996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I joined the Protomotive K24/18g club!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 10:43 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
I joined the Protomotive K24/18g club!

Hello all,

I wrote this for three reasons. I want to say that I am very happy with my decision to use the Proto 24/18gs. Share my experience and opinion, of the Proto K24/18s, for all the people who are curious about it. And lastly, thank the people that helped turn my idea into a reality. I will say that the K24/18g system you've read so much about is the real deal. It is a very high hp, friendly and affordable option. Mucho grande' thanks to Markski, Todd Knighton of Protomotive, Bobby and finally Adam for the use of his lift and his help porting my headers.

I bought my 996tt this summer with the intention of leaving it the way it was. However, as they say the best laid plans........ My 13,000 mile Porsche came with a V- flow, diverter valves and a flash. I've been told it was making around 480 crank hp. It definitely was no slouch.

For some reason, cough.....cough, This Forum, cough.....cough, I decided to go a little crazy and make some additional changes to my car. There's a lot of info good and bad out there. I educated myself and after talking with a lot of very knowledgeable people and reading everything I could get my hands on I decided to go with the Protomotive K24/18g system. With the help of Markski, Todd Knighton of Protomotive, Bobby and Adam my car is now a Proto 650 car. I can't say enough good things about the above mentioned individuals especially Markski. Without their help and expertise my new setup may not have happened.

I would consider this car a daily driver. The ATS triple carbon clutch takes a little getting use to but other than that, it's a painless transition. Well, except for writing checks for all of the parts lol. For all of those out there that aren't sure what to do I will say, in my opinion, this set up is AWESOME!! My Porsche purrs like a kitten when you're taking it easy around town. However, that all changes when you drop the hammer. Then, it becomes an absolute monster! I am not exaggerating, nadda....zip. It will pin you to your seat, lose traction in first, second and third gear and drop you into HOLY S**T mode in a heartbeat. Unless you're bogging the engine at 2000 rpm there is no lag at all. I'm literally doing triple digits before I know it (thank you Valentine 1 lol). Also, I'm not easily impressed, probably because I go really fast day in and day out at work. I've also had other fast cars and motorcycles,i.e, Corvettes, modified 930 and a 06 GSXR 1000.

So add me to the happy camper Proto list! Have a great weekend everyone.

Last edited by ReeknHavic; 10-26-2008 at 07:27 AM.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:48 PM
DMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud of
I listened to Mr DJ and yeah.... IT turned out I made a wise choice.. The pkg is truly best bang for the $$.. I am very happy for you!! Enjoy it!! CONGRATS!!

Old 10-25-2008, 11:03 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Enjoy,

I am really surprised how strong my car is on low boost and pump gas.
Really great turbos to lay into, especially for the money!

MK

Old 10-26-2008, 04:34 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
NIce

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-26-2008, 07:47 AM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
I am really surprised how strong my car is on low boost and pump gas.
Really great turbos to lay into, especially for the money!- WOODTSTER

I got caught in rush hour traffic driving home (I got lots of practice working the ATS clutch ) Unfortunately, I burned all of my 100 octane sitting in traffic. I haven't had a chance yet to try out high boost. I've heard there is a big difference between low and high boost. I'm looking forward to that (insert monster laugh here).

Old 10-26-2008, 08:27 AM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Hey Reek, I'm a pilot too. Are you Corporate like me? I am debating on these turbo's as well. Glad you made the jump.

TXGold

Old 10-26-2008, 08:58 AM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
how would this set up be on a tiptronic car? too much lag? better staying with K16 type set up?

Old 10-26-2008, 09:42 AM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
Congrats Reeknhavic, hows the chatter noise? Let me know how you were told to break in that clutch? Just curious. Love the pwr its the sh**! Have fun.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
Glad to hear you are so happy with the PE650 setup! I know you had been debating for a while about doing it, so I'm glad you pulled the trigger. It's an awesome kit, that's for sure!!!

Enjoy it in good health!

Old 10-26-2008, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by TXGold
Hey Reek, I'm a pilot too. Are you Corporate like me? I am debating on these turbo's as well. Glad you made the jump.

TXGold
I'm very happy I made the jump too. These turbos and Todd's Tune make an unbelievable difference in the car.

No, I'm not a corporate guy. I fly MD11s for FedEx. What do you fly?

Old 10-26-2008, 10:55 AM
996twin_sc is infamous around these parts
Welcome to the club!

Old 10-26-2008, 11:53 AM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
G550 for an Oil Company. Need any applicants?

Old 10-26-2008, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by boca996tt
how would this set up be on a tiptronic car? too much lag? better staying with K16 type set up?
I would call Todd of Protomotive about that. I would think a tip would respond just as well as a manual. Maybe even better due to shift speed but this is just a guess. All I know is this setup absolutely destroys my K16s with dvs, V flow and a flash. My car is an entirely different animal on boost.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by hollywood996tts
Congrats Reeknhavic, hows the chatter noise? Let me know how you were told to break in that clutch? Just curious. Love the pwr its the sh**! Have fun.
It's non existent. If you hold in the clutch for several seconds you can hear a very faint noise and I mean you really have to listen for it. If I'm in a high gear coasting in traffic and the rpm drops a lot (below 1800 ish) then get back on the gas you can hear a little mechanical noise for maybe a second then it's gone. It's transient and normal from what Todd and others tell me. The ATS triple carbon is a very quiet clutch compared to other clutches I've heard.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by 996twin_sc
Welcome to the club!
Thanks happy to be on the team.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I joined the Protomotive K24/18g club!