996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I designed a new steeting wheel....Dallas Custom...review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 08:40 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Custom wheel....by Dallas Custom Steering Wheel...a review

SO. I had an AGLA and loved it except for the stitching being yellow (it is already on its way back for a more correct color match). But, I had an extra wheel lying around and to get the AGLA fixed, I had to install in order to drive the car.

Rather than just do so, I decided to try Dallas Custom Steering Wheel's work with that extra wheel. I have no formal relationship with them and they don't know I am posting this.

All I can say is wow. See the picture. The wheel is really just stunning.
Don Le did exactly what I asked...my design. Stitching, in normal light, is an exact match to the leather interior.

Turnaround was fast. Price was the same. Color of the stitching and quality was superb.

So, to compare the two (AGLA and Dallas): AGLA will do super thick and ergo.

Dallas has faster turn around and the thread seems a little more OEM. The AGLA stuff started to fuzz a bit. It is too early to tell about the Dallas stuff.

Both are amazing. I have no relationship with either and happen to own one of each...so, take it for that: unbiased review.

Other data: Factory installed blue carpet against factory option natural brown leather....my favorite 996 interior and one of the reasons I fell for the car.
Tech Art ****. Factory SSK. Ultimate pedals. Rennline trackmats.

Take your OEM wheel...and about 340$ and get a wonderful new look and feel. Even with the stock market issues, this was well worth it for me.

JB

Attached Images   

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 10-11-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:32 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
WOW!! Very nice!!

Old 10-11-2008, 11:17 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Nice and creative! Very cool

Old 10-12-2008, 08:12 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
966tt650 is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up Dallas Custom Wheel--Wow

That's some beautiful craftsmanship and design. Looks totally awesome with your interior. Dallas Custom pulls off the virtually impossible in following your design. The wheel is distinctive, unique, and OEMish. It does not stand out like a blemish, like many other interior mods I see (why do folks with otherwise sound taste lose their minds on the interior? A giant mystery, large percentage are color blind?)--your design and the wheel are superb and it just fits right in. Very fine addition, I covet it, are you done with it yet? Nice jcb-enjoy. jaj

Last edited by 966tt650; 10-12-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:00 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Good deal JB, thanks for posting this. I have heard all good things about Dallas Custom. I believe they will fatten up the wheel also if you want. Price is reasonable and quick turnaround is a plus. I will go this route when the time comes.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:19 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
This wheel is "fatter" than stock, fyi. Hard to tell, but it is probably equal to the OEM fat wheel. About 1/16 thicker on the surface (so 1/8'' net) and over the stock stuff, so it is actually a bit more like a BMW M3 wheel IMHO.

Anyway, given what we all spend on things for these cars, this is a great option to consider. For me, the steering wheel is very, very important...and I have never been happy with what the factory provides, even in the newest PDK cars (the shifting is all wrong...see a Masserati S for the way paddles should be done....I am amazed Porsche is so seemingly poor as doing the steering wheel....Audi and BMW are superior in my mind....).

JB

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 10-12-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:21 PM
MOORE996 is infamous around these parts
That is simply beautiful.

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
SO. I had an AGLA and loved it except for the stitching being yellow (it is already on its way back for a more correct color match). But, I had an extra wheel lying around and to get the AGLA fixed, I had to install in order to drive the car.

Rather than just do so, I decided to try Dallas Custom Steering Wheel's work with that extra wheel. I have no formal relationship with them and they don't know I am posting this.

All I can say is wow. See the picture. The wheel is really just stunning.
Don Le did exactly what I asked...my design. Stitching, in normal light, is an exact match to the leather interior.

Turnaround was fast. Price was the same. Color of the stitching and quality was superb.

So, to compare the two (AGLA and Dallas): AGLA will do super thick and ergo.

Dallas has faster turn around and the thread seems a little more OEM. The AGLA stuff started to fuzz a bit. It is too early to tell about the Dallas stuff.

Both are amazing. I have no relationship with either and happen to own one of each...so, take it for that: unbiased review.

Other data: Factory installed blue carpet against factory option natural brown leather....my favorite 996 interior and one of the reasons I fell for the car.
Tech Art ****. Factory SSK. Ultimate pedals. Rennline trackmats.

Take your OEM wheel...and about 340$ and get a wonderful new look and feel. Even with the stock market issues, this was well worth it for me.

JB

Old 06-12-2012, 12:46 AM
Banned
SmytheAlissa is infamous around these parts
It does not stand out like a blemish, like many other interior mods I see