996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Should I get straight pipes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 05:46 PM
ArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to beholdArcticSilver is a splendid one to behold
I had FVD straight pipes on my car for about 20 minutes....OMG! way too loud for me to live with. I can't imagine pulling up to meet a client with that set up.

Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2008, 08:36 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
Fabspeeds cats are confusing. I hear that they are 200 cel then I hear that they are 100 cell.

I have the latest incarnations of the fab cats but I have no clue if they are 100 or 200.

What I do know is that one of the guys in our driving group has the straight pipes on his turbo and although it is louder the difference isn't much.

I wonder how much confort SMR took out of the car to get to 200 lbs less?
I am at 3250 with full interior, trunk, stereo and AC. could easily get to 3k if all of that was removed, just not worth it to me.

I drive to the track ac on listening to the radio, have a great track weekend and drive home!! then drive to work the next day, that's what its all about!!

Old 10-13-2008, 08:43 AM
SMR
SMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the rough
It´s a gt2 you know..

Rs plastic rear window
Light Cf hood 6 lbs
Lighter battery
Light erwheels
Lighter suspenstion öhlins
Lighter rear wing/trunk
Gt3 seats
center delete kit

All other is stock

Car weigterd 3170 when i bought it

Old 10-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johns930
Ok, where can i buy straight pipes? Any sites with more info?
Fabspeed makes the highflow cats with straight pipes and you can get the cat bypass pipes as well. I run the cats and straight pipes and love the sound. It is loud during initial startup, but then it quiets down a bit...

Originally Posted by SMR
It´s a gt2 you know..

Rs plastic rear window
Light Cf hood 6 lbs
Lighter battery
Light erwheels
Lighter suspenstion öhlins
Lighter rear wing/trunk
Gt3 seats
center delete kit

All other is stock

Car weigterd 3170 when i bought it
makes sense now, you don't have that extra 150 lbs on the front so you are lighter, albeit less balanced I wonder how much the lighter rear wing and trunk saves you over the already light factory unit?

Old 10-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Fabspeed makes the highflow cats with straight pipes and you can get the cat bypass pipes as well. I run the cats and straight pipes and love the sound. It is loud during initial startup, but then it quiets down a bit...

makes sense now, you don't have that extra 150 lbs on the front so you are lighter, albeit less balanced I wonder how much the lighter rear wing and trunk saves you over the already light factory unit?
And with our High flow cats or our cat bypass you can use either muffler bypass pipes or one of two different mufflers we have for the 996tt and 997tt one is a quiet version we developed for tips and cabs but can be used for coups and 6speeds too. The point is if you are thinking about strait pipes buy fabspeeds 200cell cats with muffler bypass $1995.00 if its too loud for you you can buy mufflers quiet or normal later (simple change over from muffler bypass to mufflers everything is held together with v band clamps 20 to 30 min change so you can run no muff for track and muff for street)

Old 10-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Fabspeeds cats are confusing. I hear that they are 200 cel then I hear that they are 100 cell.

I have the latest incarnations of the fab cats but I have no clue if they are 100 or 200.

What I do know is that one of the guys in our driving group has the straight pipes on his turbo and although it is louder the difference isn't much.

Our first generation of cats were 100 cell but we discovered that 100 cell cats cell structure is so spread out that for strength they incert 9 steel pins to hold it in place (from the factory) so we tested 200 cell cats they flow better because of no pins (yes its a fact 200 cell cats flow better than 100cell)

Old 10-13-2008, 01:06 PM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Putting my old exhuast (a Europipe, no less) back on may not be possible...we are having some fitment issues with the adapter kit and may have to go with some custom straight pipes.
Sean,
Have Tommy fab something like Tym did for me awhile back, or have Tym make another system like below. I found this catless system to be nowhere close to being too loud, but maybe my tolerances are higher than most. In fact I thought it was pretty quiet at idle and cruise. My wife rode around in the car a few times and she didn't ***** and moan, so it will pass the wife test....

Oh yea, and talk to us again about the quality Vivid adapter kit again? Glad you got a killer deal on it. Tommy is being quite polite....

Old 10-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Jamie,

It was very high quality....for a kit that had to have fairly extensive fabrication in order to fit, lol. Fortunately I had Tommy who is the man in my book.

Dan is back from vacation and I am sure will do something nice for me to make it up.

Speaking of which, should I go w/ a larger TB, Y pipe,plenum?

Also, what is your opinion of the 2.76 inch (70mm) EP. Will it hold up my GT 3076's much?

Old 10-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Oh, just got an e-mail from Dan, see he is working with me.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:26 PM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Oh, just got an e-mail from Dan, see he is working with me.
Of course he is going to work with you...too many eyes on this.

Quality is more than just a shiny finish on the right material. There is only so far a volume based part vendor can go. Look at the Vivid tuning thead. These cars are too sophisiticated to lego UPS boxes together....especially when trying to make 2x+ the factory hp.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Todd is tuning my car so I am in good hands there...but back to my question, your old car had a bigger TB, plenum, and Y pipe...will I have restriction issues?

God I wish I would have known it would have been for sale for 105K...where are the crystal ***** when you need them?

Old 10-13-2008, 02:41 PM
Jamie,

Speaking of which, should I go w/ a larger TB, Y pipe,plenum?

Also, what is your opinion of the 2.76 inch (70mm) EP. Will it hold up my GT 3076's much?
It's impossible to say. Everything works together as a system, so not knowing everything you've done to the car, it's nearly impossible to say whether a larger TB/ypipe, etc. will net you anything unless others have done similar testing with the exact same set-up as you. Todd never dyno'd my car with his system vs my adopted Cargraphic on the same turbos, so we never got real data on the effect of an off the shelf system with 3071 and 3076 turbos. Logic says it will restrict you, but hard to say until you test each under the exact same conditions.

IMO, since this isn't your dd, net out the most performance you can....otherwise you'll find yourself paying more down the road to make changes.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:47 PM
God I wish I would have known it would have been for sale for 105K...where are the crystal ***** when you need them?
Yep, crazy price for the money invested into that perfect condition car. I thought about buying it back, but hard to go back into a project car. I always like to start fresh and learn from my previous builds. Never as cost effective though....

Old 10-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Sean,

I forgot....Tym still has my old x-pipe that Todd fabbed up for my 3076's. It's not pretty, but I'd sell that cheap for you to try. It was a bit louder than Tym's version, but it sounded pretty close.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:25 PM
X pipe...exhaust or substitute for the y pipe?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I get straight pipes?