996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Type 1 and Type 2 Over revs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 06:41 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
Type 1 and Type 2 Over revsm- Please help Decipher

can someone help tell me if this is good or bad?

Range 1
2960 848.9 h
Number of ignitions
Range 2
304 848.9h
Total Opearating hrs : 849.5
This is the DME data i have from PPI today.

Thanks

Last edited by vbmw335; 10-18-2008 at 06:54 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:53 PM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
Dear god... never seen those kind of numbers... was the car flashed?

Old 10-17-2008, 06:54 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
The service tech said its not flashed as far as he can tell..and also said all dme data looks good. Is this a big problem? Please let me know - was planning on buying the car tommorow.

Last edited by vbmw335; 10-17-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:57 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Don't those numbers mean 2960 ignitions at the 849 hour of operation. And the second I believe is 304 ignitions at the 849 hour. Did you hit the rev limiter in back to back gears or within a very short period of time? Others please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:17 PM
revengerocket is infamous around these parts
I think it means there have been 304 type 2 ignitions total, the most recent of which occurred at 849 hours.

304 type 2s is a lot. If the motor is still under warranty and you were to have a problem, coverage would most likely be denied.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:20 PM
I did not drive the car to redline . The car was shipped to the dealer in a closed trailer. Then the tech inspecting the car at the porsche dealer drove the car for checking the 2nd gear pop out . Did the tech do it himself?

How bad is this for the car and future 3rd party extended warranty?

Someone please provide more insight ...Also i havent done a leakdown/compression test yet in the PPI.. how important is this for a 18 k miles car?

Please help ...i have to make a decision tommorow.

Last edited by vbmw335; 10-18-2008 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:51 PM
soothsayer is infamous around these parts
Im not an expert but I dont think 304 type 2 ignitions is alot. That amounts to about 100 revolutions which at over 6750 rpm is less than a second.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by soothsayer
Im not an expert but I dont think 304 type 2 ignitions is alot. That amounts to about 100 revolutions which at over 6750 rpm is less than a second.
That's exactly what my research and the dealer tells me as well. There seems to be no definitive answer on this subject. Its been researched and debated a lot.

I am just thinking the tech drove it hard for testing the 2nd gear pop out and it just hit the rev limiter..This tech is highly experienced and recommended by Markski. I doubt he would money shift this car.

Man i am hoping this is not a big show stopper...i cant wait to get into that car tommorow.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:21 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
those are not very high numbers for that many engine hours...Type 1's are nothing but hitting the rev limiter and represents ignitions at limiter..at 6k rpm there are 600 ignitions per second..ideally, you would hope for no type 2's but that is a low number...one wrong downshift would quickly produce that many ignitions

Old 10-18-2008, 12:17 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
I may have missed it, but how many TOTAL hours on the motor???

They are not outrageous unless they were done recently... For example if the total hours are 3000, then the last overrev at 848 is cool.

But if the car has 18k miles, then 848 hours may be recent. If recent there is no way to know if there might be some other damage/issues that may turn up.

A

Old 10-18-2008, 02:27 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
304Typ II isn't much to worry about....judging by the hours...the tech who took it out did the dirty deed when "checking it out". You have the same number of total hours for the Type I as the Type II....so the event happened VERY RECENTLY....your tech was over exuberant in his PPI testing of the car. Get on his ***.

I'd say no big deal though....304 really appears to be a one time event from an over rev...but I can't say what caused it....downshift missed, or whatever. From my understanding of the over-rev issue....that's not that many revs in the red. Should be ok....but how old was the tech who did the "testing"?? There have been threads that show that an over rev can be caused by the inertia of the flywheel if you stomp the gas pedal and it continues to rev for a split second or two. I don't understand the physics, but if you do a search, a few guys attempt to explain it. If the compression and leakdown are good...no problemo....I have a few of the Type II's in my car too...and it runs like a goosed mongoose...no excessive oil consumption etc.

Best of luck in your acquisiton.....Chuck

Old 10-18-2008, 06:01 AM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
ah, i thought it was 304848 type 2 over rev, this is why i found it weird.

mine had 555 over rev type 2, car runs like a champ. I wouldn't worry about the 304, this is not something crazy.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:53 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies. This is my first porsche , the replies here puts me at ease.

The total operating hrs are 849.5, so i am positive its the PPI tech. The tech is a old very experinced guy recommended by Markski. Mark knows him well.

I havent driven the car after the PPI, its at the indi dealer getting some things fixed as recommended by the tech , Like replace front CV boots (inner and outer) etc.

I havent done a leakdown/compression test on this car. Is it important for a 18 k miles car? If needed i will definitely get it done monday before i pickup the car.

Also regarding the Type 2 rev should i get the dealer to give me in writing that its okay , even though i will have a 3rd party warranty coverage?

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
304Typ II isn't much to worry about....judging by the hours...the tech who took it out did the dirty deed when "checking it out". You have the same number of total hours for the Type I as the Type II....so the event happened VERY RECENTLY....your tech was over exuberant in his PPI testing of the car. Get on his ***.

I'd say no big deal though....304 really appears to be a one time event from an over rev...but I can't say what caused it....downshift missed, or whatever. From my understanding of the over-rev issue....that's not that many revs in the red. Should be ok....but how old was the tech who did the "testing"?? There have been threads that show that an over rev can be caused by the inertia of the flywheel if you stomp the gas pedal and it continues to rev for a split second or two. I don't understand the physics, but if you do a search, a few guys attempt to explain it. If the compression and leakdown are good...no problemo....I have a few of the Type II's in my car too...and it runs like a goosed mongoose...no excessive oil consumption etc.

Best of luck in your acquisiton.....Chuck

Old 10-18-2008, 09:40 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
If he's an older guy and Marski knows him...I wouldn't worry about it...it's not like you had some kid taking it out for a spin. Leakdown and compression may also be someting you may not have to worry about....but leakdown is usually part of a PPI to give an indicaton of the relative health of the engine......but with low mileage on a TT engine....I'd say no worries. Mine had 19K on it when I bought it and also had one Type II over rev of 460...runs like a champ.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:24 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vbmw335
The total operating hrs are 849.5, so i am positive its the PPI tech. The tech is a old very experinced guy recommended by Markski. Mark knows him well.

Also regarding the Type 2 rev should i get the dealer to give me in writing that its okay , even though i will have a 3rd party warranty coverage?

I would definitely have a discussion with the 'older guy tech'. (Although it could have been the guys loading it on the truck.)

As far as 'in writing'... the ONLY entity that can tell you it isn't a problem would be the people paying any warranty claim. No dealer, mechanic, or Porsche can tell you what the third party warranty might decide... I suppose if they give you a letter saying 'it is fine' and the third party warranty fails to pay, you can sue the people that signed the letter... so good luck getting a letter.

I am concerned about the very recent type 2s, and the unknown nature of how they occurred (was the engine even warm?)

If it was 304, and it happened 100 hours ago, I would say 'no worries'...

But I am super cautious.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Type 1 and Type 2 Over revs