996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

diference betwen K24 AND K24/18g's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
I know that GIAC will have one soon. So you can upgrade. However Proto can shoot you one now. I think EPL may send files out too. All good choices.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:58 AM
smistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond repute
couple of additional questions:

is the 5 bar fuel pressure regulator absolutely needed?

what type of power would one make without the 5 bar?

I had heard the 5 bar regulator was not California smog friendly- any Cali guys vouch for this?

Thanks

Old 10-12-2008, 04:08 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Valley996TT
What tune can you get for the K24/18g that is around $1,295? Also, which tune is better with these turbos, i.e. Proto, EPL, Softronic, etc. I currently have the GAIC tune and all of the "Stage 4" bolt-ons. I plan to take my turbos off and send them to Blouch for the 18gs, but would like to know which tune I should go with.
If you have a GIAc stage 4 why dont u send ur turbos for the gt28 upgrade and then get a ECU from Giac/evoms for that.. all uy need is a 5 bar... back in the day thats what a gt640 or even a gt700 consisted of... Gt28/k16 turbos...
but Im sure u can stiff theminto K24s.... and u then save on the tune since ur upgrade via giac should be cheap.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Valley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really nice
I don't want to hijack this thread, but in answering Markski's question, wouldn't the gt28 require water cooling modifications and modifying the exhaust side to fit the garretts? Also, I got the impression that the K24/18g turbos are better at the top end from reading the threads from the guys in Houston (Paulie and that bunch, I believe). I already have the 5 bar fpr in the car and want to move forward on upgrading the turbos. The only thing (besides time) that has prevented me from doing it already is that I was under the impression that a tune for the K24/18g would cost around $3000-$3500 and the thought of trashing my GAIC tune after paying so much for it was not appealing. But, if I can get a good tune for $1,295, I will MAKE the time to remove the turbos and get the 18g modification.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:13 PM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
absolutely not true. A protomotive 18g tune with a 5 bar and free flowing exhaust will blow the doors off of a similar setup with k24s only. Trust me I know.
"Blow the doors off" are big words. I experienced it first hand as well not to long ago. My car would actually get the jump low end then the bigger turbo would pass by me up top. So much that in a 1/4 mile from a dig, its a drivers race. Maybe it wasnt a proto tune but it was one of the well known tuners on the board.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:03 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Valley,

In retrospect, I am not certain you can get an 18G tune for $1,295.00 - I know I have seen that price point for a flash from more than one tuner recently, but it may not have been for 18G's. Call around...if you can not find a $1,295 deal, you can get an 18G tune for not much more...

Old 10-12-2008, 05:59 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LiNks
"Blow the doors off" are big words. I experienced it first hand as well not to long ago. My car would actually get the jump low end then the bigger turbo would pass by me up top. So much that in a 1/4 mile from a dig, its a drivers race. Maybe it wasnt a proto tune but it was one of the well known tuners on the board.
Sure you will get a small jump on a 18g with a smaller turbo... but if that 18g didnt blow the doors off a K24 then something is not right with the 18g..
for example...
a K24 with a flash at 1.2 bars with trap 122 mph and 125 mph max...
A 18g with a flash at 1.3 bars traps anywhere from 128 to 133 mph...
Im not sure what else to tell you...
markski
PS. I am taling about Proto tuned cars ...

click to view

Old 10-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LiNks
You need more fuel and a good tune with the 24/18G setup or there is no point to run them. Without the injectors and fuel pump its not that big a difference from a K24 turbo.
I agree with this in theory.

k16 hybrids, k24's, k24/18g's all will fairly easily max out the stock injectors even with a 5 bar. If you are flowing enough air to bring the stock fuel system to its limits, you are making about the same amount of power.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SamboTT
I know that GIAC will have one soon. So you can upgrade. However Proto can shoot you one now. I think EPL may send files out too. All good choices.
Thanks Sam.

Yes have multiple files for k24/18g's:
5 bar and stock injectors
54lb injectors
60lb injectors

Old 10-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
I have the K24/18gs on my car, my only regret was not doing injectors when installing them. As with any setup you can only make as much power as you can put fuel into the engine along with air. You can make power and run the engine lean on good fuel, but if you're going to go that far, might as well have some safety margin as well.

I'd suggest researching what 6-52lb injectors should support at an acceptable duty cycle. It's a matter of hitting that threshold which both turbos can do. The real truth in how much quick one is over the other is how far you want to go past what many would consider safe, whether it be 1.3bar on K24s or 1.15bar on K24/18g's.

Last edited by onelove; 10-12-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
I agree with this in theory.

k16 hybrids, k24's, k24/18g's all will fairly easily max out the stock injectors even with a 5 bar. If you are flowing enough air to bring the stock fuel system to its limits, you are making about the same amount of power.
He stated that a K24 and a 18g are basically the same unless you do injectors etc... I disagree.... I have a 18G ported & polished with a 5 bar and a 100 cell cat exhaust... it blows away my old K24 set I used to have... I trapped 123 average on it whereas guys on 18g run 128 mph minimum.... that sound like and extra 90 rwhp to me...
tehre have been at least 50 to 100 18G set ups sold and they all seem to do well... even on stock fuel system... and form some kill stories I have yet to see a 18G loose to a K16 or a K24 turbo...
markski

click to view

Old 10-12-2008, 09:17 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Wes you mean 1.5 right?

Markski - I trapped 122 on stock K16's, and it was hot and humid. I would think that having K24's would improve my trap speed by atleast 5 MPH, no?

Old 10-12-2008, 09:32 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by TXGold
Wes you mean 1.5 right?

Markski - I trapped 122 on stock K16's, and it was hot and humid. I would think that having K24's would improve my trap speed by atleast 5 MPH, no?
We have customer with straight k24's running 125+ on k24's...So I would say 5 mph faster wouldnt be out of the question.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Wes you mean 1.5 right?

No I mean 1.15bar. It's going to take less boost on a 18G than a K24 to reach maximum injector efficiency that one could consider safe. Are there plenty running well over what many would consider a safe level and still surviving, yes, but I prefer to be better safe than sorry. I run my car at a 123/124mph trap power level for now. Above a safe level it's race gas only or datalogging every pass to ensure proper A/F's and safe duty cycle levels.

That being said, most people who put the K24/18gs on with a 5bar only don't follow this same view, and in my opinion they're on borrowed time.
If I had to do it all over again I'd do injectors at the hit. They're areasonably priced addition, relatively easy to install, and even though you spend extra on the injectors, you save on not needing a 5 bar.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:13 AM
Basic Sponsor
Wes you mean 1.5 right?

i highly doubt it... Ur probably running 1 bar springs pushing the K16s to the limit... OR maybe Kevin gave you you nice agressive "timing" map for drag racing.....
My original argument is/was that a K24 with a good tune is inferior to a K24/18 with a good tune...
If you guys want to discuss this with someone that really knows, Pm or Email Todd @ Protomotive... I am sure he will answer the questions straight up... he has been doing 16g,18g, and 20gs for a few years now...

click to view

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: diference betwen K24 AND K24/18g's