996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 TT rear wing mod advise please.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 08:03 AM
darkside is infamous around these parts
996 TT rear wing mod advise please.

Just bought a 996 x50 TT and I love it. But I need to do something about the stock rear wing. It seems so whimpy.

I did a search and it seems like there are many different wing options. I don't want to change out the back lid, unless thats the best way. Of the add on wings available, is there a general consensus on the best type (TA, R, GT) and vendor? Would CF or painted look best with basalt black?

Thanks for any advise, links, input on type and where to buy.

Attached Images  
Old 10-25-2008, 08:36 AM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
I love my rear gt2 decklid from mashaw!! Hes a great guy to deal with also!!

Old 10-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by colorinc
I love my rear gt2 decklid from mashaw!! Hes a great guy to deal with also!!

Thanks, I will look into it! So you went with an entire decklid?

Old 10-25-2008, 09:46 AM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
I just added a new rear wing, 1/2 painted 1/2 carbon fiber, inexpensive and good looking. I will post pics in a week or so.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:48 AM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
I felt the exact same why you did, I went with a Techart type 1 , in carbon fiber. Its not too big and its works well with the stock decklid

Attached Images  
Old 10-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by LiNks
I just added a new rear wing, 1/2 painted 1/2 carbon fiber, inexpensive and good looking. I will post pics in a week or so.

That sounds interesting. Cant wait to see what you painted.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by kilrgt
I felt the exact same why you did, I went with a Techart type 1 , in carbon fiber. Its not too big and its works well with the stock decklid

I like the look of that a lot!

Old 10-25-2008, 12:23 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
I think the GT2 decklid wing is the best looking out there.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Check out 996Wings and MAShaw. They have 2-3 options for add-ons, it's inexpensive and easy.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:59 PM
maxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the roughmaxwell is a jewel in the rough
GT2 decklid and wing looks the best IMO. If you don't wanna change the whole decklid, that techart type 1 looks great, and works with the stock lid. The add-on GT2 wing that goes with the stock decklid looks awkward IMO.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Daz - Porker is infamous around these parts
I just bought one from Maxspeed, they do a half carbon half black which bolts on in the std position but sticks over the rear lights a bit more.
Should arrive monday

Black with carbon looks nice

Old 10-25-2008, 06:31 PM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
I bought the same wing, the TA CF style wing and painted the 1/2 of it that was black to match my car (seal grey) and just left the top of it in CF.

I felt the gloss black was to harsh against the car, the shop (RPM North) that put it on also bored out some material from where it bolts on so it sits a little bit more flush with the decklid instead of having that 1/4" gap.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:16 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by darkside
Just bought a 996 x50 TT and I love it. But I need to do something about the stock rear wing. It seems so whimpy.

I did a search and it seems like there are many different wing options. I don't want to change out the back lid, unless thats the best way. Of the add on wings available, is there a general consensus on the best type (TA, R, GT) and vendor? Would CF or painted look best with basalt black?

Thanks for any advise, links, input on type and where to buy.
no doubt the opinions here are good, but common. I am selling my rear factory Porsche aero wing. this wing is wind tunnel tested for creating added downforce without drag.

dont see that many like the GT2 wing and this is factory.

also obviously will fit well. I will take your deck as partial payment and some $

or for something else different, go to GettyDesign lots of options

mine....

email me if interested at tkerrmd@aol.com

Old 10-25-2008, 08:23 PM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
I have to agree with Tom. The aerokit rear wing is very unique and looks great!! I searched for months and finally found one. I just had it painted and installed it, and it totally transformed the look of the car.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:02 AM
Thanks Guys! This is just the kind of advise and feedback i was looking for. It has been extremely helpful as a new owner. I think I am going to choose between the GT2, TA and Techart I styles. Mainly its for aesthetics. The OEM turbo aerokit no doubt is probably ideal, but I am not a big fan of the shape of it.

I think I am going to do coilovers and drop it a bit and powder coat the wheels with matte black and black chrome for the lips next. Any suggestions on that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks again for all the help and any suggestions would be much appreciated.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 TT rear wing mod advise please.