996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My 996tt Protomotive 650 vs. 997tt AWE 750

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Daz - Porker
Does the GT2 run the same rods as the 996 tt then ? I thought they might off been titainium like the GT3's.
Exact same internals as the 996TT.

Have you got a spec what was done to yours b4 you sold her?
Proto website is a bit vague
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ive-build.html

Old 10-17-2008, 04:10 PM
Daz - Porker is infamous around these parts
Thanks I will take a look

Old 10-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
jnixon is infamous around these parts
I have asked some of the tuners what to expect from the power ranges of the porsche and my 1/4 mph were in line with what that had run. Steve Kasper at Imagine Auto installed my GIAC 690 race tune, with headers, intercoolers, clutch and I could only get to 126mph which he said was consistent with his times. He said maybe 127mph at the 1/4 mile. His 997 turbo with the same system I had dynoed 590 horsepower at the wheels. Power equates to top end speed at the 1/4 mile tracks.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:29 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jnixon
I have asked some of the tuners what to expect from the power ranges of the porsche and my 1/4 mph were in line with what that had run. Steve Kasper at Imagine Auto installed my GIAC 690 race tune, with headers, intercoolers, clutch and I could only get to 126mph which he said was consistent with his times. He said maybe 127mph at the 1/4 mile.
LOL...this is funny. My Stage 2 car...the one that trapped 126 mph with only exhaust, intake and a tune on stock K16's? Guess who installed those mods? Yep....Stephen from Imagine Auto.

I called him on the phone from the track immediately after the run (I trapped 124 and 125 right before that). He'll even tell you there was no way my car was making more than 575 crank HP with those simple mods.

His 997 turbo with the same system I had dynoed 590 horsepower at the wheels.
Then, unless you weigh over 400 lbs, your car should trapping well over 130 mph. Period.

Power equates to top end speed at the 1/4 mile tracks.
Gee, thanks for that information. I didn't realize that.

Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
For those that don't follow 1/4 mile drag racing; E.T. (Elapsed Time) is primarily a derivative of the launch, while Trap Speed (MPH achieved at the end of the run) is primarily a derivative of the amount of power being put to the ground on that specific track, that specific day. Trap Speed can be used tell you almost exactly how much hp your car is making at the wheels, assuming you use the correct calculations.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...standings.html

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 10-18-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:40 PM
Here's the video. Imagine Auto Stage 2. Intake, exhaust, tune on stock K16's with 100 octane. Full weight and AWD. The car was probably making around 460 AWHP during this run (575 at the crank).

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/S...run_192402.htm

Old 10-17-2008, 06:40 PM
RCNJ is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
There's a stock-internaled 996 GT2 running around with 700+ rwhp (800+ flywheel HP) that runs great without issues. There is also a stock-internaled 997TT making 850 rwhp (950+ flywheel HP) that is also running great without issues. The bottom-ends of these cars (including the rods) seem almost bulletproof with proper tuning and fuel.

Proto normally increases the redline to 7300 or so on cars with stock internals.
Dive- Now with my internals done...Pauter rods, 3.8 CP forged pistons, ductile liners, Raceware headstuds, O-ringed head and liners where do you think Todd will set my rev limiter. John said no more than 7300 but I think he's being too conservative. What do you think?

Old 10-17-2008, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by RCNJ
Dive- Now with my internals done...Pauter rods, 3.8 CP forged pistons, ductile liners, Raceware headstuds, O-ringed head and liners where do you think Todd will set my rev limiter. John said no more than 7300 but I think he's being too conservative. What do you think?
Raudel,

Mine was at 7,800, but I had custom McKenzie valve springs specifically made to run at higher rpm. Without those, I would keep your rev-limiter right where it's at. Especially on the stock crankshaft.

What kind of power are you expecting? 750ish rwhp?

Old 10-17-2008, 07:10 PM
RCNJ is infamous around these parts
I'm hoping for 750+. John doesn't want to run it more than 1.5 bar but I would like to push it to atleast 1.6 bar. My goal is 900 at the crank, so about 780-785 rear wheel hp.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:25 PM
I asked Steve also when I was trapping those speeds at the San Antonio track. I believe my car was running fine and the other porsches that we ran in stock form trapped 5-7mph slower than you gave me. Thus, it could be the track that is running slower than other tracks or something is wrong with my turbo. Obviously it could be the driving but that is why I am using the top MPH speed instead of the time. I had a previous discussion on the 997 board about this subject because I thought I was not producing the horsepower that my turbo was suppose to produce but we also ran stock turbo 996 cars and the regular 996 turbo could only hit 109-110 after numerous runs. The 996 turbo S only managed 113 after numerous runs.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by jnixon
I asked Steve also when I was trapping those speeds at the San Antonio track. I believe my car was running fine and the other porsches that we ran in stock form trapped 5-7mph slower than you gave me. Thus, it could be the track that is running slower than other tracks or something is wrong with my turbo. Obviously it could be the driving but that is why I am using the top MPH speed instead of the time. I had a previous discussion on the 997 board about this subject because I thought I was not producing the horsepower that my turbo was suppose to produce but we also ran stock turbo 996 cars and the regular 996 turbo could only hit 109-110 after numerous runs. The 996 turbo S only managed 113 after numerous runs.

I don't know what to say. My runs have been made in Virginia, Maryland and North Carolina. Jimmer trapped 124 on K16's in England. Nero from Titan trapped 116 in a bone stock 996TT in Orlando. Woodtster has trapped 134 in both Houston and Minnesota. Dmaffo trapped 133 in Toronto. John D trapped 131 in New Hampshire.

These runs have been made all over the world.

I said it before in this thread, and I'll say it again: You need to get your car on a dyno.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 10-17-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:07 PM
I definetly do and want to make sure I am producing the power I paid for. I could car less about the times. All I was saying is that we ran other Porsches and the difference between the tuned turbos and non-turbos MPH times are the same as yours so either the track is slow or we are consistently bad drivers.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:34 AM
RickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond repute
The wealth of knowledge here is AWESOME! The passion you guys share for our cars is Incredible! I have owned a 996tt since August of 07 (my 7th Porsche) and I have never modified any of them other than wheels/lowering. This car however, I did that plus a carbonfiber GT2 kit, techquip roll bar, and other interior upgrades. For performance I did a fabspeed exhaust & air intake and DV's. The car was fun, but I wanted more. I found this site and wound up purchasing a set of K24/18g's, 5Bar FPR, Greedy PerFec B from Wes/Nero at Titan Motorsports. I talked to Dan at Vivid and purchased some Denso plugs and a set of GT2 intercoolers. I just yesterday sent my ECU to Todd at Promotive and can't wait to finish my car and take it for a spin. I just wanted too say... THANKS to YOU ALL from Norman Oklahoma!

Last edited by RickEager; 10-18-2008 at 08:41 AM. Reason: left a word out
Old 10-18-2008, 08:43 AM
You're welcome, Norman. Be sure to let us know how you like your new power when Todd sends your ECU back. Congrats!

Old 10-18-2008, 09:01 AM
RickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond repute
I might need some help setting the Greedy ProFec B box up - any suggestions???

Old 10-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Wes will walk you through it. He'll know what settings you should use for your setup.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 996tt Protomotive 650 vs. 997tt AWE 750