996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

UMW stage 2A another believer born

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Prche951
amd custom tune that took a few months to get done due to my not being able to take time to test the vehicle often enough.
Prche951 -- What's involved with the custom tuning process?

Old 11-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by microboby

I have talked to Kevin UMW before and would like to go this route for my christmas present if I can make sure those k16/16g work? Also why is the price so much higher from the $3,500 advertised from Vivid or EPL?

Thanks
One has to wonder!
Mike

Old 11-05-2008, 05:46 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Just for clarification, I don't have the ZERO clearance units, and I don't have the new GT2 internals...

Mine's the OLD SCHOOL K16/24s and I hold a solid 1.2bar boost with it in 6th gear as fast as I can go (without going to jail) and in 5th gear to redline with zero issues... The car pulls and makes max boost to redline... I've only been brave enough twice to run 6th deep into the revs (above 6500) and the car made 1.2 bar with zero issues and held it.

Mike
Funny...I have the same as Mike and the thing is just perfect.....

My custom tune required some data logging and some FedExing the ODP module a few times...

Old 11-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Alpha
Prche951 -- What's involved with the custom tuning process?
Ideally, real time adjustment of all tuning parameters while the tuner is in the driver seat on a laptop.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by microboby
Dennis can you elaborate a litle more about your turbos? are they the 16/16g Hybrids that everybody was talking months ago but nobody actually posted real results on them.

I have talked to Kevin UMW before and would like to go this route for my christmas present if I can make sure those k16/16g work? Also why is the price so much higher from the $3,500 advertised from Vivid or EPL?

Thanks

No relation to K16/16g's. These Turbos are a modified K16 hotside(turbine) with the new 997 GT2 compressor, which is capable of easily hitting 1.8 bar and flows much more than a K24. So what you are getting in effect is the quick spool of a K16 with the incredible efficiency of the new GT2 compressor. Basically these turbos are leap years ahead of the 16g's. This is an upgradeable kit so right now, I am using stock fueling, but if I go to the fueling kit and some other goodies I can upgrade this kit to the next level which can produce some more power as seen here. Take a look at the torque at 2000 rpms.

Name:  TorqueHP-1.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  88.3 KB

Old 11-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Seal Grey Matte
Ideally, real time adjustment of all tuning parameters while the tuner is in the driver seat on a laptop.
Nope, I do runs and log many values on Durametrics and send those files to UMW, who inturn modifies the tune program based on the file I sent. Two or three datalogs later and I have my custom tune. I will add again that the tune is based on my specific conditions of Turbos, intake, exhaust, fuel octane level, altitude etc. This is as custom and exact as it gets.

The tune is absolutely the most power and RELIABILITY you can ever get out of your engine for the stage. UMW will not squeeze 10 more hp at the expense of a blown motor.

Talk to Kevin for one hour and you will see that there are few people more knowledgeable than him about tuning, and building turbo porsche motors and turbos.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:27 PM
I want to add that both Wross996tt and Mikelly both have UMW stage2 kits and they have posted their experiences often and both were influential in my picking UMW and Mikelly in particular after watching all the abuse he heaps on his car.

I appreciate their candor in the few discussions I had with them

Old 11-05-2008, 09:21 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
yep...my tune is ...well perfect for me...to go any more I know I need rails and injectors...perhaps later, but for now it's just perfect. (and tuned for altitude).

Old 11-06-2008, 05:34 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I came from another platform where you pulled the car in, put it on the dyno, tuned it there with the multiple runs, and I appreciate the baseline you can get by doing that. However, I believe that when using forced induction, you lose a whole lot of that ability, due in no small part to the lack of airflow required to reproduce the actual performance environment a twin turbo experiences when driven on the street.

If I were around the corner from Kevin, We could do exactly what Tony does and EPL. However, data logging and sending the files to Kevin for tweeks really isn't that big a deal... What's funny is I've data logged a bunch, and never sent anything back to Kevin. No need. The numbers looked good to me, and the car, well just hunt down Chris (Sean 996) and ask him about his drive.

