996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My idea of "legal" kills!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 02:08 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
Oh, that is quite an interesting video! ^^^
It passes said Yellow Porsche at 8:00 minutes.
Z06's on Hoosiers are deadly, look at Atomic Z's time at Brainderd
in Stock Z06 on Hoosiers (faster than myself or Luis Sr. in his GT2 have EVER been
at Brainerd; It was Atomic Z's 3rd time at Brainerd!!!). Now that Atomic's Z has brakes,
and more power, NO street driven Porsche at Brainerd will touch it, period as he will be
runnng mid 1:40's. Dez, (Heavy) what does MTI's Z06 run at Road Atlanta?
Our Porsches are just too damned PORTLY and severely disadvantaged when matched
up to lighter/faster cars. Sorry guys, it is just how I have seen it and see it.
Last year at TX2K8, the fastest 3 cars on Texas World Speedway were Z06's ??
(I was 4th, oh well, as they say...)

This is not meant to take away from Dr. Tom's driving, Heavy's driving and I am only average at the track. I am still learning alot
MK

Marty, I think I've said this to you before but I think you sorely underestimate our P-cars. The MTI Z06 runs 1:25's at Road Atlanta now, but there isnt a car here outside of 1badGT2's that has as much developement (wind tunnel testing, various motor swaps, real racing brakes, Rolex Prototype tires, 700+ whp and sub 3k lbs w/ driver). Not even Toms is in the ballpark.

However prior to that, with a much higher weight/hp ratio, my car was right on pace with it, with 550 hp and 3700 lbs, no racing seats, no cage, just coilovers and camber. In fact I went faster than that car at Barber last October. And run identical times to that same car when it was 600 whp and still had the worked 427 with 3100 lbs. There is no doubt our cars can hang, none whatsoever. It will take a lot of work to get to where that Z06 is now, and I'm not saying I will, but it's got 4 years of developement and is shop owned and supported. And Reese is a former World challenge driver, so he can wheel a car. I consider that pretty potent for a 996 TT with coilovers ECU and exhaust.

I want to get there, but I refuse to develope the car faster than the driver, so I'm taking my time.

What about the guy in the Viper GTS that sent me the time for Brainerd that was on PS2's and is the fastest time we have yet? He listed you as a reference.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:07 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Precisely why I asked if you were serious my friend. I am all too familiar with trash talk among friends, but from your words, and Tom's it doesnt seem like you two are all that close.

I see guys on the corvette forum talk about going to PCA events and beating up on the Porsches all the time, and it's what's expected on various sites. No harm no foul. But I dont see the need to get defensive because of it.

There are too many people here that know Tom isnt that type of guy so trying to convey him as something else isnt going to get you very far.

In case you havent been around this section long enough you'd know that his reference to "legal kills" is only in objection to the large amount of street racing type threads we get here, and he is only endorsing something positive for a change.

In your opinion and based on lap times, Tom may have been mid pack, but that doesnt mean he got passed several times over the weekend. Mid pack is good enough to keep you from having to do many point by's. And unless you have video of him being a rolling chicane, well then it's still your opinion.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I dont think you need to huff and puff your way in here. We are all cool guys and just some friendly words will get you some great track buddies and who knows, maybe someone here who can keep up with you so you have a drive buddy. Just saying this doesnt need to be a Porsche vs Chevy thread, its just in fun. No one is getting paid to race here.
Dez I must admit I really enjoy when you post. You seem to have an amazing insight and your deductive reasoning is always spot on, thanks for your comments.

the reason for the post was basic. some vid at sebring and some cool cars there to see. certainly not meant to "brag" I was coaching three guys that day and had video running all day. I always had one of the guys out with me. I felt no real need to tear the track up or try to show off. as my mechanic said above I was running on one turbo anyway!!!

my titles are designed to be provocative just for fun. Dez or anybody familar with this forum would recognize immediately that the title was aimed at the posts of the street "kills" in some form of street racing. to demonstrate you can "legally" pass people on a closed track setting where no moms in minivans didnt sign the release. I guess to the uninitiated on this forum the word "kill" may appear as a synonym for some form of bragging and for that I apologize.

again as most know on this forum I cant condone that type of activity as a Certified Porsche Instructor, licenced racer, or lastly, board certified, general, vascular, and trauma surgeon.

