996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

straight pipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 07:52 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
if you think that a turbo with pipes is too loud, then you have never heard an NA car with straight pipes

The turbos do a lot to quiet the car down. It really is not that bad. Cold startup is loudest, but once the car settles down, it is not bad at all. American muscle cars are much louder with mufflers and headers. So it is all a matter of perspective.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:38 AM
Y65MPH is infamous around these partsY65MPH is infamous around these parts
I run the fabspeed straight pipes with 100 cell cats. As everyone stated, cold start up is ugly but once warm it sounds stock at idle. The spool up is very fast and I don't mind the sound. Drone is brutal in 6th at lower highway speed (65-75). The nice thing about the fadspeed setup is being able to change from straight to muffled in about 15 minutes with the V bands.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:30 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
if you think that a turbo with pipes is too loud, then you have never heard an NA car with straight pipes

The turbos do a lot to quiet the car down. It really is not that bad. Cold startup is loudest, but once the car settles down, it is not bad at all. American muscle cars are much louder with mufflers and headers. So it is all a matter of perspective.

this is VERY true. the cars I run with with straight pipes, 997s GT3 and Cups are so loud I cant even hear my car to shift!!!

Old 11-21-2008, 09:38 AM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Loud is an understatement.. I lost great throttle response and down low torque, after 2 days, I dreaded getting into the car, obnoxious is an UNDERSTATEMENT as it's worse.. People asked wtf was wrong with my car, they don't even sound good!
I've never heard someone speak so harshly about them... I suppose it really is a matter of perspective.

straight pipes on the N/A cars really IS way too much, but with the turbos in the exhaust route I never really minded it much... I'd agree with Tom and suggest you rethink it until you try it yourself.

The best option is the Fabspeed mufflers with the quick release v-clamps... You can swap out from mufflers to bypasses with two bolts. This is the system I'm running and we throw the Bypasses on for events.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:49 AM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iJeremy
I've never heard someone speak so harshly about them... I suppose it really is a matter of perspective.

straight pipes on the N/A cars really IS way too much, but with the turbos in the exhaust route I never really minded it much... I'd agree with Tom and suggest you rethink it until you try it yourself.

The best option is the Fabspeed mufflers with the quick release v-clamps... You can swap out from mufflers to bypasses with two bolts. This is the system I'm running and we throw the Bypasses on for events.

Cool! I'll look into the Vclamps you guys are talking about... anyone have one in OC? I would like to hear it before buying if possible...

Old 11-21-2008, 11:07 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !

To be honest, my turbo with k16's was louder then a GT3 with muffler bypass and no cats, trust me we were all shocked at the shop..

I had the FVD pipes bolted off the turbo, straight back, maybe it was just my setup?! WHo knows!

I have had some LOUD cars, open wastegate straight through exhaust setup, straight through race exhaust on my M3 which was INSANE, etc.. I never hated those like I did the 996TT setup!

Old 11-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
To be honest, my turbo with k16's was louder then a GT3 with muffler bypass and no cats, trust me we were all shocked at the shop..

I had the FVD pipes bolted off the turbo, straight back, maybe it was just my setup?! WHo knows!

I have had some LOUD cars, open wastegate straight through exhaust setup, straight through race exhaust on my M3 which was INSANE, etc.. I never hated those like I did the 996TT setup!

wow, that is strange and definitely not the norm. A turbo car is ALWAYS more quiet than an NA car.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:37 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
wow, that is strange and definitely not the norm. A turbo car is ALWAYS more quiet than an NA car.
Trust me I agree, I mean you can't argue physics ... But the sound that came from my car eclipsed the GT3 next to me, odd.

Again maybe it was just my setup, I have heard muffler bypass "straight pipe" turbos and none were anywhere near as loud as this, probably the fact people don't really know what they have on their car, it could be factory or high flow cats and then bypass pipes bolted up instead of the muffler. I had literally a 3 foot FVD cat/muffler bypass pipe bolted straight off the turbos, you can imagine the noise, vibrations, headache, drone, etc.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:47 PM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TXGold
I can't seem to take mine off. It's like a bad addiction I can't stop. They sound great at WOT and are total white trash at start up.

Here's a link to a video I made of mine
Is it just me or does it sound like you have aftermarket blow off valves?

Old 11-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Trust me I agree, I mean you can't argue physics ... But the sound that came from my car eclipsed the GT3 next to me, odd.

Again maybe it was just my setup, I have heard muffler bypass "straight pipe" turbos and none were anywhere near as loud as this, probably the fact people don't really know what they have on their car, it could be factory or high flow cats and then bypass pipes bolted up instead of the muffler. I had literally a 3 foot FVD cat/muffler bypass pipe bolted straight off the turbos, you can imagine the noise, vibrations, headache, drone, etc.

maybe someone stole your turbos

Old 11-21-2008, 07:42 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !

best of both worlds!!

Old 12-07-2008, 12:12 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Iam currently running straight pipes with 200 cell cats. There is some drone as you accelerate lightly around town. Once you reach a steady speed it quiets down some. There is some serious drone at highway speeds though (60-70mph).
The car feels more powerful and it allowed me to take 30 lbs off the back.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by MBailey
Iam currently running straight pipes with 200 cell cats. There is some drone as you accelerate lightly around town. Once you reach a steady speed it quiets down some. There is some serious drone at highway speeds though (60-70mph).
The car feels more powerful and it allowed me to take 30 lbs off the back.

Yup, I have the exact same exhaust, and it sounds awesome

I just put header wrap on my cats and straight pipes to keep some heat away from underneath the car and it did not effect noise either way as I have heard some people on other forums say it has done for them.

I am in the process of custom building another exhaust, so these bypass pipes will go on sale along with the 100 cell cats. I need to quiet things down a bit as I live in a very quiet neighborhood. Hopefully it will still be loud enough to make me happy.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:32 AM
riley6 is infamous around these parts
Will straight pipes with 200 cell cats pass emissions? What is the hp/performance gain of this setup over performance mufflers w/200 cells?

Old 12-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by riley6
Will straight pipes with 200 cell cats pass emissions? What is the hp/performance gain of this setup over performance mufflers w/200 cells?

well, I just took off my muffler bypass and 100 cell german fabspeed cats and put in a custom exhaust with mufflers because I live in a quiet area and the noise is not appreciated. Anyway, I have felt a loss in top end power even with a free flowing exhaust. The pipes do make a difference in power, no doubt.

I am selling mine if you are interested. I don't think it is that loud and neither does my wife, but if you like quiet, it is not for you. Cold startup is VERY loud once the car warms up, the noise settles down and it isn't bad unless you are at high rpm WOT

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: straight pipe