996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

PROTOMOTIVE k24/20G'S ON AND RUNNING STRONG!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 10:02 PM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
PROTOMOTIVE k24/20G'S ON AND RUNNING STRONG!

FIRST THOUGHTS

PROTOMOTIVE ROCKS!!!! I CAN NOT PUT INTO WORDS HOW FAST THIS THING IS.. ITS CRAZY!!!

stickers that should have been included

***WARNING POINT VEHICLE IN A STRAIGHT LINE BEFORE STANDING ON GAS ***

or

***WARNING USE OF THIS PRODUCT MAY CAUSE NAUSIA, TUNNEL VISION, COLD SWEATS,GOOSE BUMPS,FOUR LETTER EXPLENATIVES***

SOME OF THE DETAILS

so after getting back from SEMA i had time to take her out today only for about 45 min i was out of gas and when i finally got more gas and it started to rain so no 60-130 times yet...well as most of you know i tried the 20gs with the stock intake and they did not work to well they choked and would not produce boost...

with the Protomotive intake installed that is not the case now the boost comes on very smooth starts to build almost immediatly (2000 rpms) and i reach full boost 1.3 bar around (3500rpm) and it holds all the way to redline(7000 rpm) the boost does not taper like it did with the 18g's
i cannot be happier here are some of the things i noticed on my inital test

hardly any lag
i do not get a surge very nice power curve
throttle response is lightning fast
no boost taper on top
the noise it makes is absolutly amazing!!

INSTALL DETAILS

ok so here are some pics and thoughts on the install on the protomotive air intake with the blowthru type of maf sensor

first off i did this in my garage on jack stands with basic hand tools the only special tool i had to get was a 2.5 inch hole saw...

the only fabrication i had to do is cut a hole in the fender liner and some clearance on the intercooler bracket and cut some clearance up by the oil filter for the maf which i did with a hack saw.... the install also requires removal of the top schroud of the intercooler ducting and i had to fab an air diverter which i made out of 1/8 inch styrene you can see it in the pic behind the intercooler also in the pic you can see the clamp i used to hold the intake tubing in place (some people weld this) then last off remove the engine bay fan ..

total time for turbo swap,new sparkplugs and proto air intake: 17 hours

the only mistake i made was listening to my xm radio while installing so i did not disconnect the battery... so when i was messing with the maf wiring i shorted out the computer( luckly i have a friend with a steady hand and he was able to jump the short in the ecu and fix it)

i would like to give a shout out to Protomotive and Todd Knighton for putting out a great custom built product and to my buddy Brady for giving me a latenight hand!!

if you can do a turbo swap you can do this install!!

Attached Images      
Old 11-07-2008, 10:10 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
Good Job! Todd's product is great stuff , Its rewarding when you do something your self, thanks for pics and quick write up.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:55 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Congrats, man! I'm looking forward to hearing more.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:03 PM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
Wow Congrats!

Thumbs up, for installing it yourself Tim!

Old 11-07-2008, 11:35 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
We need some 1/4 mile runs now.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:03 AM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
Very nice, I'm looking forward to hearing more!

BTW, you're giving me bad ideas.....lol.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:12 AM
Speedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud ofSpeedy996tt has much to be proud of
do you have a stock motor?

Old 11-08-2008, 02:21 AM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats on the new setup! Can't wait to hear more of your driving impressions and see the 60-130 times!

Sorry to hear about your ECU mishap, I had a similar thing happen, wish I would have know it was a simple fix like I thought it would be.

Are you running 1.3 on pump or race gas?

Last edited by dgreen78; 11-08-2008 at 02:24 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:23 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Damn...Chalk one up for the garage guys. It's really a different experience/appreciation when you do it yourself. Nice job! Enjoy.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:59 AM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Tim,

Great news! Congratulations, I'm glad to hear of the positive results.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:37 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I have been telling guys about 20gs a longtime... congrats - you will love it.

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 11-08-2008, 04:27 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
What about the headers, lol...Congrats Tim.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:58 AM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
wow Looks Great!! and thumbs up for doing it yourself!!
Cant wait to hear your reviews. Did you do the fuel system yet?

Old 11-08-2008, 08:33 AM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks guys it was a lot of fun!!

here aree the answers to your questions:

speedy:
no i do not have a stock motor i have pauter rods, apr head studs and bigger fule injectors

dgreen:
pmed you on the ecu.. running sunoco gt+ 104 octane

jitsu
sold the headers bought the intake

palette
65lb injectors installed... afr's are great high 11's at wot

tim

Old 11-08-2008, 08:36 AM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Congrats Tim! Time for warp speed. Look forward to hearing more. Thanks for the write up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PROTOMOTIVE k24/20G'S ON AND RUNNING STRONG!