Must admit the positive responses on this thread make one feel good as I have to admit all are from good friends who know me and my driving.

GT2, thanks for putting your 2 cents in, it made for an interesting thread.
dont be such a stranger posting as you are welcome to with or without a GT2 vette or whatever. pro and con welcome. again no real harm or foul.

If you are at Sebring this November, would love to run with you, I will be on Hoosiers, 275 front 335 rear, 112 octane and big boost. So I will offer no excuses and if you school me at my home track I will proudly post the vid of you doing so. look forward to meeting up with you, and again thanks for being the catylst in this thread.

tom

Last edited by tom kerr; 10-16-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:26 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GTII
HeavyChevy, I was just messing with Tom a littile bit. But, if you want to take this up to another level, here goes ..... You want to talk about lack of respect, you need to reread the original thread. To go on a forum and post a video of your "Legal Kills", then refer to the other cars on the track as "cars that were in the way, screams of an arrogance that I just had to respond to.
The advanced group at Sebring that day, consisted of some very fast cars. A black Z06, a 430 challenge car, a couple of open wheelers and a race prepared vette that was breaking in a new engine. Where does this put Tom?..... in my opinion, in the middle of the pack and occasionally in the way. Do I have a personal grudge against Mr Kerr? .... I don't even know him. But, if you create this Tomfoolery and post it on a forum, I don't think you should suggest that a guy is an a$$ hole, because he has a another point of view. Don't think this is some Porsche vs. Vette thing, as I own a GT2 and just love the car!. Here is my idea of a fast street car driven to a track Day. Pay attention to the video @ 6:45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID6kgMyvSgw

watched the vid. very cool and neat to see my car. I remember that vette there and if it was you?? or whoever, very very fast and good driver.

BUT....the lap times he was turning were still the same or slower than my standard laps, mostly do to the traffic. if he (you?) and I actually went head to head I would imagine the car in the video was faster than mine. love to see cars like that there, the very reason I love doing those events.
thanks for the vid!!

tom

Old 10-16-2008, 05:33 PM
GTII is infamous around these parts
Tom ..... Thanks for the PM. I would reply in the same format (PM) but I don't have enough posts ..... I expect to get some backlash from the comments I make, especially when I go against the grain. After all, I have chosen to come play in your "sandbox" ...... but I am having fun. The ******* reference may be a little sharp, but maybe a deserve it. My friend and I have watched you delvelop your car over the last year, as we go to all of the Chin events at Sebring. For reference, there is a link on You Tube attached to the video I posted, Showing the same car at a Viper event doing a 2:18 flat. I am not at that pace but @ 5 seconds slower. Looking forward to meeting you and running with you at the events.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:42 PM
GTII is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Come on guys... Let's be fair. If the guy passed Tom, Tom will man up and say so... There is ALWAYS someone faster... Don't let that escape any of you...

Mike
Mike ..... we briefly met in the pits at VIR. It was a chin event in July. You were in a different run group so I was not on the track with you. I did run with a few of your friends I think. Craig in an Orange RS and Dell in a yellow 996 GT3. Both really nice guys and talented drivers. VIR was an amazing experience and hope to go back again next year!

Old 10-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Actually I got moved up to Red run group the second day.

Whats fun is when two equally fast cars, with two equally capable drivers going head to head. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any vette drivers to play with!

All in fun!

Mike

Old 10-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by GTII
Tom ..... Thanks for the PM. I would reply in the same format (PM) but I don't have enough posts ..... I expect to get some backlash from the comments I make, especially when I go against the grain. After all, I have chosen to come play in your "sandbox" ...... but I am having fun. The ******* reference may be a little sharp, but maybe a deserve it. My friend and I have watched you delvelop your car over the last year, as we go to all of the Chin events at Sebring. For reference, there is a link on You Tube attached to the video I posted, Showing the same car at a Viper event doing a 2:18 flat. I am not at that pace but @ 5 seconds slower. Looking forward to meeting you and running with you at the events.
Again, all good and 2:18 is about what my faster friends run (yes I have faster friends!) My best at Sebring so far is 2:24. I (or someone who can drive better) should want or hope to be able to break 2:20. But in all honesty for a street car that is moving!!

