996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Intake Piping?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 05:13 PM
silver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to all
Maybe this helps. Remember that the intake piping most often referred to is the pre turbo piping. This helps the turbos draw in more air with less static pressure and thus a bit lower heat. Once the turbos boost the air yes it can force a bunch through even smaller pipes through intercooler and y pipe. The bigger pipes are pre boost. Once you are REALLY boosting with huge turbos then bigger piping all the way is probably better. I am no engineer but this is how I understand it.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
we did a test on a 20g set up with and without biugger pipes... and all I can say is that the 20gs without the pipes were laggy... once we put the pipes in the car woke up....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 11-20-2008, 05:46 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Mark - are you referring to the intake pipes before the turbos?
Or the Proto intake with a bigger Y-pipe?

(btw thanks for putting up with all the PMs i've been sending - and thanks for the emails you've sen too, very interesting!!!)

Old 11-20-2008, 06:06 PM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
we did a test on a 20g set up with and without biugger pipes... and all I can say is that the 20gs without the pipes were laggy... once we put the pipes in the car woke up....
this is true!! i have first hand experience the 20g's do not work with stock air inlet piping

Old 11-20-2008, 06:10 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
Tim, are you running the 2.5 or 3 inch pipes with your 20g setup?

Do you think your 20g with the pipe spools sooner than your 18g did with the airbox?

Old 11-20-2008, 06:12 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Tim - am i right in saying you did the full Proto intake?

Old 11-20-2008, 06:18 PM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ReeknHavic
Tim, are you running the 2.5 or 3 inch pipes with your 20g setup?

Do you think your 20g with the pipe spools sooner than your 18g did with the airbox?
im running the 2.5 inch pipe... and yes it spools quicker and reaches full boost quicker!

Old 11-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Do you think you'll change the TB and Plenum or not?

Old 11-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by ant_8u
Tim - am i right in saying you did the full Proto intake?
yes running the full proto minus the intercoolers... bell is building me a set of ic's right now... with the proto inlet pipes you have to run the proto y-pipe to accomodate the blow thru maf

Old 11-20-2008, 06:29 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Tim , you are running a secondary fuel pump right ?

Old 11-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Red 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond repute
[quote=cjv;2142421]ant,

We started with the stock TB and bored it a few mm's. Don't hold me to the numbers because it has been a long time. I think they were around 66 mm, plus the bore. Then we went to the GT3 TB and I believe they were around 74-76 mm. We finally settled on a 90 mm TB. END QUOTE

Where did the 90mm TB come from? What is it?
What HP level would this come in to play compared to 75MM?
What is the downside of such a size TB?

Old 11-20-2008, 06:51 PM
What does the 2.5" refer too regarding the Proto intake?

Is it the "legs" or "trunk" of the Y-pipe?

Old 11-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Are you running stock intercoolers at the moment Tim?

If so what have you done about the location of the DVs
Will this change when the new intercoolers are installed?

Old 11-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by unvmym3
Tim , you are running a secondary fuel pump right ?
no sir, im running bigger injectors and the AFR's are great

Old 11-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by ant_8u
Are you running stock intercoolers at the moment Tim?

If so what have you done about the location of the DVs
Will this change when the new intercoolers are installed?
the 2.5 inch i am referring to is the are the inlet tubing in front of the turbos... the legs of the y pipe are 2.5 inch and the y-pipe merge area is 5 inch..

right now im running tock ic's bell is building me some custom 4.5 inch core with 2.5 inch inlet outlets no the DV's are on the legs of the y-pipe and thats where they will stay

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intake Piping?