996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

TRG corner balance and aggressive street alignment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 04:51 PM
ZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond repute
TRG corner balance and aggressive street alignment

My current suspension setup until a few days ago was set to GT2 factory specifications. It was praised by members on this board but ever since it was aligned to GT2 specs, twice, at Carlsen Porsche it always felt more "twitchy" at triple digit speeds and nervous at high speed corners compared to stock. Which cause the PSM to constantly flash during spirited driving in "Mexican roads". I asked members on this board on any suspension spec advice but never received a response.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ent-specs.html

So I asked our friends at The Racers Group, TRG, in Petaluma California to provide me an aggressive street setup with corner balancing service. I've read over the past months with other members experiencing the same issues as me so I wanted to share the information rather than keep it to myself though the service wasn't neccessarily cheap. The suspension on my TT is very adjustable which includes the following:

JIC 8/12kg coil-over setup
TRG, heim-joint, rear toe link control
TRG, heim-joint, front bar sway link
AP, heim-joint, adjustable upper link dogbones
AP, heim-joint, rear bar sway link
H&R rear adjustable anti-roll bar

Tires:
315-25-19 in rear
235-30-19 in front

The results are the following:

Front to rear distribution (with 3/4 full of gas, no spare or tools, 200lbs driver simulated weight):

37.38% front
62.61% rear

Cross-balance:

Front-left (drivers side) to Rear-right (passenger side): 49.74%
Front-right (passenger side) to Rear-left (drivers side): 50.25%

Weight distribution:

Front-left (drivers side) weight: 670lbs
Front-right (passenger side) weight: 664lbs
Rear-left (drivers side) weight: 1129lbs
Rear-right (passenger side): 1105lbs
Total weight: 3568lbs

Camber/Toe:

Front camber: -1.5 degrees (both driver and passenger side)
Front Toe: 0 degrees

Rear camber: -2.0 degrees (both driver and passenger side)
Rear Toe: -2.0 degrees (both driver and passenger side)

They also reduced the ride-height front and rear, more so on the front (about 0.50"). Basically more rake to the front. See before after right height picts:

Before:

After:

The results were amazing. High speed lane changes, directional stability, balance, and handling is night and day difference! Suffice it to say...it was money well-worth spent! Ask for Peter Thomas if you want to have TRG do some suspension work on your Porsche. ;-)

Last edited by ZIP22; 11-14-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:51 PM
ZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond reputeZIP22 has a reputation beyond repute
misc picts:

mini-me version of the TRG/Monster Lemans winning car...

Last edited by ZIP22; 11-14-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:56 PM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
Height front and rear how did they leave it???? Nos please, Is it night and day now from before?
Stiffness front and rear???

Last edited by contigo; 11-13-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Jorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant future
Looks good.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Nice control arms! That car sits pretty!!!!

Old 11-13-2008, 07:32 PM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
Nice wastegates...

Old 11-13-2008, 07:49 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
Wow, your car sits much more aggressive and the facility is amazing. Those guys work on some serious cars.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:52 PM
Acropora has a spectacular aura aboutAcropora has a spectacular aura about
Decent setup! I thought rear camber was alway supposed to be less than the front but apparently not.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:39 PM
supremedk is infamous around these parts
Zip22,
The car looks good!! Your alignment specs are very close to what we run on the Rolex and Koni cars( i am #1 mechanic on the #41 GS car pictured as well as mechanic on #65 GT car). Did Peter mention going to adjustable drop links on the rear bar?? A corner balance will most likely leave your car at slightly different heights on the corners which will create pre-load on the bar, which you can remove with adj. links.

Thx for the post, Not too many ppl know that TRG does street cars, and they cater to the guys who want a balanced package. I spent the last 10 days there working on the race cars, too bad i left Sunday, would have been great to meet someone from the site!!

Enjoy the car!! Derek K

Last edited by supremedk; 11-13-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:35 AM
Originally Posted by supremedk
Zip22,
The car looks good!! Your alignment specs are very close to what we run on the Rolex and Koni cars( i am #1 mechanic on the #41 GS car pictured as well as mechanic on #65 GT car). Did Peter mention going to adjustable drop links on the rear bar?? A corner balance will most likely leave your car at slightly different heights on the corners which will create pre-load on the bar, which you can remove with adj. links.

Thx for the post, Not too many ppl know that TRG does street cars, and they cater to the guys who want a balanced package. I spent the last 10 days there working on the race cars, too bad i left Sunday, would have been great to meet someone from the site!!

Enjoy the car!! Derek K

Thanks for the advice Derek! I'll ask Peter tomorrow about getting the TRG adjustable rear links to take off any pre-load on the rear bar.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:37 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Just wanted to share my GT2 alignment specs and see how they compared to yours???

Old 11-14-2008, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by vividracing
Just wanted to share my GT2 alignment specs and see how they compared to yours???

Yeh...those specs are basically what I was running with and it didn't feel as stable or tossable for the suspension/wheel/tire mods I had. The threshold point for the rear tires powering out of and into a corner is now very progressive with less snap "pendulum" oversteer. The TRG alignment did the trick. With the increased toe in the rear I'll check periodically for any increased tire wear. But so far I'm very satisfied!

Last edited by ZIP22; 11-14-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
I'm surprised that A. you're running your cup cars with more neg in front than rear and B. that the numbers are so low. I thought that with roll being greater in front than rear the camber was always more negative in front for a better patch in the corners. Please educate me. Thanks

Zip22,

Enjoy the car!! Derek K

Old 11-14-2008, 03:14 PM
supremedk is infamous around these parts
AL, I , I should have specified that when i said alignment specs i meant toe settings only. You are correct, we run quite a bit more neg camber all around, on the Rolex and Koni cars, with the front usually having more neg.

The camber settings will very rarely match side to side, as you are trying to make the most out of layout of the course. More left turns usually means more neg. camber on the right side of the car.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Oh good. Exactly as I have learned it. No paradigm shift necessary.

AL, I , I should have specified that when i said alignment specs i meant toe settings only. You are correct, we run quite a bit more neg camber all around, on the Rolex and Koni cars, with the front usually having more neg.

The camber settings will very rarely match side to side, as you are trying to make the most out of layout of the course. More left turns usually means more neg. camber on the right side of the car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TRG corner balance and aggressive street alignment