996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

On the GT2 and handling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 04:09 PM
racer63 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by watt
everyone look inside yourselves, and admit you don't have the experience or knowledge in this area [otherwise i would have met you at the finish line in nevada, huh], and support me in trying to develop the knowledge.
OK. I'll fess up. I have no clue. I could assist with road racing setup, but this is a whole different ball game. And, unfortunately, I don't even know anyone that could assist in this gig... other than... what was that guys name that ran the 69 Camaro at 200+ mph speeds in open road races. He also ran trans am for some time. The name is on the tip of my tongue, but I can't get it out. While he may have no Porsche specific experience, perhaps open road racing experience is more important.

Another thought, Erik Messley at EMI Racing in Huntington Beach is really, really good with suspension setup. Last I heard he was working on GTS Vipers, but he may also have open road event experience.

Last edited by racer63; 09-10-2003 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:47 PM
watt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to behold
i think you're thinking of todd carpenter. he, dave golder, carl young and roland cfr ruf racer are the 200+ open road scions. an amazing bunch of highly skilled guys: imagine averaging 198 for 100 miles on a nice curvy, bumpy rutted two lane!!! they obsess over safety in increments and minimize probabilties of error, but tyres still blow, etc.

we have the plan to get me dialed in, we're close already. thank you cfr and carl.

Old 09-10-2003, 08:21 PM
Ruf-Racer has a spectacular aura aboutRuf-Racer has a spectacular aura aboutRuf-Racer has a spectacular aura about
Set up-high speed ORR

Racer 63: Gottlieb ran the camero know as "Big Red", a tube framed car powered by a 540" Donovan. I believe the driver was 19 when he did the deed. Today there are many cars that go 200+ on the roads of Nevada. The old Home Depot #20 car runs in the 235 mph area on the long straights.

Watt: The Ruf car is setup totally neutral and is stable to the max at speeds well over 200 mph for up to fourteen miles at a clip on certain roads. I now use Hergie in Lake Forrest and always request a log of the "was" condition. Hergie will then adjust to my written specifications if required. The only minor issue I have with the process you have been going thru is the failure to log what "was" before the first tweak at Andial.

Tyson: You are correct, my set up is not the best for the canyons or track BUT I can live with it! My friend Carl ran the Virginia City Hill Climb for many years. His 993TT was always radically tweaked for the event and then set up more or less neutral for open road events. Same comment for Steve Beddor and his record holding Ruf CTR2. You can bet a bunch Steve sets up way differently for the hill climbs! If I spent a lot of time in the canyons or ran more track events I would go to Alcaron or Tony or Hergie and try what they say is the right starting point for that particular purpose!

R

PS to Watt. I did not notice the slightest hint of improper setup when I rode with you to victory in your first ORR event! Good job!

Old 09-10-2003, 10:07 PM
MKW
MKW is infamous around these parts
I was at my alignment shop yesterday talking cars and Joe mentioned that they set up a modded C5 Corvette that was supposedly the first street legal car to win the Silver State in many years at 192 mph. Car can hit near 210 at sea level. I don't follow these races so I don't know if any of this is accurate . Anyway, they worked hard to get the settings right as that car has no wings and stock bodywork and is squirrly at stock settings. Custom Alignment in Mtn View.

Last edited by MKW; 09-10-2003 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:19 PM
Re: Set up-high speed ORR

Originally posted by Ruf-Racer
Racer 63: Gottlieb ran the camero know as "Big Red", a tube framed car powered by a 540" Donovan. I believe the driver was 19 when he did the deed.
Yep, that was him, Gottlieb (R.J. I think was his first name).

Man you guys sound like you have fun out there. I've got to get the Bimmer to one of these races this Fall or Spring. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the cooling system woes are solved. Will find out at the NASA race at the end of this month.

Old 09-11-2003, 07:31 AM
watt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to beholdwatt is a splendid one to behold
racer

nothing wrong with bringing your TT either! hamman's going to bring his!!! 10 porsches already signed up for the race on 318 on 9/21/3...

Old 09-11-2003, 07:37 AM
ruf racer,

yes you are right, i believe that simple step [checking before andial] might have saved alot of piddling around, and perhaps the trip to the inaccurate past at andial.

thanks for all your help. hope you can make sunday at ventura

Old 09-11-2003, 09:07 AM
billhart is infamous around these parts
Watt: pray, tell where does one run at high speed for such lengths of time on open roads? Also, don't you have issues with tires given the constant heat for long duration? Not busting your chops, buddy, just curious....

Old 09-11-2003, 09:25 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
billhart,

obviously you have never been to Nevada-- the last of the truly free states. state sanctioned open road racing... legalized gambling, prostitution, smoking, drinking at all hours, right to bear arms, low taxes... gotta love it!

i brought up the tire issue with him as well, it's something we're looking into.

Old 09-11-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by watt
racer

nothing wrong with bringing your TT either! hamman's going to bring his!!! 10 porsches already signed up for the race on 318 on 9/21/3...
Thanks for the invite (re the TT), but with a two year old to worry about, I don't like the idea of running at high speeds for extended periods of time in a car without a cage, race belts, fire system, etc.

Old 09-11-2003, 10:05 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
racer63, you can just run the 124mph class. A lot of people do that speed on the freeway anyway.

If you had a cage, race belt, fire suppression system, and a fuel cell, you could run the unlimited class!

Old 09-11-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Hamann7
racer63, you can just run the 124mph class. A lot of people do that speed on the freeway anyway.

If you had a cage, race belt, fire suppression system, and a fuel cell, you could run the unlimited class!
I know I could. But, something about being a parent has made me do strange things. Like buy/wear a HANS device, avoid high speed without safety gear, etc. I even drive close enough to the speed limit that I don't need lidatek or valentine when my son is in the car.

Maybe my body is being taken over by the ghost of Ralph Nader or something... Wait, he's not dead yet... Well, must be the ghost of some other safety **** who's recently deceased.

Besides, the M3 cooling system should be solved and tested by the end of Sept. Then it will be ready to go for the next Nevada event.

P.S. Did you guys ever see that crazy "NSX Files" video. The only part that I really liked was the Virginia City hill climb part. Especially the commical portion about the "Ultima GT which, I think, was driven by Darren Law on that infamous day.

Last edited by racer63; 09-11-2003 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:30 AM
billhart,

glad to see you over here. try openroadracing.com and read the safety rules.

search the TT and gt2 site for Elko, road racing and nevada at the place you just left, and you'll find alot of previous discussion.

the net of it is the level of focus on saftey is very high, and even with new tyres, filled with nitrogen with temp and pressure monitors, most accidents at high speed - thats over 175 -- are tyre failure related. the safety risks decline almost exponentially from 200 mph to 100 mph. my personal cutoff is 165 mph, both in risk and to run above you need a dedicated car with fuel cell, IRC etc.

tyre temps are an issue and are checked on every finisher no matter the speed class. roland is the expert on these matters.

you could ship a car to Elko for the summer next and come run with us. we can find you safe secure storage in Elko and helpful local do-ers so you could just fly in. [and i was fascinated with your comparitive analysis of your ferraris with your gt2.]

Old 09-11-2003, 11:16 AM
996twin is infamous around these parts
What happen to my original posts where I sent links for those two articles, one at tiscoli.uk? The URL's described the handling of the GT2. It looks like that thread was deleted? If so, why?

Old 09-11-2003, 12:59 PM
996twin,

i have no idea but i sure would appreciate if you would publish the links again, i would like to read the articles thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: On the GT2 and handling