996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT catastrophic engine failure...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 08:33 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
well I guess he will have the cause investigated to find ut if it was pump/oil related. If not then check into other causes, like lean or other causes.
I agree 100% with you on that. Its gonna suck either way.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:53 AM
doktordyper is infamous around these parts
Did you

check the muffler bearings?

Old 11-05-2008, 09:01 AM
Banned
4CEFED is infamous around these parts
Very interested to hear what is at the bottom of this, sounds like oil pressure dorpped to me. Good luck with the rebuild/replacement.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:15 AM
Brett B is infamous around these parts
Detonation can in fact destroy bearings, causing little bits of bearing to block oil passages, and thus causing low oil pressure and trashing the rest of the motor. We don't know yet if there are other signs of detonation since the motor isn't apart yet, so it's a bit premature to say that the oil pump just randomly failed right after installing mods.

If the Greddy wasn't working right, it was probably installed incorrectly. The solenoid has 3 ports, NO, NC, and COM, if these ports were hooked up incorrectly (such as using NC instead of NO) then it certainly could cause boost spikes higher then base wastegate pressures, even with the Greddy turned off.

My guess, you ran more boost then you should have for pump gas due to an improper boost controller install. The car felt great, until it detonated like crazy because of running too lean on who knows how much boost. Once severe detonation causes internal damage things can get catastrophic pretty quickly.

Sorry to hear the bad news, hope it all gets fixed soon.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:24 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Rick and updates ? did your tech get to look around ? i hope you dont have to get another motor and its fixable.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:58 PM
RickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond repute
No word yet... it's still setting in my garage. My Porsche tech doesn't have room in his shop yet, maybe next week though. I pulled the Profec B box off the car and went back to the original factory solenoid for safety... I'm gun shy now! I also e-mailed Todd at Protomotive about redoing my ECU program for more safety but haven't heard back yet. I'll let you guys know... most definitely!!!

Old 11-05-2008, 04:45 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
Well I will purchase that EBC of you if your going to sell it, I need one for my big car.
I Still really hope its not major..Good luck and keep us in the loop.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:18 PM
Sker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of light
Rick.........considering Todd Is Probably Rated As The #1 Tuning Tech In The Us If Not Worldwide Then You May Have To Investigate That You May Have Done Something Incorrectly.
His Mappiing Is Most Likely Not The Cause. Did You Trace All The Lines Before You Dismantled The Greddy So As To Know If That Was Hooked Up Incorrectly?
At This Point It Still Would Be Favorable To Know What Caused The Failure Exactly.
Also..........when You Receive A Computer Upgrade By Anyone Its Intial Startup Should Be Done By A Pro Tuner In Your Local Area On A Dyno With Afr Dataloging To Assure The Air Fuel Ratio And Boost Is In A Satisfactory Range. I Know It Cost More Bucks But The Alternative Is Far Worse.
Let Us Know What Your Tech Discovers.
Good Luck.............g

Old 11-05-2008, 08:40 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
^^^ Holy CaPiTalIzAtIOn NigHTmAre....

Old 11-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ard
^^^ Holy CaPiTalIzAtIOn NigHTmAre....

Regardless of how great a tuner someones opinion considers, no option is ruled out, including tuning, intall, and operation.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
Hi Rick,

Ted here from Ted's Cafe Escondido in OKC. I'm sorry to hear about your failure. Man that's a bummer! Are you taking it to Scott at Moore? Or Dumont? Let me know if I can help out in any way.

Ted.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:03 AM
RickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond reputeRickEager has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, the Greddy ProFec B was hooked up properly. I was paranoid when I installed it and checked the hose routing at least 5 times... and pulled everything up on 6speed I could find. There is 2 things that still bug me though. One is that oil leak AFTER the incident. Immediately after the motor died I coasted to the side of the road. A small (50 cent to the size of a soap can lid) of oil was laying on the ground. When I got the car home I checked this out and the leak appeared to have came from somewhere up top near the center and dripped down the right side of the block near the rear, but not much. The second thing that bugs me after thinking about it is the motor shut down just AFTER the tiptronic shifted into the next gear. I could have spiked with too much boost. You know what they say... hide sights always better than 20/20!

Old 11-06-2008, 09:24 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Rick you must be strong man,you are taking this very profesional.No all here in this forum can help,but all of us feel sorry.Some like me need to know what realy happens to avoid be in your situation.I hope you can solve this no in a very expensive way.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
Hi Rick,

Can't respond, turn on your "PM receive box" in the CP or send me your e-mail.

Thanks,
Ted.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:53 AM
Ted
Nevermind

I'll try your login name.

Ted.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996TT catastrophic engine failure...