996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT catastrophic engine failure...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 12:07 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
I agree with what you said 100% on a generic level. HP to HP the bigger turbo is usually better. You can go too big on a turbo as well and not have enough exhaust to spin the thing effeciently. Have you ever got a ride in a Honda with a large garret turbo. Some of those cars don't see boost until way into the rpms. And when the boost kicks in, it is like being rear ended by a semi at 80. Turbo effeciency is not just a matter of how much psi you can push as much as how much psi you can hold at a certain volume. A stock K-16 may be able to maintain 30 psi all day on a 1.6 liter car, but not hold 10 psi on a 4 liter. I think that alot of people forget that the air mass grams per second of an engine is increasing with RPMs and isn't a constant. Throw in variable valve lift and duration to complicate it even more. When it comes to modifying turbo compressors, you can also run out of turbine to spin it as well. I have heard that the k-16/16g is a good compromise between power and lag. And there is no doubt that Tony can tune a car. Also bang for the buck. I think that ultimately you have to build for intended results. ie peak hp and torque at x rpm and hold to y rpm while keeping the turbos in their compressor map.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:50 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
So are all the K16 hybrids your talking about stock K16 cold sides reworked?

Mine are not. The cold side is larger. much larger. In fact the wheel is big enough that it would not fit in a K16 or K24 housing. The housing for the cold side is a custom made housing by UMW and according to UMW it is closer to a K26 housing in size. I have reducers to fit to the std cold side hoses.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:47 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
So are all the K16 hybrids your talking about stock K16 cold sides reworked?

Mine are not. The cold side is larger. much larger. In fact the wheel is big enough that it would not fit in a K16 or K24 housing. The housing for the cold side is a custom made housing by UMW and according to UMW it is closer to a K26 housing in size. I have reducers to fit to the std cold side hoses.
Are you talking about the 16g? Or the 24/18?

Old 12-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
A few great reads for those wanting the fundamentals on how a turbocharger and turbocharger system works. It will definitely give you a more educated view than just saying "Oh it's a K24/18G you can only run 1.0 on pump".Tuning is a complicated matter, it's great to know what you are getting, but those who do it for a living can always teach you something. It's just a lot easier to understand once you understand the physics of an engine in brief and the fact it's basically one big air pump..

Maximum Boost

Street Turbocharging

Old 12-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VAGscum
Are you talking about the 16g? Or the 24/18?
neither, mine are different K16 hybrids, they have the new GT2 compressor wheel mounted in a housing the size of a K26 and much larger than a K24.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:27 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
neither, mine are different K16 hybrids, they have the new GT2 compressor wheel mounted in a housing the size of a K26 and much larger than a K24.
And the hot side is a K16?

Old 12-09-2008, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by TXGold
And the hot side is a K16?
yes modified k16 turbine that all I know is that it behaves quite different from a stock k16 turbine, but I do not know the technical side of this...here are some pics...

Name:  myturbo3.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  74.8 KB
Name:  myTURBO2.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  79.7 KB
Name:  mynewTURBOS.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  58.8 KB

Old 12-16-2008, 11:18 AM
RickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond repute
Just a quick update... I received my new engine yesterday with a detailed list for it's care & feeding. My Porsche Tech tells me I'll be on the road again next week!!! I'll keep you all updated on the progress!!! Thanks guys for all your support!!!

Old 12-16-2008, 11:27 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RickEager@***.n
Just a quick update... I received my new engine yesterday with a detailed list for it's care & feeding. My Porsche Tech tells me I'll be on the road again next week!!! I'll keep you all updated on the progress!!! Thanks guys for all your support!!!
Did you ever find out exactly what happened to the original engine?

Best of luck with the new engine!

Old 12-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Great news, I bet you'll be grinning ear to ear once you get her back out on the road.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:50 AM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Great news Rick. Glad you're back in the high life again!!!

Old 12-16-2008, 12:11 PM

Rick, that is great news. I am happy for you.
Dennis

Old 12-16-2008, 12:52 PM
RickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=MBailey;2176358]Did you ever find out exactly what happened to the original engine?

Not as of yet... I will know more once the engine is out... and even more when it goes back to Cali and Loren Beggs at 911 Design for the tear down. He promised me the broken pieces and lots of pics to post... Stay tuned!

Old 12-16-2008, 08:39 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Rick,
Glad you went with Loren, you won't be disappointed. Good luck to you,
Andre

Old 01-22-2009, 08:09 AM
Update... my car is back home all snugly in it's spot. I've been enjoying driving it some with its new engine even though I've got to break in and was advised NOT to go above .8 bar for the first 3K miles. You can check out my car in my photo gallery under "Rick's 996TT" I want to thank you guys for all the help, questions & comments - all my best, Rick

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996TT catastrophic engine failure...