996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Front lower control arms (GT3) - parts needed...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 04:18 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Dan... do you do the GMG A-Arm Solid Monoball Kit also?

Old 11-12-2008, 04:37 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
>So, to understand correctly, would I need to _reduce_ caster, if rubbing >the front fender liner?

Yes

>Does increasing camber, (with the control arm shims), cause caster to
>increase too much - hence the need to readjust?

No. It changes the track, which causes the rub, that can only be alleviated by reducing caster.

>Does the offset hole in the standard thrust bushing (pic below) not allow
>enough adjustment, through rotation of the bushing?

Correct, it does not. In my car, I didn't get the different bushing, and we moved the radiator brackets forward instead. I think the modified bushing is a better solution.

>The 2nd photo shows an ERP bushing that has 3 holes in it. Is it the
>increased offset of the hole that makes more adjustment possible?

Yes

Hope that helps.

Jon

Old 11-12-2008, 07:25 PM
itacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the rough
Fast Fwd, thanks for the answers! I actually already have my radiators moved forward (to clear GT-2 offset wheels), but another track change will reduce clearnace again. Ideally, I'd keep as much positive caster as is possible. I guess I'll have to wait and see how much clearance there is!

Old 11-13-2008, 05:46 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by itacud
Fast Fwd, thanks for the answers! I actually already have my radiators moved forward (to clear GT-2 offset wheels), but another track change will reduce clearnace again. Ideally, I'd keep as much positive caster as is possible. I guess I'll have to wait and see how much clearance there is!
Good luck! I have a great indy who is really good at this kind of stuff. I left him the car, left the country for two weeks, and he figured out what to do and how to do it.

Jon

Old 11-13-2008, 11:51 AM
itacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the rough
That's a nice treat to come back into the country too!

I'm going to follow Mike's, Oak's and your advice, and get something to help with the caster adjustment. Hopefully the wheels will fit w/o too much caster loss! Thanks again.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
itacud - you will see your parts tomorrow! Thank you.

Steve - I carry anything from GMG

Old 11-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Excellent!! Install scheduled!!

Originally Posted by vividracing
itacud - you will see your parts tomorrow! Thank you.

Steve - I carry anything from GMG

Old 11-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Does anyone know how many of these discs are used to replace the original mount in each control arm? Is it 2 per control arm? Thanks!

Originally Posted by vividracing

Old 11-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
2 per arm!

Mike

Old 11-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Excellent! Thanks.

Would any of you who are running 2 more more deg of negative front camber, be able to share your front camber, caster, ride-height, and wheel size/offset specs? I'm trying to put together an idea of what people are squeezing into the front.

Thanks again to everyone for their input!

Old 06-22-2010, 04:32 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
gt3 lower arms require adjustable thrust bushing to fit?

Originally Posted by FAST FWD
>So, to understand correctly, would I need to _reduce_ caster, if rubbing >the front fender liner?

Yes

>Does increasing camber, (with the control arm shims), cause caster to
>increase too much - hence the need to readjust?

No. It changes the track, which causes the rub, that can only be alleviated by reducing caster.

>Does the offset hole in the standard thrust bushing (pic below) not allow
>enough adjustment, through rotation of the bushing?

Correct, it does not. In my car, I didn't get the different bushing, and we moved the radiator brackets forward instead. I think the modified bushing is a better solution.

>The 2nd photo shows an ERP bushing that has 3 holes in it. Is it the
>increased offset of the hole that makes more adjustment possible?

Yes

Hope that helps.

Jon
digging up an old post.

Thought the gt3 lower arm was essentially the same shape and fixture positions to those on the standard lower arm with a 2pc construction to allow for camber shims. However, upon closer inspection it appears to have 2 settings for caster that the standard arm does not have. Which one is the "right" one to use ... or neither?

Have ordered the gt3 adjustable lower arms, searching for shim/camber info came across the caster issue. Can some one please confirm whether adjustable thrust bushes are required in all cases versus ie in cases of wider wheels/tires, lower than avg ride height, high camber etc? thank you.

Last edited by Mad Ness; 06-22-2010 at 04:38 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:34 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
At present I am on stock wheels and tires and have caster at over 9 degrees because of all the other aftermarket suspension components. I have no rubbing at the front but steering feels heavier because of the increased caster. Next week my car is going in the shop to have the thrust bushings put in because I will be going to the wider tires. If you are on stock wheels and tires you should not have any rubbing but, since you have to pull the suspension apart anyway, I suggest you put in the thrust bushing so you won't have to in the future if you want to change tires and wheels.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:55 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
hi larry. thanks for reply. yes agreed, makes sense to do all at once if it's something required for the wider set up. Thing is the gt3 lower arms appear to have 2 holes for caster versus stock 1 hole. GT3 cup arms have 3 holes similar to many of the several aftermarket adjustable bush kits. Looking at the photos, gt3 standard arms appear to allow for caster adjustment over and above stock (not sure +/- adjustments). Just want to confirm whether it is enough to provision for wheel clearance? If not, guess I'll have to go get the adjustables. (have a set of non-adjustable hard bushings already as well.)

GT3 cup

GT3 standard

Standard

currently using HRE P43's 19inch lead weights, 8.5/11 wide standard WB fit. 235/295 tires. No rubbing but not flush either. Not sure how far from stock this may be. Looking to go with 9/12 wide, but undecided on tire choice. considering either CW C10's or GMG's new WC-GT wheels.

Sorry for noob questions. not to good at this yet... Got the mode perch camber plates. If use this instead of lower arms to adjust camber, track isn't widened. Would this be one way to "steer" clear of rubbing issues?

saw GMG makes an adjustable caster arm but can't find it listed on the website. May be its just for the gt2. Wonder whether this part functions similar to the thrust bushing?

Old 06-22-2010, 11:06 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
The GT3 Cup arms you show look like they already have the thrust bushings installed. I can't give you informed answers about the other two, sorry. I believe the the adjustable caster arm you are talking about is like this Tarret unit. Look on the Tarret website under 996-997 parts.

Name:  thrust%20arm%20l.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  22.1 KB

Old 06-22-2010, 11:30 PM
yes thats a photo of a "cup" arm, which i think come standard with adjustable hard thrust bushings. i've got the standard gt3 one.

just checked the tarrett website. yes that's the part. but still not sure if this part alone is enough to adjust the caster as much as adjustable thrust bushings would. I would think so... will keep digging. thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front lower control arms (GT3) - parts needed...