Mike

Old 11-06-2008, 09:57 AM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
I recently installed the UMW 2c setup, its basically a set of custom zero clearanced K24/26's with larger GT2 based compressors and wastegates, the modified fueling system has larger injectors, fpr, new fuel filter with braided hose, I also did the RS mounts while I was there. In all honesty, my setup is very detuned so I wont grenade my internals, Kevin claims 600whp, I think with internals probably in excess of 8-900whp but I'll leave that to Kevin's marketing dept. The 2b (k16's) and 2c (k24's) are modular and easily upgradable to levels 3 and 4.

I had blown a previous set of turbos due to a broken wastegate and improper programming (I'm giving the previous tuner the chance to make right so I wont name names). If you are at sea level I dont think the programming is a big deal, but at altitude- good code is everything.

There are several reasons I went with UMW- first is ability to do true custom tuning, Kevin sends a file, you do some runs with a data logger, email the logs and he makes adjustments and sends a new file, repeating the process until you are tuned for your application and environment. Technically you can get a new tune within minutes of sending logs, but in the real world it takes time to analyze and make changes. No one that I know offers this- my turbo is at 6000'+ and especially after my last experience, this is paramount. The tuning is truly phenominal, my car runs smoother than it ever has, lots of torque under the curve and no end of power throughout the rpms.

Another reason is, and you wont value this until you have a catastrophic failure, with UMW, everything is under one roof; turbos, code, intake, wastegates etc...all umw, so no calling various vendors to get support when things go wrong.

The last reason is performance, bottom line I will stomp just about any turbo with stock internals on pump gas, a ballsy claim no doubt, but you're welcome to come on up ;-)

However...having the best comes at a price- it's not cheap, Kevin takes his time and is methodical- you will not get your package next week, it will take some time and can be a test of your patience, but rest assured you will have the best.

Btw, I personally know wross996tt, prche951 and have talked with mikelly, their experiences were influential in my rebuild.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:58 PM
ZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond repute
No relation to K16/16g's. These Turbos are a modified K16 hotside(turbine) with the new 997 GT2 compressor, which is capable of easily hitting 1.8 bar and flows much more than a K24. So what you are getting in effect is the quick spool of a K16 with the incredible efficiency of the new GT2 compressor. Basically these turbos are leap years ahead of the 16g's. This is an upgradeable kit so right now, I am using stock fueling, but if I go to the fueling kit and some other goodies I can upgrade this kit to the next level which can produce some more power as seen here. Take a look at the torque at 2000 rpms.

Wow! Is this 640hp to the wheels? What kind of mods are on this setup?

Old 11-06-2008, 01:55 PM
this dyno is to the wheels and it is stage3a

I have Stage 2A

D33Pblue has the next step up(2b or 2c) and
the dyno you see is stage 3a,
the next stage up from this involves full engine rebuild and is stage 4.

What you see above is at the limits for stock internals. And I would say that the stage 2b and 2c kits are probably pushing close to the limits for stock internals.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:24 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
And I would say that the stage 2b and 2c kits are probably pushing close to the limits for stock internals.
What makes you say this? How much wheel HP is the 2a, b, and c making? Not trying to be a pest, just would like to know. Thanks.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by TXGold
What makes you say this? How much wheel HP is the 2a, b, and c making? Not trying to be a pest, just would like to know. Thanks.
I have been told by several people that 600-650 reliable whp is pretty close to the limit for internals. There turbos get up there and also produce considerably more torque than comparable hp kits.

Kit 2a is not approaching limits, but 2b abd 2c both hit 600 whp and boatloads of torque. The next kit, 3a, 3b is at the limit.

considering all the blown motors you see around here this should make sense.

making hp is not so hard, making it reliable is a whole different story.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:10 PM
ZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond repute
I have been told by several people that 600-650 reliable whp is pretty close to the limit for internals. There turbos get up there and also produce considerably more torque than comparable hp kits.

Kit 2a is not approaching limits, but 2b abd 2c both hit 600 whp and boatloads of torque. The next kit, 3a, 3b is at the limit.

considering all the blown motors you see around here this should make sense.

making hp is not so hard, making it reliable is a whole different story.

I went to UMW's website but it didn't really described on what's included or pricing of the 2b, 2c, 3a, and 3b. What's included in the 3a and 3b kits?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: UMW stage 2A another believer born