996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

OFFICIAL OCT 08 TEXAS MILE Results thread!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 11:09 AM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MBailey
Did anyone talk to any of the GT-R guys? I talked to one who got 166mph.
That was the max they got. Everyone was doing it in automatic. Noone launching and were disappointed in not being able to launch. Guy I talked to for a while was not happy with limited car use due to warranty troubles. I do believe they performed good for what they own.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:13 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cc08gt2
That was the max they got. Everyone was doing it in automatic. Noone launching and were disappointed in not being able to launch. Guy I talked to for a while was not happy with limited car use due to warranty troubles. I do believe they performed good for what they own.
Does using launch mode void warranty?

I doubt launch mode would have helped much on speed at the end of the mile.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:19 AM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MBailey
Does using launch mode void warranty?

I doubt launch mode would have helped much on speed at the end of the mile.
Yep. Read the 100 page thread on the 997 turbo section. It is an emotional subject. They are good track cars, but can't touch us in straight line runs.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:39 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Are you the one that entered the 60-130 competition in Houston recently? I have you listed as stock on the list, and just want to make sure before I change it to modded.

Thanks.
That's a different car Scott. I'm chasing that one here:

http://vimeo.com/2076314

Old 10-27-2008, 01:13 PM
houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !

What else needs to be said? That is NUTS!!!!!! Congrats to all that came out and congrats to all who acheived their goals!

Peter

Old 10-27-2008, 01:17 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eclou
That's a different car Scott. I'm chasing that one here:

http://vimeo.com/2076314
Thanks, Eugene.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:59 PM
fastdreams has a spectacular aura aboutfastdreams has a spectacular aura about
One of you folks?

Old 10-27-2008, 04:09 PM
_Zac has a brilliant future_Zac has a brilliant future_Zac has a brilliant future_Zac has a brilliant future_Zac has a brilliant future_Zac has a brilliant future_Zac has a brilliant future_Zac has a brilliant future_Zac has a brilliant future_Zac has a brilliant future_Zac has a brilliant future
My buddy Craig took a few shots, SW should like this one..

http://i33.tinypic.com/1z3p20h.jpg

Old 10-27-2008, 04:42 PM
Former Vendor
Tym Switzer is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by _Zac
I know the Switzer car did mid 190's, maybe 194, but they had a lot of problems. I'm pretty interested in hearing what happened with that closing TB issue they were having and what the cause was. With the power they are pushing it should have gone 200+ all day long! Though I will say this, that car was beautiful to look at even while standing still.

I'm finally getting a chance to catch up with some things while we're on the road home. I'm sitting in an Applebee's trying to catch a quick bite and straighten my damn legs out! This 3300 mile round trip is kicking my ***.

First of all, I want to say what a pleasure it was to meet everyone who came out to the mile. It's a great event, run by great people and attended by great people.

As many of you know, David asked us to take his Sledgehammer down to The Mile to see what it would do. He was going to be in Spain and there was no way that he could go down and run the car. Admittedly, I was apprehensive about driving the car... but I thought it would be a good opportunity to get data on the build since we had never had the opportunity to hang the car out in high gear to the limit. So Lee and I loaded up the car, a handful of basic tools and headed out for the 1600+ mile trip to the event.

It was our intention to run the car in racegas form at about 1.6 bar boost. On my first run, the car was pulling strong and I saw the speedo hit 190 as I came up to the 3/4 mile marker and then it shut down. I wasn't quite sure what had happened and I didn't log the first run (I had enough other things going through my mind as it was my first time running the event, lol). On the second run, I was able to log the run and determine that I was getting throttle closure just as I made the shift to 6th gear. We had never had the opportunity to run the car to its limit in high gear. Because this is a client's car and not a shop car, there are certain performance nanny's that we've left in place to give the engine as much protection as possible. Unfortunately, until you push the car to its limits in testing, you really don't know where those limits should be set. So I took an educated guess that we had enough headroom and I was too conservative.

After numerous attempts at trying to bandaid a fix at the track, we had to resign ourselves to running low boost runs. The first run attempt at lower boost was supposed to be at 1.2 bar, but I mis-fingered the keyboard in the staging area and entered .12 bar. I ended up making a full clean run and the car ran 180mph... at .8 bar! After realizing what I had done (DUH), I set the ecu for 1.4 bar and ended up running 194.99 at 1.3 bar with the car shutting down just before the mile marker.

I'm disappointed that other people are disappointed in our performance, but I am actually very happy. We had never had an opportunity to hang the car out like this, so the weekend provided me with a goldmine of data. The other thing is that I pounded on the car all weekend... we made 11 or 12 full passes and the car never experienced any mechanical issues. We didn't have one blown hose or anything. I ran the car for hours over the weekend in the staging area with the A/C on because I wasn't doing well in the heat. We had several passes where I hit 190 before the 3/4 marker. The other positive insight I have from the data... this car will run 200 on pumpgas given the boost levels with which it ran 195 on a 90 degree day.

All in all... I'm very happy. Tired and weary, but happy.

Again... it was great to meet so many of you. You guys were great.

Okay... back to the road... need to get home.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Nice job, Tym.

This is your first time testing at these speeds so it's understandable you had some unplanned hiccups. I personally think the car will surpass 210 mph at full boost once you get the tuning sorted out. That's amazing for any car, but especially for one on a stock block!

Nice job, bro.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:03 PM
_Zac has a brilliant future_Zac has a brilliant future_Zac has a brilliant future_Zac has a brilliant future_Zac has a brilliant future_Zac has a brilliant future_Zac has a brilliant future_Zac has a brilliant future_Zac has a brilliant future_Zac has a brilliant future_Zac has a brilliant future
Sorry Tym if my post came across as a dissapointing one. I ment that the car looked amazing and that without the issues coming up it surely would have gone the distance. Cangrats on a job well done, I think I speak for everyone when I say how impressive that car is.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Daz - Porker is infamous around these parts
Sounds like you guys had a blast

Old 10-27-2008, 05:54 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Yes. That's me. Great shots. Got any more?

Originally Posted by fastdreams
One of you folks?

Old 10-27-2008, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
Yes. That's me. Great shots. Got any more?
Nice car. I remember looking at all your duct tape! How easy was that to remove, or have you? Does it really help? I was amazed at the detail some guys we to in order to achieve speed. Several guys asked me about that, fuel, etc. I was just ther to drive. Didn't really know it was necessary to be so detailed. Guess I am learning.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:20 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cc08gt2
Nice car. I remember looking at all your duct tape! How easy was that to remove, or have you? Does it really help? I was amazed at the detail some guys we to in order to achieve speed. Several guys asked me about that, fuel, etc. I was just ther to drive. Didn't really know it was necessary to be so detailed. Guess I am learning.
thanks. I use gaffers tape. It sticks way better than the blue painters tape. It comes of easily with zero residue. There was a certain individual who used duct tape and it peeled his paint off right to the primer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL OCT 08 TEXAS MILE Results thread!