996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Build quality?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 04:32 AM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
I agree with you that Porsche quality could improve. The good news is that the top creaking is covered under warranty. I have had mine fixed under warranty.

Good luck.
Roy

Old 08-28-2004, 05:19 AM
Welcome to the OC, bitch!
trojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant future
Other than a persistent engine oil leak that led to a replaced engine @ 7K miles, I have had only a couple **VERY MINOR** annoyance issues with my Turbo.

Compare this to my moms S600 which has been in the shop a total of 5 weeks out of the 1 year she's owned it!

Old 08-28-2004, 11:09 AM
dgussin1 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Headdoc
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my car. I guess my expectations were that I would not experience so many little problems so early.

OKH, We need to meet sometime so you can see your creation first hand. Maybe at Lucent.

With that kind of luck I would go to Vegas. My 99 Cobra Vert must have been made by blind, one armed, mongoloids because that thing was a POS.

I will make an appt. at the Auto Gallery this week so that they can address my concerns. Anybody have good/bad expereinces there?
with all due respect, a 2004 Cobra is a far cry from a 99 in build quality/engine and looks IMO.

Old 08-28-2004, 11:23 AM
Banned
allanlambo is infamous around these parts
Wow. I thought Porsche build quality was superb according to most here? My Lambo doesnt rattle.

Old 08-28-2004, 10:06 PM
Joe West is infamous around these parts
Not only that... but German Robots were assembled by HAND whereas American Robots were assembled by Japanese Robots which were assembled by German Robots.

Originally posted by Headdoc
That's true, but they are German Robots.

Old 08-28-2004, 10:07 PM
Joe West is infamous around these parts
The coupes creak also. You notice is ESPECIALLY when going up a relatively sharply inclined driveway at an angle... you can hear the body flexing.

Joe

Originally posted by RKS
IMO Porsche has created an exceptionally rigid body for the tt cab. I don't get any "creaking" on the street or track. Have had the top up only once or twice in 7k miles so can't really tell if it creaks or not. Haven't driven a coupe hard, but I can't imagine it being much stiffer that this cab.

Old 08-29-2004, 03:22 AM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
The coupe definitely creaks. My does after I rested diagonally on a driveway once for a few seconds. After that, some where from the rear deck creaks every time I go diagonal on a driveway.
Hate it.

Now the dash, probably the airbag panel, rattles when I go over expansion joints, dividers, or accelerate/decelerate at around 70mph.

There is also an incessant drivetrain whine when cruising at highway speeds. It's sensitive to throttle inputs.

My warranty just expired too

Think I'll take Allan's advice. Go for the lambo if you want quality workmanship with Italian robots

Old 08-29-2004, 12:12 PM
Headdoc is infamous around these parts
I made an appt. at auto gallery for next Friday. I'm glad to hear that they are honoring claims of creaking and clanking cab tops.

As for the Lamb, I think I would rather go with the 430. Seems Ferrari owners are not as loud as allanlambo, oops I mean lambo owners.

Old 08-31-2004, 02:39 PM
KenHenderson is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by allanlambo
Wow. I thought Porsche build quality was superb according to most here? My Lambo doesnt rattle.
Anyone who thinks Porsche build quality, or reliability and durability for that matter, is top notch is probably a senior member of the flat earth society. Spoilers that don't work, oiling problems (resulting in toasted motors), assorted creaks and groans.....Its quite amazing when you think of it, given the price of the cars. When the most reputable German magazines and pollsters surveyed German customers, the best cars for initial and long-term quality were all Japanese. The same results were found in the customer service area. All of the major German manufacturers were rated poorly with Mercedes bringing up the rear (in customer service).

You have 10 year old Lexi that, if rated today, would outstrip all German manufacturers in initial and long-term quality. For those of us that are enthusiasts to the core, all of the above might not matter. But let's recognize we are no different than the Jaguar apologists prior to Ford's takeover. In my view, with the possible exception of VAG, the whole German car industry is in trouble in these areas. They are the only ones that don't know it yet.

Old 08-31-2004, 03:17 PM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
Get your tranny checked/fixed now!

I made the mistake of not recognizing the 2nd gear popout issue until now, after my warranty expired a month ago. It was not easily reproduceable for 4 years until recently.

Porsche wants me to pay for the 20 hour open-tranny analysis work ($3000) before they determine if it's due to wear or manufacturing bug. If it's the latter, then they'll consider picking up the rest of the tab.

There is no way I'm going to spend $3000 for something that's a well known problem. I'll continue to fight PCNA and give them a real bad rap if they don't fix it.

As for the rest of you, if you haven't done so already within your warranty period, bring your car in now before it's too late.
This should force Porsche to do a recall on their tranny.