996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Air fuel Meter/gauge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 08:44 AM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
The brockway back plate was custom made for me by Ma Carbon. I know they made more then one. Check his website, I recall them telling me they were going to offer it sale.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:49 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Old 11-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
We have the successor to the Brockway R920 in the works and they should be arriving in a week or so...Under a private label agreement, SpeedTech has developed the R-9000 Digital Multi-Gauge specifically for the Porsche 996TT. It will have orange LED's to match the OEM interior lighting vs. the standard Brockway green LED's. The face plate lettering has also been made much smaller and very discreet, in order to blend with the interior and not stand out and it is DIN mount, as delivered (it does not require the DIN kit like the 920 did). As a new, added feature, the Automotive Speed Technologies R-9000 will have a 0-60 acceleration function...FYI - The R920 is no longer available and unfortunately the CF plates that McCarbon made will not fit the new layout.

Here is a link to a demo of the new R-9000 - you can see in real time how the dual bank AFR monitoring works, as well as all other modes, including adjustments, trouble code reading and removing (CEL) and the optional shift light:

R-9000 demo video

Web page: R-9000 web page

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 11-05-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Do you need to monitor a/f ratio for both banks, so need two a/f meters. Or, is monitoring the a/f ratio of one bank sufficient?
If you want to monitor your air fuel ratio on both sides, which you should, you will require either two gauges or something with dual bank monitoring. Another option is to install sensors on both sides and toggle between them with a switch to check each side individually with a single gauge device. I like watching both sides simultaneously (as can be seen in the video). When they match each other under all conditions, it reinforces the feeling that everything is running as intended, since it is unlikely both sides would be off the same amount, if something was wrong.

Here is an example of how this helped me recently: I was driving along and all of a sudden the car started running very poorly and my AFR on the left side went very lean. I was afraid to drive the car, but was only a few blocks from a Porsche shop and I drove it in easy. We identified the lean bank and they found a blown 02 sensor. They replaced it and I drove away...It was great feedback to see the troubled side of the motor right away. If you only have one side monitored and the other side goes lean due to a clogged injector, etc. - you would think everything is OK, when it is absolutely not. IMO, dual bank montoring is the best way to go.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 11-05-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Turbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really nice
I have a NGK on my 965 .. Very accurate and easy to read.

Attached Images  
Old 11-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MBailey
I ordered the Durametric program which lets you look at lambdas off the 02 sensors. You can also log a bunch of other data like intake temp, rpm, ect...
Plus you can see over-revs and clear codes.
I don't think the sampling rate at high RPM is adequate to provide meaningful lambda data with the Durametric equipment..

I purchased Zietronix in hopes of providing a way to tell if the engine goes lean under boost but it won't work as I had intended. You can design complex parameters to trigger an audible and visible warning light which is good bc I can't be looking at gauges while I'm zipping along at high speeds on the track.

It allows you to set parameters that would trigger the alarm if the boost goes over 0.9 bar and A/F ratio is above 13 or various other ratios and options. Problem is that when backing off the throttle for a shift there is a split second where the boost is still up but the A/F number gets really high (21) so the alarm becomes meaningless. I gave up and just set the warning to go off with high transaxle temperature.

I do like the Z overall as it allows me to log 5 simultaneous data tracks to a notebook (sans monitor sceen) I have mounted under the passenger seat. I can do hours and hours of logging, if I wish. I can then review it on a pop-up single din touch screen monitor I have in the dash. I can see the true max sustained boost (not the spikes given by gauges) and see A/F at various RPM and boost levels. Good data. I got see that my AF goes to 9.7 at 4.5K RPM and 1.15 bar boost. Gives a new meaniing to the word FAT.

I monitor RPM, boost, A/F. EGT and trans temp. I'm thinking about installing a DPDT automatic interval toggling switch and adding another EGT probe and wide-band O2 sensor so I can get data from both banks. I have yet to research such a switch---it's just an idea at this point.

The new unit John mentioned sounds good also. I haven't reviewed the specs. How much data will it log?

Old 11-05-2008, 09:09 PM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Hey John Unit sounds good!! let me know once its available with the shift light!!

Old 11-05-2008, 09:56 PM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dixie
I have the AEM and the Brockway R920

Hey Dixie do you have more pictures of how you mounted the AEM gauge? It looks really nice in there.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Basic Sponsor
Al,

Our R-9000 does not datalog, it is a real time gauge only. It is easily read at a glance and provides a constant readout of AFR or several other optional parameters such as ECT, IAT, STFT, etc.

I keep mine on bank 1 AFR and bank 2 AFR almost all the time...and glance at it routinely as I drive. I usually check a WOT pull or two each day, as well.

PALETTE,

I'll let you know when they arrive.

2022 Cayenne White

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 11-05-2008 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Thanks John!

Old 11-06-2008, 02:26 AM
dixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to all
Here is a picture how I mounted the AEM gauge
Under the plastic cap (white arrow) it's mounted with 2 screws..
The AEM works great and measures very fast but you need to weld a sensor in the exhaust..

Old 11-20-2008, 10:42 PM
Basic Sponsor
As many viewing this thread requested notice, please be advised our new R-9000 Digital Multi-Gauges with dual bank AFR are in and will begin shipping tomorrow....

Here is a link to a demo video: http://www.speedtechexhausts.com/Speed%20Technologies%20Exhaust-R9000-2008%20V1.wmv

2022 Cayenne White