996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Front lower control arms (GT3) - parts needed...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 03:10 PM
itacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the rough
Front lower control arms (GT3) - parts needed...

I know a number of you guys have gone through this, so I just wanted to double check what additional parts would be needed to install GT3 lower control arms in front, on an AWD car... (Not sure if anything differs from the 2 wheel drives).

Are new diagonal wishbones need, in addition to the GT3 2-piece control arms, or are the control arms enough? Can the rubber bushing be kept, and castor correctly set?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Old 11-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Got them - http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/p...5-p-53117.html

Control Arms give your 996TT better handling and a tighter, smoother ride. These OEM Control Arms include (OEM part nubmers) 99634112190, 99634112290, and 99634144190.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I recommend buying the adjustable thrust bushings so you can properly set the caster as well.

You'll also need to drill a small hole to mount the yaw sensor for the PSM.

Mike

Old 11-11-2008, 11:18 AM
itacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the rough
Thanks guys for your responses. Mike, I also found out that Porsche sells a special 1mm shim, that has a mount for the level sensor to attach to. I might look into that too. Thanks again.

Dan, PM sent.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:31 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
there are actually two different parts for the shims. One is a small and one is larger (and also really expensive for some reason)....

Old 11-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Going to check the PM now. Thank you!

Old 11-11-2008, 11:41 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
I have a set of ERP brand new upper tie rod arms to adjust for bump. If interesed.

You will need more than the 1mm spacer, I think I have 3 shim I think around 10-13mm total for around -2.68.

also, get the bushings, or your caster will be too far forward.

Last edited by oak; 11-11-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by sharkster
there are actually two different parts for the shims. One is a small and one is larger (and also really expensive for some reason)....
Hi Sharkster. Could you please explain a little more about the shims? Are you referring to the normal spacing shims, or the special one to mount the sensor?

I'm a little confused as to what's actually needed , to mount the level sensor (without the mod that Mike suggests). Thanks!

Old 11-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by oak
I have a set of ERP brand new upper tie rod arms to adjust for bump. If interesed.

You will need more than the 1mm spacer, I think I have 3 shim I think around 10-13mm total for around -2.68.

also, get the bushings, or your caster will be too far forward.
Oak, I'm interested in the tie rods!

Do you know if the offset hole in the bushing that comes with the gt3 control arms can be used to tweak caster? Does having more (positive) castor help clearance with the front fender when steering is turned to full lock? Thanks again!

Old 11-12-2008, 09:06 AM
Former Vendor
itacud - let me know if you still want to order those.

Dan

Old 11-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Dan, Yes! Was hunting for more part numbers. I'll call you.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Former Vendor
Thanks for the call. ON IT!

Old 11-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
You really need the adjustable thrust bushings so you can "clock" the mounts to adjust so the tires do not rub against the fender liner up front. You also don't want to much positive caster. It's like everything else... Balance.

Mike

Originally Posted by itacud
Oak, I'm interested in the tie rods!

Do you know if the offset hole in the bushing that comes with the gt3 control arms can be used to tweak caster? Does having more (positive) castor help clearance with the front fender when steering is turned to full lock? Thanks again!

Old 11-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Former Vendor
Old 11-12-2008, 04:18 PM
So, to understand correctly, would I need to _reduce_ caster, if rubbing the front fender liner? Does increasing camber, (with the control arm shims), cause caster to increase too much - hence the need to readjust?

Does the offset hole in the standard thrust bushing (pic below) not allow enough adjustment, through rotation of the bushing?

The 2nd photo shows an ERP bushing that has 3 holes in it. Is it the increased offset of the hole that makes more adjustment possible?

Thanks again to everyone for their help!

Attached Images   

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front lower control arms (GT3) - parts needed...