996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

External wastegate problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Valley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really nice
External wastegate problem

My brother and I spent Saturday fabricating the headers to put external wastegates. Once we finished, I took it for a test drive and noticed that my stock boost gage hit 1.5 and then blew a hose. After hooking the boost hose back up I took the car out again and saw a 1.3 and a 1.5 briefly again. I bought the tials with 1.0 bar springs, but I didn't hear the wastegates open up. Any suggestions or ideas on what might be the problem? Is there something I need to do to the wastegates to have them open? Also, I plugged up the stock vacuum hose that went to the stock wastegate. Should I hook it up to the wastegate? And if so, which "hole" should it be hooked up to, the top or the one on the side? Thanks.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:42 PM
jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !
are u using a ebc?

Old 10-19-2008, 10:46 PM
Rippinralf is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Valley996TT
My brother and I spent Saturday fabricating the headers to put external wastegates. Once we finished, I took it for a test drive and noticed that my stock boost gage hit 1.5 and then blew a hose. After hooking the boost hose back up I took the car out again and saw a 1.3 and a 1.5 briefly again. I bought the tials with 1.0 bar springs, but I didn't hear the wastegates open up. Any suggestions or ideas on what might be the problem? Is there something I need to do to the wastegates to have them open? Also, I plugged up the stock vacuum hose that went to the stock wastegate. Should I hook it up to the wastegate? And if so, which "hole" should it be hooked up to, the top or the one on the side? Thanks.

How are you controlling the wastegates? I'm not sure what kind of tech knowledge you have and I don't mean to disrespect, but if no vacuum lines are hooked up to the TiALs they won't open. Also, if you're running a MBC (manual boost conotroller) you should run it to the side port on the wastegate. If you're running an EBC you can run it like so:

http://www.aempower.com/images/produ...%2030-2400.pdf

If you run manifold pressure to the side port on the wastegate you should boost at ~ 14.5psi of 1 bar. So basically if you wanted to tinker around, you could run a vacuum line from the intake manifold or a pressure source to the side ports on the wasteagate and yous hould run about 14.5-15psi, usually they run a bit higher than the rated spring pressure. Generally the rule of thumb for external gates is you can run about 2 x the spring pressure with an EBC (electronic boost controller).

hopefully some of that is useful

Good luck with the setup, i'm sure you'll love the tials

Old 10-19-2008, 11:53 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
SOunds liek he does not have a real understanding of what to do... please dont get on her as you might be running in full boost mode and it will go to 2.5 bars... BLOW UP...
get some feedback and show us what you did first before you continue...
good luck
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-20-2008, 12:06 AM
Valley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really niceValley996TT is just really nice
No disrespect taken on my end. I'm on this forum for the benefit of the collective knowledge/experience our members posses. So, all input welcomed. I will be running a EBC, but have not installed it yet. So, it sounds like I need to run the stock vacuum hose on the side port of the tial for it to open, correct? If so I can make that connection this week.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:39 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
I believe over on Rennlist...ARD put up a DIY on how to balance out the wastegates so that they opened at the same time....he did mine for me, and they perform flawlessly....but his DIY also involved the installation of the UMW wastegate kit.There are also DIY's using a measurement methodology from the end of the shaft to one of the nuts that sets the actuator rod length. I would recommend a search on the subject of wastegate actuator rod or someting using a similar terminology.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:01 PM
jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !
No disrespect taken on my end. I'm on this forum for the benefit of the collective knowledge/experience our members posses. So, all input welcomed. I will be running a EBC, but have not installed it yet. So, it sounds like I need to run the stock vacuum hose on the side port of the tial for it to open, correct? If so I can make that connection this week.

