996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GIAC vs EVOMSit--Worth upgrading?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
It sounds like you should dyno your car and make a call to both tuners and see what they think. Every car is different. You will find happy guys with both. By calling you can see what it would cost and what they will project will happen to give you the best result. IMHO the best result is the most hp but smoothe/reliable power. ayou may send the dyno results in and find a problem or the tuners may both tell you it looks good.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:03 PM
Baasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SamboTT
Baasha what part of CA are you in?
Bay Area, CA.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:32 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
You will have to make a nice video with that fabspeed on and post some videos.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:36 PM
derm is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by art4iza
You will have to make a nice video with that fabspeed on and post some videos.
Yes, please. I also want to know how good it is.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:55 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Baasha
Guys, thanks for the replies.

I was told (by a pretty popular tuner here in NorCal) to "keep the GIAC" as it works fine.
"Pretty popular tuner..." let me guess. I know a tuner does things that only make sense, would not do mods that put you in danger, know Pcar mods inside out, and not trying to squeeze every dime from you.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:55 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SamboTT
Baasha, To be fair I think the GIAC tune you have is probably fine and has been for years. No one will come out and tell you that it's bad.....
Sam, you know that's a bit of a stretch. I don't mean to be negative, but the GIAC files have sucked for years on the big power kits. Those with a good experience are the overwhelming minority.

Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2008, 10:48 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Guys, thanks for the replies.

I forgot to mention that I do have the Hitachi MAF on the car and the power is great but unfortunately my buddy who had a GT700 w/ EVOMSit just sold his car (parted out and sold it stock) so I didn't get a chance to really race him.

I was told (by a pretty popular tuner here in NorCal) to "keep the GIAC" as it works fine. However, I felt that I wanted the 'best' software for my car so what do you guys think? Should I still switch to the EVOMSit or just keep the GIAC? Also, the update is just loading a new file right? It's not like there are new ECU's or anything.

I am still wondering why the EVOMSit was not recommended to me. (??)
Hey Baasha, no worries and just so you are understand me, the GT700 is a sold as a kit with a full exhaust system and by you changing to straight pipes (and thus lowering the back pressure so much) I think you'll be going "off the reservation" so to speak. If you stick with the exhaust you have now then by all means do the newer GT700 EVOMSit software. But since you're going to go down the straight pipe route my advice is still to have it custom tuned by EVOMS. That way you won't be relying on software that's tuned for an exhaust vs straight pipes just "adapting" and working perfectly. You don't want to risk when it comes to over-boosting/stalling at that level. As I was saying, I've been down this road both with my car (on GIAC then) and even though I don't know the ins and outs as much with that software I know that a gt700 won't run as well on straight pipes either. I know you have been talking about adding more power with various hardware for a few months and I think maybe getting all the pieces that you want together and in essence making your car much less a GT700 and more of a custom set up you'd really be best served by getting it custom-tuned.... I can't speak enough about the custom-tuning abilities from Todd/EVO. It's really changed a lot and for me personally on my car I was able to chop/change and spec things out a lot more and he could fine tune for my needs You won't be comparing apples to apples that way either. What you could do is run the EVOMSit on your car now with the _same_ hardware and make a decision that way. Even though the kit was already on the car when you bought it, Todd/EVO have already said they would upgrade it for free which is neat.
I guess I'll miss the sound of that sweet Europipe!

Last edited by sharkster; 10-30-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:56 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MY996TT
"Pretty popular tuner..." let me guess. I know a tuner does things that only make sense, would not do mods that put you in danger, know Pcar mods inside out, and not trying to squeeze every dime from you.
Hehe thanks MY996TT:P I think if someone says to me they like the way the car is etc... I'm hesitant to do anything else to it

Old 10-30-2008, 11:16 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
I had my car custom tuned @ EVO with the new EVOMSit software early this year. I have the big throttle body and modified Y-Pipe along with a 92mm custom Europipe. The car runs so much better now. I started with GIAC software / GT28 turbos [GT640] back in 2003 and it was 5 years of problems. I can't comment on the GIAC/Hitachi MAF setup except for that it was too little too late for me. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Mike

Old 10-30-2008, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by Zippy
I had my car custom tuned @ EVO with the new EVOMSit software early this year. I have the big throttle body and modified Y-Pipe along with a 92mm custom Europipe. The car runs so much better now. I started with GIAC software / GT28 turbos [GT640] back in 2003 and it was 5 years of problems. I can't comment on the GIAC/Hitachi MAF setup except for that it was too little too late for me. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Mike
Hey Mike, same here with my car except it was a GT800 with extra bits, bobs, more bits and pieces. When doing GT700+, 700++++, 800++ and the like it's good to know Todd/EVO can custom tune it on the dyno and street

