996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Pioneer Head Unit + Phoenix Gold Amp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 07:44 PM
Baasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to behold
Pioneer Head Unit + Phoenix Gold Amp

Guys,

I am thinking of getting a new Pioneer head unit (FH-P800BT-->http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...mier/FH-P800BT) so that I can just connect my iPod in my Turbo. My question is, if I get this head unit, would it be a good idea to add a 4-channel 500 Watt amp (Phoenix Gold Titanium)?? The car has the Bose system stock but I have my amp which was in another car some years ago. It has been collecting dust in the storage so I thought if I get a new head unit I might as well use the amp. However, I want to know what the pros think of this.

Where is the best place to get this head unit? I am in the Bay Area, CA.

Also, if I use the amp, I also have a 1.5 Farad capacitor from my old sound system that I can use but that would add a lot of weight which I am not so keen on doing. I am not planning to add subs or anything so I am not sure if the amp & capacitor are necessary.

Any help regarding this is appreciated.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:16 PM
Baasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to behold
WTH, nobody here knows anything about headunits for the Turbo??

My other concern was if I got this Pioneer headunit (link above), would I need a "Denison" unit as well or would that headunit alone suffice?

Old 10-20-2008, 06:33 PM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
Keep in mind that 2003 and up 996tt's use the fiber-optic MOST BUS. If you replace the head unit, you will also have to replace the amp. The Bose speakers also are a strange impedance, so it isn't a bad idea to replace them as well, because they will sound a bit goofy with an aftermarket amp.

I have done all the above and it wasn't a big job. Just know going into it that you will be replacing your whole sound system. I did a Navi head unit with an internal amp which powers the dash, door, and rear speakers. I also added a small amp to power the Bose sub box. All in all, the setup works great and sounds much better than stock. It's also great to have navigation.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Bowles
Keep in mind that 2003 and up 996tt's use the fiber-optic MOST BUS. If you replace the head unit, you will also have to replace the amp. The Bose speakers also are a strange impedance, so it isn't a bad idea to replace them as well, because they will sound a bit goofy with an aftermarket amp.

I have done all the above and it wasn't a big job. Just know going into it that you will be replacing your whole sound system. I did a Navi head unit with an internal amp which powers the dash, door, and rear speakers. I also added a small amp to power the Bose sub box. All in all, the setup works great and sounds much better than stock. It's also great to have navigation.
Wow! So if I just change the headunit to a Pioneer I would also have to change the amp and then the speakers? I thought I could just add the headunit that is iPod compatible and be on my way!? ..

Old 10-21-2008, 06:59 AM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Baasha
Wow! So if I just change the headunit to a Pioneer I would also have to change the amp and then the speakers? I thought I could just add the headunit that is iPod compatible and be on my way!? ..
Yes, that's how it goes. The OEM headunit and amp are connected via fiber-optics, so if you replace one, you must replace the other. You don't have to replace the speakers, but it's not a bad idea.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:50 AM
vbzatty is infamous around these parts
There are kits out there that replace the cd changer with an ipod adapter. That may be a better route to go.