996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My 996tt Protomotive 650 vs. 997tt AWE 750

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:01 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
jnixon is infamous around these parts
As the individual who raced the protomotive tuned 996 turbo all I can say is that protomotive can tune a car. The 996 turbo was running without cats and I was disappointed that my 997 turbo could not pull away from his car but in no way was he beating me. The question for the board is whether it is safe for the turbo to hold 1.3+ bar for sustained periods of a run. Hollywood's car would hold that level of boost throughout the pull vs my car peaking at a boost level and then backing down some. My thinking is you could run a more aggressive tuning program without the cats using race fuel while my car is tuned to comply with cats. I believe my car would be faster in a timed 1/4 mile run vs pulls at 60mph but not by much. All hats off to protomotive for this kit. There is no doubt Protomotive can tune the porsche computer. I did notice that my car has more turbo lag than hollywoods car which is ironic considering the VTG were suppose to eliminate turbo lag.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:21 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Jnixon you should take your car to the Texas Mile in 2 weeks. I won't be able to attend this event, but I think you would enjoy it

Old 10-15-2008, 09:47 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
holding a particular boost level safely is dependent upon the combination of many things:
fuel system upgrades
amount of timing with the boost
type of fuel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Mine held 1.44 bar the entire texas mile

Old 10-15-2008, 12:12 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
After communicating with the owner of the A.W.E. car we learned a few things that were not disclosed in the initial post.

I am not here to bash the PE kit, so please do not think that.

What we want to know is, what is the power level of this kit when running in the "high boost" mode with no cats and race fuel?

The A.W.E. had our standard kit with full exhaust and cats in place.

Frankly, after learning these things, I am not too surprised at the outcome.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Proto high boost should be at 1.3 bars on 100+ octane. thats about 560 to 580 rwhp MAX.
Other factors like intergrity of system( boost leaks) do factor inn... driver skills too..
So who knows where each car is at.... jsut like the Proto 997TT with 700 rwhp got spanked by a 18g from USP.. yet something was/is wrong wiht the proto 997tt...
All in all both car got beat apparently...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-15-2008, 12:38 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
With the OP's mods (below) and race fuel, I'd say maximum of 650 to the crank, maybe less. I previously had his mods, plus Proto's huge ICs, twin intake system and upgraded fuel system and made around 680 to the crank (560 rwhp on a Dyno Dynamics and 600 rwhp on a Dynojet) on 'high' boost (1.3 BAR) and race fuel. I ran a 10.65 @ 136 at that level. It was probably good for a 6.5ish 60-130 at that time.

Proto650/K24-18g's
stock ic's
stock headers
switzer exhaust with no cats

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 10-15-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:05 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
is Hollywood's car AWD or RWD? Any weight estimation (lightweight)?

Old 10-15-2008, 02:04 PM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
Sorry guy's I did not mean to abandon the thread but I got distracted at work and home. Jon called me this morn to clarify and have me ask Akram or Todd a few questions on the volume of air that passes through the 18g comp vs the 997tt modified comp.

Woodster-Let me clarify, we started in 3rd gear everytime but no I was not in 3rd at 145mph, more like 5th.

sideWays_swe, Yes I still have k16 headers and ic's +:

5bar fpr
k24/18g's
proto650 tune
greddy profec b II
Forge dv's

Denso spark plugs
ats carbonetics triple disk clutch
switzer exhaust and "off road" pipes cat delete option which I run.

The first 5 items are what made up the kit from Protomotive, very reasonable cost imo. Akram in Houston did all the work for me

Markski-I'll pm you later for more explanation on your suggestion.

Thanks for everyones kind words. Let me make one thing clear, Jnixon's car is an absolute peice of ART! There is no nicer 997tt in SA that I am aware of. It goes without saying I have much respect for AWE for their love of what they do and commitment to quality products. So my intent here was not to downgrade anyone's stuff at all, but more so to express my shear JOY that as I mentioned in my post I was expecting to get my **** handed over to me by Jon both in his 700 and 750 setting. When the complete opposite occured at his 700 level and when we hung very close at the 750 level with me pulling away slightly and slowly but consistantly I was SHOCKED b/c it was not what I was expecting. That's all.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:06 PM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by eclou
is Hollywood's car AWD or RWD? Any weight estimation (lightweight)?

eclou-My car is awd and nothing done to save weight that I can think of. I did have my ac off if that counts for anything. I still have the spare tire and tools in the boot. Nice car on your avatar.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:22 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Tweety is waiting for you.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:45 PM
DMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud of
Has the doc ruffled your feathers yet tweet? lol.....
hollywood-hows that clutch you runnin?? does it allow you to launch ?? or it catchy.... Im curious to see how it compare to a stock one?? does it chatter?? does it hold the power and clamp or does it feel loosey goosey?

Old 10-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Paulie-LOL, next time I will make sure I am in my power band. Last time I was way to low in my rpm's + had a 200 pounder riding with me. Your car is still lighter though gt2 vs. tt. You da man!

Dmaffo-Clutch chatters like crazy at the 2k rpm range and at idle especially with a/c on. I have only launched it a few times semi hard at the track 3k rmps and it grabs very well and glued me to my seat. Next time I will try 4k rpms and hope I don't break anything It feels nothing like stock imo. It still lets out very high and is sensitive so I always have to concentrate more while in town and traffic. It does seem to be getting gradually better than when first installed. Somehow I have gotten used to the noisey chatter.

Robmd-Yes you did hear from Akram b/c I called him on the way home from the runs. Hope all is well with you!

Old 10-15-2008, 04:40 PM
I have the utmost respect for tuned 996tt's. This only confirms how they are realistically the baddest fish in the waters. Most of the other 1000hp monstrosities usually confined to the strips.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
jnixon is infamous around these parts
The one thing I did notice from the pulls is that Tom's setup from Protomotive spools quicker and has less lag then the my 997 turbos. My car does not have a lot of lag but there was lag when it was unmodified and there is still some lag when I modified the car. When both of us mashed the throttles it seemed like Tom always had the initial jump on me and made it harder to catch the 996. It seems like this hybrid setup is trully the right combination for the power band that it is running. the 997 turbo does not have a lot of turbo lag but you definitely feel the power coming on in the higher RPM band which if you are not in the sweet spot then the other car will get the jump on you. There is definitely a lot of technique involved in doing pulls at various speeds. My only comment is that the protomotive kit in the race setting is producing a good deal of power and all the kudos should go to protomotive. In the end we all want the power with all of the safety features to protect the car and motor. Tom and I plan to race the cars in the 1/4 mile and we will post the numbers.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by jnixon
The one thing I did notice from the pulls is that Tom's setup from Protomotive spools quicker and has less lag then the my 997 turbos. My car does not have a lot of lag but there was lag when it was unmodified and there is still some lag when I modified the car. When both of us mashed the throttles it seemed like Tom always had the initial jump on me and made it harder to catch the 996. It seems like this hybrid setup is trully the right combination for the power band that it is running. the 997 turbo does not have a lot of turbo lag but you definitely feel the power coming on in the higher RPM band which if you are not in the sweet spot then the other car will get the jump on you. There is definitely a lot of technique involved in doing pulls at various speeds. My only comment is that the protomotive kit in the race setting is producing a good deal of power and all the kudos should go to protomotive. In the end we all want the power with all of the safety features to protect the car and motor. Tom and I plan to race the cars in the 1/4 mile and we will post the numbers.
JNixon from what I have read Hollywood's car must have a superlight flywheel and clutch which will reduce lag/spool time considerably - at the expense of noise and chatter.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 996tt Protomotive 650 vs. 997tt AWE 750