996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Should I get straight pipes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 06:32 PM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
X pipe...exhaust or substitute for the y pipe?
Exhaust. It would be a cheap way to test the straight pipes without spending the $$$ for someone to make them for you.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !
Chris's straight pipes should be here soon, we hope. We will be dynoing his car with the evo turbo intake tubing and the straight pipe's soon.
Matt

Old 10-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
X pipe...exhaust or substitute for the y pipe?

as you probably know, x-pipes have been around for sometime and are quite effective at balancing out both sides on front engined cars. I do not know how effective they are if at all with such short runs of pipe like in our cars. I am more interested in the x-pipe for it's drone reduction, or so I hope. I am trying to prove to myself that the sound waves intersecting each other at 90, should cause some interference and some cancellation, but this is probably a pipe dream (pun intended).

That is why I am interested in knowing if the x-pipes people have tried actually cancel out drone, problem is that some people do not notice drone while others do in the same system.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:14 AM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by OhioGT2
I found this catless system to be nowhere close to being too loud, but maybe my tolerances are higher than most. In fact I thought it was pretty quiet at idle and cruise.

Originally Posted by Prche951
as you probably know, x-pipes have been around for sometime and are quite effective at balancing out both sides on front engined cars. I do not know how effective they are if at all with such short runs of pipe like in our cars.
Same question here: What is the real benefits of a x-pipe in the TT? I have seen x-pipe systems with cats and mufflers, just cats and just mufflers.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:58 PM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
So what is the final take on the pipes, do they really hurt the low end revs ??? Do the bring more power???? PERFORMANCE??? not about the noise.... for track who cares, are they worth putting on over a good muffler without cats???

Old 11-08-2008, 08:37 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
Just be fore warned , strait pipes at cold start up is disgusting.I found it helped the turbo spool quicker as others will tell you it hurts the low down TQ.It did help my car at low and high RPM, I wouldn't change them because of all the benefits, weight ,power.The only down fall is how loud things really are....I would do them again...no doubt

Old 11-08-2008, 09:30 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
I decided that I could not live with the noise and fabbed my Europipe loud to fit.

Car is nice and quite in the neighborhood but delicious at WOT, especially when the external wastegates open up..

Old 11-08-2008, 09:33 PM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kilrgt
Just be fore warned , strait pipes at cold start up is disgusting

if you are running straight pipes without cats you can have your programer turn off the secondary air pump(its used to aid in heating the cats at cold start up) this will eliminate the loud poping on cold start up

tim

Old 11-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
I have the fabspeed cats with straight pipes and it is loud, but I like it. My neighbors may disagree, however.

I wonder if the highflow doesn't hurt power in the under 3500 rpm range. I think it does, but cannot proove it.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:24 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Where is the secondary pump? Is this responsible for the high idle at startup?

Old 11-08-2008, 11:33 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TXGold
Where is the secondary pump? Is this responsible for the high idle at startup?
Upper right side of engine. You can hear it hum at startup for a minute or so until the cats warm up (well, maybe YOU can't, with your loud-a$$ straight pipes ).

Old 11-09-2008, 01:09 AM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Is its sole function to help warm the cats up at start up?

Old 11-09-2008, 08:21 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TXGold
Is its sole function to help warm the cats up at start up?
Correct. By adding extra O2 and fuel more heat is created. Sounds counter-intuitive but it lowers startup emissions. Remove the airpump and you will have super rich starts, higher emmisions and a CEL. A good tuner can elimintate the CEL, lean out the startup condition and possibly trick the OBDII scanner at inspection sticker time, but don't quote me on that. It will not pass a tailpipe sniffer on cold startup. I can't see any advantage in removing the airpump if you are doing it to reduce noisy startups for your straight pipes...kind of like using low calorie whipped cream on a chocolate sundae, it will make little difference!

Old 11-09-2008, 08:54 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Chris,
I hope you are feeling better! Sean, I use just a regular exhaust and my car makes great power!
Robert

Old 11-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Thanks Rob. I had that kidney stone for 5 days. That is like labor pain or worse for those that do not know. I had surgery last Monday and will have the stent removed tomorrow. It sucked more than words can describe!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I get straight pipes?