996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GIAC vs EVOMSit--Worth upgrading?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Baasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to behold
GIAC vs EVOMSit--Worth upgrading?

I have the GIAC software (with the Flash Loader) on my 996TT EVOMS GT700.

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to 'upgrade' or switch to the EVOMSit? The car is running smoothly and there are no apparent problems. However, I want to get the latest software possible but I was dissuaded by a 6speed member from doing so because 'if something isn't broken, don't fix it'. I tend to agree with that ideology but I want to make sure that my car has the best as it is my baby!

So yay or nay on the EVOMSit?

Also, what are the pros and cons of the GIAC vs. EVOMSit?

Last edited by Baasha; 10-29-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:37 PM
Baasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to beholdBaasha is a splendid one to behold
Guys, come on! WTF? Has no one here upgraded from GIAC to EVOMSit? What are the pros & cons? Do you think it is worth 'upgrading' to the EVOMSit?

Old 10-29-2008, 11:49 PM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
EVOMSit. Pro's are HMAF & more linear graph.

Yes, it's worth it.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:52 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
I agree with Thomas by going thru the experience. Baasha, did you install the fabspeed yet? How is the sound? You should be louder than all the Ferraris.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:36 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Easy decision... setup a friendly race with a GT700 EVOMsit. If he beats you, go for it. If not, stay at where you are.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:28 AM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
Why only limit yourself to those two tuners??? I can name a few more that I would go with over the given options in your post.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:02 AM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kilrgt
Why only limit yourself to those two tuners??? I can name a few more that I would go with over the given options in your post.
I think it's because the OP has the EVOMS GT700 setup already. I don't think he's looking to further modify his car, rather just a tune. I don't suppose you want him to have anoher one of these so-called tuners retune his current setup

Old 10-30-2008, 12:00 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
EVOMSit

Old 10-30-2008, 12:08 PM
torresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond repute
I have had them both, no brainer.... EVOMSit!!! You will love it.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Baasha, To be fair I think the GIAC tune you have is probably fine and has been for years. No one will come out and tell you that it's bad...but, EVO has developed that kit in the past few years and they have new upgrades (MAF) and tuning (EVOMSit) to offer - yielding more power. That, people will tell you (like Ben and Torresmd). You can probably invest very little and get more out of her. I would.

Ben that is a great looking car. We see so many over the top cars out there that a GT-2 body with those wheels really looks great. Nice job.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:56 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
Again if its only a choice between the two then I agree EVOMS is the one.NineNinesix, if that were the case then why even ask about two different tuners? I'm sorry I don't understand your logic on this one, most times I agree with what you think, but are your trying to tell me there aren't "other so called tuners "out there that cant tune the car? There has been great improvements over the last 2 years and depending how old the kit is, it might benefit from new tune from a new tuner...thats all I'm trying to say

Last edited by kilrgt; 10-30-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:39 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
I made a switch to EvomSit mainly becasue of the H-Maf. But now GIAC offers it as well. Can't really tell any difference in power but the Evoms is smoother. The boost seems more conservative and the AFR is a little richer.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Baasha what part of CA are you in?

Old 10-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Guys, thanks for the replies.

I forgot to mention that I do have the Hitachi MAF on the car and the power is great but unfortunately my buddy who had a GT700 w/ EVOMSit just sold his car (parted out and sold it stock) so I didn't get a chance to really race him.

I was told (by a pretty popular tuner here in NorCal) to "keep the GIAC" as it works fine. However, I felt that I wanted the 'best' software for my car so what do you guys think? Should I still switch to the EVOMSit or just keep the GIAC? Also, the update is just loading a new file right? It's not like there are new ECU's or anything.

I am still wondering why the EVOMSit was not recommended to me. (??)

Old 10-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by art4iza
I agree with Thomas by going thru the experience. Baasha, did you install the fabspeed yet? How is the sound? You should be louder than all the Ferraris.
Hey Art,

Not yet! This weekend hopefully. I can't wait! However this weekend is going to be rainy! ARRGH!! LOL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GIAC vs EVOMSit--Worth upgrading?