996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT catastrophic engine failure...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Former Vendor
Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !Stryke Is a GOD !
$hit, this sucks!!!

I am just about to get this package from Titan this week, now you're scaring me.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:49 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
Wow, we are all feeling your frustration and hope the damage is not as major as it could be. Another plug for Kevin here. Great guy, super helpful and very good quality. Besides a new engine, and new turbos, what else needs a break in time????

I learn new things from this group all the time.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:41 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I'd do financial damage control at this point and PM Kevin for help....and a new engine. It will likely be a lot cheaper....

JB

Old 11-04-2008, 07:09 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Greddy turned off?

Originally Posted by RickEager@***.n
I was running 91 octane pump gas and the Greddy unit was not working properly so I turned it off before leaving the driveway. I later read where you could read the last boost recorded but the unit wouldn't pull it up.
My Greddy went dead on the way to the dragstrip one day.
I do not understand how it could have been running higher than
"on waste gates only" boost??? No matter how you slice it, with all that
oil it does not sound good. Please tell us what actually failed ASAP and
good luck, if this happened to any of us in the current financial crisis
it would be more than catastrophic.

Good luck

Marty

FWIW: the new turbos did not cause this, obviously

Old 11-04-2008, 05:17 PM
RickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond repute
Today I pulled the oil filter and found a few small metal shavings trapped in the filter. I think it's probably bearing material because it's dark gray in color on one side and shiny on the other.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
drain the oil and you will see the problem.... unfortunately it sucks but you should have been more prudent... or at least you should have detail instructions on how to procede with a new fresh kit... this was very preventable....
just my opinion,
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 11-04-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:36 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Best of luck with the fix

Old 11-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Sker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of light
Sorry To Hear Of Your Plight!

Lets See What Your Tech Comes Up With, Then Check Out Engine Costs To Repair Vs. Buying A Replacement Engine.

Good Luck With The Repairs..........

Old 11-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
so if the boost controller does not work, how does boost go up? I guess what I'm asking is that if you turned off the controller, wouldn't the boost just go to the tunes default setting, and what about the safety features on the tune that pull timing ir shut down the engine prior to damage?

Old 11-04-2008, 09:09 PM
RickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond repute
The ECU was set with a safety, but the safety was raised so the Boost Controller could function at a higher Boost w/higher octane fuel. The new motor will not be using the boost controller and will have the factory solenoid for safety. I've got an e-mail out with Todd at Promotive to see if he can reset the ECU for a better & safer unit as I do not wish to have a rerun of this nightmare. The waste gates are 1 bar units and should have popped @1 bar from what I've been told.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RickEager@***.n
The ECU was set with a safety, but the safety was raised so the Boost Controller could function at a higher Boost w/higher octane fuel. The new motor will not be using the boost controller and will have the factory solenoid for safety. I've got an e-mail out with Todd at Promotive to see if he can reset the ECU for a better & safer unit as I do not wish to have a rerun of this nightmare. The waste gates are 1 bar units and should have popped @1 bar from what I've been told.
1 bar? if that is the case then how did the engine go? Do you know what your WOT AFR's where prior to the incident?

Old 11-05-2008, 08:07 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear about the engine. I would suggest data logging after any performance upgrade. It would have probably saved your engine. The other possibility of what might have happened was a wastgate hose leak. You could have also attached the wrong hose(the vent line vs the turbo pressure line)to the wastegate actuator line. Without wastegate hose pressure, the wastegates will have a hard time opening. That can cause over boost. I hope the damage is an easy repair. Keep us up to date.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:13 AM
Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
1 bar? if that is the case then how did the engine go? Do you know what your WOT AFR's where prior to the incident?
He lost oil pressure, everyone keeps ignoring that fact. His pump either got clogged or just broke. If it over boosted it would have detonated and bent a rod, ate a piston, or lifted a head not spun a bearing. I am very sorry to hear, I can promisse you the kit has nothing to do with this problem.
Matt

Old 11-05-2008, 08:25 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Engine failure caused by lean conditions can cause oil pressure loss in some scenarios. It would be one hell of a coincidence for the failure to happen post install.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:30 AM
well I guess he will have the cause investigated to find ut if it was pump/oil related. If not then check into other causes, like lean or other causes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996TT catastrophic engine failure...