Old 10-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Baasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MY996TT
LOL. Now, who could that be? hahaha.. Of course, it's the Shark.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by sharkster
Hey Baasha, no worries and just so you are understand me, the GT700 is a sold as a kit with a full exhaust system and by you changing to straight pipes (and thus lowering the back pressure so much) I think you'll be going "off the reservation" so to speak. If you stick with the exhaust you have now then by all means do the newer GT700 EVOMSit software. But since you're going to go down the straight pipe route my advice is still to have it custom tuned by EVOMS. That way you won't be relying on software that's tuned for an exhaust vs straight pipes just "adapting" and working perfectly. You don't want to risk when it comes to over-boosting/stalling at that level. As I was saying, I've been down this road both with my car (on GIAC then) and even though I don't know the ins and outs as much with that software I know that a gt700 won't run as well on straight pipes either. I know you have been talking about adding more power with various hardware for a few months and I think maybe getting all the pieces that you want together and in essence making your car much less a GT700 and more of a custom set up you'd really be best served by getting it custom-tuned.... I can't speak enough about the custom-tuning abilities from Todd/EVO. It's really changed a lot and for me personally on my car I was able to chop/change and spec things out a lot more and he could fine tune for my needs You won't be comparing apples to apples that way either. What you could do is run the EVOMSit on your car now with the _same_ hardware and make a decision that way. Even though the kit was already on the car when you bought it, Todd/EVO have already said they would upgrade it for free which is neat.
I guess I'll miss the sound of that sweet Europipe!
Alex,

Got it! So, if I do decide to go the custom tuning route, can Todd do the tune even if I kept the pipes on or do I still need to get an "exhaust"? If he can do it with the muffler bypass pipes, then I would be really eager to do that.

Thanks.

Btw, we should do a video of both your & James' GT800!! Now, that would be SICK!

Old 10-30-2008, 11:48 PM
Alex,

Got it! So, if I do decide to go the custom tuning route, can Todd do the tune even if I kept the pipes on or do I still need to get an "exhaust"? If he can do it with the muffler bypass pipes, then I would be really eager to do that.

Thanks.

Btw, we should do a video of both your & James' GT800!! Now, that would be SICK!
Oh for sure if you do the straight pipe route Todd can custom tune for that although I'd be careful about pushing things at the 700 level on a stock block. I'm sure he could do it for the bypass pipes... although see how you like that set up with the mufflers as well?

LOL instigator I just drove ours again today before the rain and good thing I got back before the downpour. The tires weren't liking the road for some reason

Old 10-31-2008, 12:41 AM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kilrgt
Again if its only a choice between the two then I agree EVOMS is the one.NineNinesix, if that were the case then why even ask about two different tuners? I'm sorry I don't understand your logic on this one, most times I agree with what you think, but are your trying to tell me there aren't "other so called tuners "out there that cant tune the car? There has been great improvements over the last 2 years and depending how old the kit is, it might benefit from new tune from a new tuner...thats all I'm trying to say
I was just trying to point out he currently has a giac tune. So between the two choices i could advise him to pick the evomsit. I agree, there are great tuners out there. But in his case i think he could benefit from the changes evoms has made since his prior flash.

It's like saying, HP takes over DELL. Would you upgrade to the HP software after or keep the Dell stuff.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:27 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Well Baasha as soon as you said nor-cal I would say call up Sharky and there you go. I think that the offer to go Todd/EVOMSit for free to support your EVO GT700 is pretty awesome. Also I agree with Alex that you are getting into the custom tune realm and you should benefit!

Zippy I can respect your situation and I'm glad that it has worked out. Those kits were twitchy pushing the limits of the injectors and t-body at that time. I am simply trying to show all sides. I have custom tuned my car with GIAC and opened up a nice power band. I also have strayed form the basic 700 package and seen the benefit of the MAF and good custom tuning (especially when you go a-la-cart). So my experience was good.

But again this is an EVO kit and they have shown some good updates/upgrades of late taking the "old" kit farther. The fact that they have gone internal for tuning and support the cars with their kits is very cool and stand-up. I just don't think that it means GIAC was necessarily bad. I'm looking forward getting the EVO inter-coolers and 3" exhaust to finish mine off.

Bottom line Baasha you have a well supported kit and a good dealer to go to. Hit the crack pipe!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GIAC vs EVOMSit--Worth upgrading?