996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Should I get straight pipes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Should I get straight pipes?

To go with my new GT 3076's?

My concern is my car will be obnoxious....but what will the performance benefits be?

Faster spool up, more top end, yes?

And what if I ran the Burns race mufflers?

So it comes down to neighbors verses performance. Opinions are welcome.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:42 PM
ROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really nice
My experience:
They're insane ! It's OK at WOT, when racing or messing around. But the rest of the time (slow or rush hour driving) it sounds like a POS. And those warm-up couple of minutes in the morning, will embarrass you for sure .

Old 10-09-2008, 08:44 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
You've spent over 100k on your car, spend $300 and get the AWE pipes to find out We got them for our silver car just because it was easy. I'm sure it may sound like *** in the morning and wake the neighbors, but I'm quite sure that at WOT it will sound great (and sheds a ton of weight). If you don't like em just put you're old exhaust on and save em for track days.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Putting my old exhuast (a Europipe, no less) back on may not be possible...we are having some fitment issues with the adapter kit and may have to go with some custom straight pipes.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Oh, and won't the Burns race mufflers mitigate the sound somewhat?

Old 10-10-2008, 05:59 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
I hope you live on the ranch down there in TX as the staright pipes are not neighbor friendly. They only sound good at WOT other than that they sound like a pick-up with glass packs on. Not a natural sound for a Porsche.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:09 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Oh, and won't the Burns race mufflers mitigate the sound somewhat?
Burns are still loud depending on the configuration. Why not just re-weld the inlets for the Europipe to match the GT30s and do without the adapter?

We may do something like this on our car for times when the straightpipes are too much. Something like this with Burns should sound and still be lightweight.

(taken off Piper Motorsports Site)

Old 10-10-2008, 08:23 AM
DMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud of
I drove around with straight pipes on for 2 months... I can tell you that the only place i wanted to do a cold start was in my underground... And I would get a call from the girls at the tanning salon above me asking if i was starting my car.... IN OTHER WORDS>>> Its a loud freakshow !!
BUT.....
at the same time... At WOT...!!!!! I felt like a was in heaven...then I let off coz I thought i was also going to jail for noise pollution.... LOL....
ITS AMAZING.... but for a daily driver.. its going to get the better of you sooner or later... I have many clips of me with them on.. How I can send you the footage...? if you want...so you can see and hear for yourself.. Have lots at night on the hwy blasting lil flames out too... lol... and the turbos sound amazing too!!

Old 10-10-2008, 09:40 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
sean Burns race mufflers are still LOUD ! it just makes it sound better ...

Old 10-10-2008, 09:51 AM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
DMaffo is exactly right. I'll need to do something soon. Its great on the freeway but pretty much everywhere else its too loud.

It's kind of the same reason why I don't have a mustache. Most the time I just feel like a jack ***, but when I'm partying at the strip club, it pays dividends.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:53 AM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by onelove
Burns are still loud depending on the configuration. Why not just re-weld the inlets for the Europipe to match the GT30s and do without the adapter?

We may do something like this on our car for times when the straightpipes are too much. Something like this with Burns should sound and still be lightweight.

(taken off Piper Motorsports Site)
Sean, that's exactly what you should have Staley build!!!

Old 10-10-2008, 10:14 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Sean,

Sell your Europipe, they are the BEST selling used exhuast $3k-3500

Dont do straight pipes but do something like pictured above (ONE LOVE) with the minimal muffs,
Your car will kick ***!!! The EP is not designed for you power levels (IMHO).

P.S. Nice suspension on the car pictured (piper motorsports?)!!
MK

Old 10-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Former Vendor
Or you could buy a Switzer exhaust, you'll be VERY happy.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:36 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
switzer?he's to cheap

Old 10-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Here is what happened:Tommy installed the Vivid/Agency Power Garret GT turbo adapter kit and the kit absolutely did not configure with the exhaust (which is a standard configuration).

I decided that I could not live with the straight pipes. Thus Tommy worked all day and night to fabricate a fitment between the Agency Power headers and My Europipe exhaust and he was able to pull it off.

Dan is on his honeymoon right now but I am 100% sure that he and Matt (at Agency Power...he was very nice and tried to help...but the kit simple does not fit properly) will help me to compensate Tommy for his efforts. I will also like to add that Dan gave we a good price on the kit so I do not in any way want to criticize him or Matt.

Tommy took some pictures and I will post them up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I get straight pipes?