996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.
View Poll Results: What is the best drop-top sports car under $60K
SLK55 (new model)
14.29%
M3 Convertible
26.53%
Boxster S
30.61%
Lotus Elise
12.24%
350Z Convertible
2.04%
Audi TT 3.0 Convertible
0%
Honda S2000
14.29%
BMW Z4 3.0
0%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Best Drop-Top Sports car under $60K

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 12:58 AM
Welcome to the OC, bitch!
trojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant future
Poll: Best Drop-Top Sports car under $60K

Looking for an opinion on a fun drop-top sports car that can be thrown around in the curves or on the track, YET STILL PRACTICAL ENOUGH TO BE A DAILY DRIVER. Remember that the sticker price has to be under $60K for a decently loaded model!

Please consider, in no particular order:
1. Fun Factor
2. Comfort (for the daily driver aspect)
3. Reliability
4. Brand Cache
5. Value for your money
6. Performance
7. Technology

Old 09-03-2004, 01:17 AM
Who let the dogs out...
Adrift is infamous around these parts
Can't speak to the M3, but I have a BoxS and have spent some decent seat time in the S2000. The Boxster S is an amazingly well balanced car, with awesome brakes, razor sharp handling, and besides the dreaded RMS issue, is very reliable. I drive mine every day. I have taken it out to the track quite a bit and it is VERY competitive with anything except the real HP monsters. I have driven the crap out of it on the track, with nary a whimper from it. If only Porsche would put the HP in it that it deserves...man oh man.

Old 09-03-2004, 01:33 AM
Banned for Life
Cole_21 is a jewel in the roughCole_21 is a jewel in the roughCole_21 is a jewel in the rough
Thats easy for me!!!! My s2000 is one of the best cars I have had especially with the turbo on it.

Old 09-03-2004, 01:46 AM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
S2000 is definitley one of the best cars I've ever owned in terms of fun-factor... nothing made me feel closer to Schumacher than my '02 Suzuka. At the track, it's simply so rewarding to drive. Doesn't get the respect that I think it deserves.

Boxster S... great car, very well balanced, but not as hardwired as the S2k, though obviously much more prestigous... of course, there is the boxster stigma due to 911, but I think they are totally different cars that each hold their own. At the track, I'd imagine the S2k and S would swap times all day long, though the S2k has the edge on being more rewarding of a driving experience.

M3 Conv: Nice convertible GT. The one I drove was SMG. Fun experience, though I'd imagine I'd be bored with it after a wk, as I'd be with any and all non-self-shifting trannies. Still, for all-around, tough to beat in the price range.

TT: Haven't driven the 6-cly, though all the ones I've driven handled very poorly for the track. Terminal understeer with no throttle-lift over. This is mainly due to the fact that they are all FWD til grip breaks at the front, which then the AWD slowly kicks in. Others on the board have had good experience with dif mods and suspension mods to make it more track-capable.

350Conv. The Z I drove was non-conv. It understeered at the limits, but had broad torque curve to help neutralize it if need be. Nothing a good suspension setup couldn't cure.

The rest of the cars I've not driven.

Old 09-03-2004, 01:47 AM
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
The S2000 is an awesome car right out of the box, but I have to pick the Elise as my choice. Can you get a loaded Boxster S for under $60k?

Old 09-03-2004, 02:24 AM
Parker is infamous around these parts
Boxster hands down. i've ridden in all the above except for the Elise... owned a boxster.... best in fun factor, brand cache and performance (sans 0-60). The car just dances, what can i say.

M3 <> S2000 tie for 2nd.

Last edited by Parker; 09-03-2004 at 02:26 AM.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:31 AM
Who let the dogs out...
Adrift is infamous around these parts
Har Har

Originally posted by Mr Kram
Can you get a loaded Boxster S for under $60k?
Considering the BoxS starts at over $50k, and anyone that has priced Porsche options knows how much THEY cost...I think you would be hard pressed to get a lightly optioned 986S out the door for under $60k, although it can still be done, I believe.

I am just wondering if you could double the price of a Boxster just in options... lol Might be an interesting exercise.

Old 09-03-2004, 02:33 AM
MANA is infamous around these parts
None of the above.

I vote for the C6 Corvette Convertible

Old 09-03-2004, 02:43 AM
alamein is infamous around these parts
August EVO Magazine just did a similar comparison:

SLK350 vs. Z4 3.0 vs. S2000GT vs. Tamora vs. Boxster S vs. 350Z convertible

Boxster S won hands down .... "... but the Porsche is simply too good to usurp. The way it sucks you in and encourages you to use every last rev, to commit to every corner like it's your last, and the rewards it dishes out when you do, make it the best car here. ... And there's a new one out this year. Scary, don't you think?"

Old 09-03-2004, 02:44 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
i vote for the M3. i would have voted for the boxster S, but i don't fit in one (too tall/wide). i also don't fit in the TT, S2000, Z4, 350Z, or SLK55. i may not fit in the elise either, never tried. so that doesn't leave any choices from your list!

Old 09-03-2004, 02:52 AM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
I've driven the tt, s2k, and boxter.

Definitley Boxter S for me. Power is more within reach than s2k.
I can imagine what a chipped Boxter would be like.

Old 09-03-2004, 03:00 AM
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by alamein
August EVO Magazine just did a similar comparison:

SLK350 vs. Z4 3.0 vs. S2000GT vs. Tamora vs. Boxster S vs. 350Z convertible

Boxster S won hands down .... "... but the Porsche is simply too good to usurp. The way it sucks you in and encourages you to use every last rev, to commit to every corner like it's your last, and the rewards it dishes out when you do, make it the best car here. ... And there's a new one out this year. Scary, don't you think?"
Boxster S with no price consideration, but I think a nicely optioned 986 would double the S2000 price.

Old 09-03-2004, 03:12 AM
Rob in Potomac
Robert in Potom is infamous around these parts
I voted for the Boxster S, because I found it to be a near perfect handling car. I have a driven a Boxster and a Boxsters S, each for 3 years and find the S to be a significantly better performer. While not perfect, especially in acceleration, its handling and excellent storage (two trunks makes weekend trips a real trip) separate the Boxster from all others in this price range.

Except, possibly the Elise. I saw one a couple of weeks ago and spoke with the owner, but did not have an opportunity to drive it. However, if it handles as well as it is reputed to, and better than the last Lotus I drove - an Elan - it might give the Boxster S a run for its money.

Old 09-03-2004, 03:12 AM
dgussin1 is infamous around these parts
you guys are so biased on your opinions. The SLK55 or M3 would do it for me.

Old 09-03-2004, 03:41 AM
Mafia is infamous around these parts
If you're looking for fun to drive as #1 factor S2000 is an excellent choice. It's just as quick if not quicker than Boxter S on the track and is very rewarding to drive.

Boxter S probably makes a better everyday car but it's over twice the price... If you're not anti-domestic, C6 Z06 will be king of the hill in that price range performance wise.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Poll: Best Drop-Top Sports car under $60K