to understand the difference between **** that works and **** that just turns up your boost, there is no reason for me not to call you on it.

I make my money by working for it. When I buy great things, I rave about them so others can feel my passion for the product and try it for themselves. After all, if you never try it, you'll never know.

For example, most people here have no basis to compare a Turbo to a GT2 or a Ruf R Turbo to a Protomotive or Upsolute vs. GIAC Stage 4. When I give my honest opinion, of course there will be people who get pissed off because I'm not telling them what they want to hear.

I am just one of the few who is bold enough to express how many on this board feel.

In extracting performance, there is a right way of doing things, and a wrong way of doing things. Period. There are tuners whose philosophy is in the right, and those that do it all wrong.

Tuning cars reliably costs money. If you're too frugal to do it, then I can understand that.

Call me elitist all you want, but who in their right mind would take an M3 over a 996 Turbo if price was equal??? So is my statement NOT true?

Only liberals think everyone can be made happy and controversy is not necessary. Are you a LIBERAL??? If you are, there is nothing more I have to say to you.

Old 08-23-2004, 01:07 PM
Banned for Life
Cole_21 is a jewel in the roughCole_21 is a jewel in the roughCole_21 is a jewel in the rough
Damn!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-23-2004, 02:45 PM
stuka is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by ben, lj
There is a reason insurance is the same to more on an M3 than a 996TT despite the later having 50% less power and costing about 40% more than the former. Juvenille punks seem to be the classic demographic for those cars and the claims history apparently bears this out.
That and they keep wrecking them at the track, eventhough the M3 with DSC off is soooooo easy to drive on the track. Yo ucan go in to the corner too hot, get sideways, and still easily gather it back up. I am now up to about 85% of the speed that I was carrying in the M3 on the track in my Turbo.

And yes, my insurance for the M3 was actually more expensive when I had it than now with the Turbo. It's insanity how many M3's are getting wrecked! And they are way easier and safer to drive sideways than the Turbo!

Old 08-23-2004, 02:48 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Stephen,

Just admit that you're a cheap bastard that doesn't spend money to do things right. This is why you went with Upsolute.

You think you know more about auto tuning? Then put your money where your mouth is and enter a ****ing shootout. I guarantee you, if we start with the same budget to tune a 911 Turbo, I will blow your *** away.

I worked proactively with Protomotive to massage the ECU and get the torque curve to where I thought it would be drivable. I took the car back and forth several times as well as diagnosed teething issues. I didn't just fund the dollars, but I was a guinea pig that provided input to get the car to the way I like it.

You call me arrogant, but then again, you're the one who thinks you're so ****ing smart, knocking the GIAC tuners as if you could do better with your Upsolute.

Don't be jealous because some of us have more money than you do and are willing to spend it! You are a typical hater... no wonder why you don't live in Cali, where the weather is as fine as the girls.

BTW, I do pretty much buy the best of everything when I can. Perhaps this is the difference between me and you. You can't buy taste!

Maybe it's cause you've been stuck in the Midwest for too long (no offense to my boy Lou). You must be a Democrat too.

Last edited by Hamann7; 08-23-2004 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:51 PM
stuka is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Proteinbeast
Yes, its true, we all want Porsches

I'll probably sell the A6 and M3 and try and get into an 00 C2, unless i can find a steal on an E39 M5.

BTW, i don't try and race people on the street. Although i will give ya a wave or thumbs up
For the love of all that is good in the automotive world, if you must get a P car, and your budget is that of a 00 C2, please get a nice 993 C2s. It's the car that the regular 996's can never hope to be. The 996's have punched out boxster engines for crying out loud, and if you want an engine similar to that of a 993, M64 dry sump, you have three choices, GT2, GT3, or the Turbo.

There is nothing race bred about the M96 block, PAG isn't even confident enough to race it. And yes, I know the GT3 block is also designated as M96 by PAG, eventhough it really is M64 with the GT1 derived block.

Bottom line?

Turbo > E46 M3 or 993 C2s > regular 996's

Old 08-23-2004, 02:55 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by StephenTi
"Call me elitist all you want, but who in their right mind would take an M3 over a 996 Turbo if price was equal??? So is my statement NOT true?"
What a stupid *** statement...

So I guess this means you would take the M3 over the 911 Turbo?

Who is really the stupid ***?

No wonder why you would put your Honda and your Turbo in the same sentence. If you want high revving performance, why didn't you get a GT3?

Oh wait... maybe because a $30,000 S2000 is as good as the GT3 and revs even higher, right? Just like Upsolute is as good as all of us who have spent real money tuning right.

Yeah, we are all stupid and you are so intelligent. I will make sure to alert Alois Ruf, Olaf Manthey, Chad, and others that they might as well all retire since you've unlocked the secret to 100 extra horsepower for $500.

Old 08-23-2004, 09:20 PM
R.I.P. ben, lj
Godzirra is infamous around these parts
As an '03 M3 owner, I am jealous of the 996TT. Not the NA P cars, but definitely the TT. I never try to race them; just try to catch up and stare! I think all M3 owners would love to take the next step to a TT, and most realize its pointless to race them.

Old 08-23-2004, 09:58 PM
emorgan is infamous around these parts
As far as the M3 goes, just smoke em and be through with it.

Old 08-23-2004, 10:34 PM
02TT_87GNX is infamous around these parts
You guys sound like some bickering women. Lighten up, sounds like all of your cars are fast, just some faster than others.

This calls for a shootout!!! Where people can put their $$$ where there mouth is! I'll bring both my TT and my C6 vette for kicks. TT is stock so won't be competing with most of the tuned 996s.

Old 08-23-2004, 10:50 PM
NJPete996TT is infamous around these parts
Hamann,
Dude, you sound like you need to chill the hell out. In more then one post i can remember you sound alot like a stuck up elitest snob. Your message might or might not be accurate but with the way you present it, who the hell would want to listen to you anyway????

NJPete

Last edited by NJPete996TT; 08-23-2004 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:19 PM
L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !
I think there is a fair share of Pcar owners that play the same game as the BMW guys.

Example: I had a guy in a GT2 (grey)last weekend get on my **** on a 3 lane road (no other cars around) weeving back and forth trying to bait me to run him. (I'm in a E36 M3) He proceeds to blow by me and waits for me at the next light rev'n the engine (it sounded sweet). This was amusing to me so, I look over and laugh. That spurred him to rev even more. Light turns green and oh my we are door to door half way thru 3rd gear. He was'nt pulling away as fast as he thought he would! At the next light, my grin was bigger than before and instead of pulling up next to me, he pulled behind me and refused to make eye contact. (bruised ego?) Why would he waste his time on a BMW?

I would have never considered running a GT2 (in my Pcar yes)until this guy.

Oh by the way my e36 m3 has a turbo.

Last edited by L8Apex; 08-24-2004 at 12:44 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: M3 owners........P Envy?