996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Wet weather tires......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 06:55 PM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
Wet weather tires......

Any recommendations from wet driving experience?

I have ps2's on most of my cars but am in need for a 996tt set -315/25 and 235 35 19. It looks like they are $1829(tire rack) for the set
Rarely will I encounter frozen roads, just wet. And even if I dont drive in the rain, many of the canyons will stay wet all winter, even on sunny days. So no suprises and must be close to the ps'2 in wet weather grip.
thanks.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:15 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
nitto n-1's or toyo R888's both keep at full tread. but if temps are near freezing cant go with R compound tires.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:39 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I have found the sumitomo's htr zIII (the current top of the line one) to be quite an eye opener....225 and 295 only, no, not as good as a ps2 perhaps BUT I am not sure to be honest....600 total for all 4 tires though...tirerack. Call damian... I had PS2's. These seem equal.

I have had them for 3000 miles now, no issues. In deluges...fine. But, not in canyons wet going super fast either. Nothing will be as good in the wet as in the dry...

JB

Old 11-08-2008, 08:55 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
I have found the sumitomo's htr zIII (the current top of the line one) to be quite an eye opener....225 and 295 only, no, not as good as a ps2 perhaps BUT I am not sure to be honest....600 total for all 4 tires though...tirerack. Call damian... I had PS2's. These seem equal.

I have had them for 3000 miles now, no issues. In deluges...fine. But, not in canyons wet going super fast either. Nothing will be as good in the wet as in the dry...

JB
Those are the 18" sizing, he needs 19. Unfortunately, Sumitomo isn't offering a 19" combo that works. Hoefully in the spring.

PS2's have always been excellent picks and in the sizing are still king. If you want almost all of the performance at a better price, try the Continental Sport Contact 3 at $259 and $419.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....SportContact+3

Call me if I can help or order through the banner bar.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 11-08-2008, 10:16 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Oops...sorry. But, thank you for the update on the possible 19" Sumi's. Should make live more affordable for a few people.

Anyway, I am happy in my smaller wheel tire...so the bigger wheel units should be good too.

JB

Old 11-08-2008, 11:20 PM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
Those are the 18" sizing, he needs 19. Unfortunately, Sumitomo isn't offering a 19" combo that works. Hoefully in the spring.

PS2's have always been excellent picks and in the sizing are still king. If you want almost all of the performance at a better price, try the Continental Sport Contact 3 at $259 and $419.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiSpor tContact+3

Call me if I can help or order through the banner bar.
Damon, thanks for the suggestion. I had thought about those but when trying to compare to the Mich.'s on your site there were no test results. Do you know when the tests will be updated to provide comparison data?