It is my understanding that you cannot run tial EW without a EBC. If this is true dont drive you car until you have the EBC

Old 10-20-2008, 04:31 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Post a picture of your headers you made, if you did not do the collector right, you will see some strong boost creep. We hook up EBC to external wastegates all the time on Porsches, just give me a buzz if you need help.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:47 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
you can not run the externals without a ebc ... do not dive yoru car till you hook one up.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. I hooked the stock vacuum lines to the side inlet on the tials and they are now opening. They make such a cool sound when they open and dump straight out! Although, I have noticed that I still see some 1.5 spikes, but only after letting off. Is this the "strong boost creep" you mentioned Dan? Anyway, I will make the time to install the Profec B this weekend to better control the boost. Anyone know how much trouble this will be. And, how to hook up the vacuum hoses. I was thinking of using the QuickTap to tap the silicone hose coming out of the compressor housing for a closer pressure source. Any suggestions?

Old 10-20-2008, 11:24 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Thanks for everyone's input. I hooked the stock vacuum lines to the side inlet on the tials and they are now opening. They make such a cool sound when they open and dump straight out! Although, I have noticed that I still see some 1.5 spikes, but only after letting off. Is this the "strong boost creep" you mentioned Dan? Anyway, I will make the time to install the Profec B this weekend to better control the boost. Anyone know how much trouble this will be. And, how to hook up the vacuum hoses. I was thinking of using the QuickTap to tap the silicone hose coming out of the compressor housing for a closer pressure source. Any suggestions?

Stop what ur doing before you blow it up.... Im serious....
1. what springs do you have in there?
2. what ecu are you running? you cant just stick external WGs thinking everything will work... the ecu has to be coded...
3. you need a greddy profec B hooked up correctly with a ECU that allows all this to happen...

click to view

Old 10-20-2008, 11:42 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
FYI. Those are pressure lines going to the stock wastegates, not vacuum. Throw some tiewraps on to ensure no leaks.

I don't know enough about external WGs and EBCs to help. If it were I, I'd be paying real close attention to Mr. Markski.

A

Last edited by ard; 10-20-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:54 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by ard
FYI. Those are pressure lines going to the stock wastegates, not vacuum. Throw some tiewraps on to ensure no leaks.

I don't know enough about external WGs and EBCs to help. If it were I, I'd be paying real close attention to Mr. Markski.

A
LOL

he can hook up a manual boost controller for $30. you hook up the side of the WG and leave the top alone. you should run separate lines and run it to the side of the MBC.. the bottom of it should be hooked up to the source...( ur pressure.... as far as the DVs... you can just tap it into the source lien wiht the Y splitter...
But he still needs a ecu that doesnt see the stock control valve and one that actually doesnt shut the BT down...

click to view

Old 10-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Markski,

Thanks for the feedback. To answer your questions:

1. I have 1.0 bar springs in the wastegates
2. I'm running a GIAC non-race gas tune (have the "Stage IV" setup/bolt-on's)

As far as your point 3, will the Greddy Profec B work with my ECU tune?

I will go out today and buy a manual boost controller and install as per your directions if the Greddy will not work with my ECU tune. What did you mean when you wrote..."( ur pressure.... as far as the DVs... you can just tap it into the source lien wiht the Y splitter...). Are you saying that I will have to do something to the DVs to bring them into the loop? Please explain further. Thanks agains

Old 10-21-2008, 11:20 AM
TiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond reputeTiALSport has a reputation beyond repute
Markski,

Thanks for the feedback. To answer your questions:

1. I have 1.0 bar springs in the wastegates
2. I'm running a GIAC non-race gas tune (have the "Stage IV" setup/bolt-on's)

As far as your point 3, will the Greddy Profec B work with my ECU tune?

I will go out today and buy a manual boost controller and install as per your directions if the Greddy will not work with my ECU tune. What did you mean when you wrote..."( ur pressure.... as far as the DVs... you can just tap it into the source lien wiht the Y splitter...). Are you saying that I will have to do something to the DVs to bring them into the loop? Please explain further. Thanks agains
for the time being, if you hook bottom port of the gates to a pressure only source (IC, IC pipes, comp housing etc) you will run 1 bar of boost

granted you have proper priority on the manifolds

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: External wastegate problem