Because of my OCD I went back and reviewed my track notes on the session the fast vette you had on vid passed me. Just to make me see how I thought I was running. After that session I wrote.....front brake pads gone and fluid boiled, PASM ABS light came on and no antilock brakes so braking was not at threshold, and boost controller didnt work!!!!! damn no wonder I sucked up that session!! and again I watched the black vette and he seemed like the fastest guy out there!!
Thanks for coming to play in our sand box, and it is nice when my guys see someone kick sand in my face to at least have my back, as we would do for our guys!!

see ya at the track!!!

tom

Old 10-16-2008, 08:00 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
We'll have to get you some backup down there Tom. Seems like a lot of fast vettes down there that like to play.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:45 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Oh I don't remember any of the point-bys I've taken... Way to many... easier to remember the few I've given!

Mike

Wow, that's a good memory, I dont really recall how many point by's I've had this year. Dont count cool down laps or for fun lapping, that isnt earned.

I'd have to go back and look at my VIR tapes, I probably gave a bunch then in the first 2-3 sessions and then later to the REALLY fast guys (Matt, One of the Cup cars, and the guy in the black Z06), but other than that, maybe 2. One at Barber with the RWD and the other at Road Atlanta to the 700 whp scion on the backstraight. But my memory may be foggy.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Oh I don't remember any of the point-bys I've taken... Way to many... easier to remember the few I've given!

Mike

Well of course. If you are in any group other than novice and can count the number of point by's you've given (you pointing by)) and it's move than the ones given to you ( you getting pointed by), then you probably need to be in a slower group.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:27 AM
We'll have to get you some backup down there Tom. Seems like a lot of fast vettes down there that like to play.
that would be awesome maybe a Chin event after the New Year.
Also trying to get to RA after the 1st as well.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:20 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Good to see it is sorted out.
O.T. Dez, The black Viper GTS coupe (my very good friend has run a 1:50.x at Brainerd.
I was so sceptical, I made him show me the video at his house (he has a very good track computer system, combined with his video to show RPMS, etc). He did this time
on PS2's. I have run 1:51 on PS2's. Cup car record is 10 seconds faster than that (1:40
or so).
Some of our better Porsche drivers need to go to TX2K9 (4 day event) in/around Houston and we can all run same track on same day (Texas World Speedway with banking on part of it!!). Not only that, you get to Meet Dr. Jitsu, Paulie Walnuts, Dr. Joe, ECLou, Tommy Bahn, S.W., Houston T, Powell, RoadsterDoc and many others
and see/run with the fastest SUPRAS in the world at Hennessey Motorsports Park.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:18 PM
If they make TX2K9 two days at the road course I'd be intrested, but nothing less. Not even a remote consideration. I'd rather use that 13 or so hour trip to go to Road America or Watkins Glen, or both instead of one of them and TX2K.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:10 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
If they make TX2K9 two days at the road course I'd be intrested, but nothing less. Not even a remote consideration. I'd rather use that 13 or so hour trip to go to Road America or Watkins Glen, or both instead of one of them and TX2K.
Dez -

I agree with you - for those of us who are more road course oriented that 2 days at TWS would make the trip much more worth the time. You have to remember that it is a 4 day event to start with and it was started by and is still dominated by guys who have cars that are ridiculously fast in a straight line. There is so much more going on with this event. The runs to Mexico and hanging with the crew from H-town make it worth the trip even if you didn't get to run TWS.

Also - there is nothing better than two days at Road America. You would be heaven.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:11 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Tom,

Sorry for the O.T.: our local Porsche club sponsors a great event at Road America
every July. This track should be on everyones' top 2-3 tracks in the U.S. to experience.
Bring you diapers to prepare yourself for the legendary "kink" at high speeds. Our cars have the ability to go over 140 mph in (3) spots on the track. You can go 160 ish in two spots if you have the nuts...I do not, yet!

MK

http://www.roadamerica.com/images/in...ap_08_main.pdf

I have met and run with Dr Brad (Acrophora) who drives the wheels off from his
3.8 litre Protomotive 993TT there. It will be interesting to see if he tries out his latest
acquisition there: DIVEXXTREMES old car!! Next year will be fun! (Especially if
Brad talks KPG into coming!)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My idea of "legal" kills!