996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Needed a good highway roll car.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
I would not waste my time with a porsche if all I wanted was straight line performance. Porsches are a complete package, not just straight line.
I've never understood this argument.

With a Porsche Turbo, you can have phenomenal straight line, roll-on performance (commensurate with HP), while still maintainng outstanding handling and braking characteristcs. I really don't understand why someone would either not want a car like that, or consider it a "waste".

Are you saying that Porsche is too well-rounded of a car to make extremely fast? Heck, to me...a well-rounded car is the exact type of car I would want to make extremely fast.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 11-24-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:56 AM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme

With a Porsche Turbo, you can have phenomenal straight line, roll-on performance (commensurate with HP), while still maintainng outstanding handling and braking characteristcs. I really don't understand why someone would either not want a car like that, or consider it a "waste".

Are you saying that Porsche is too well-rounded of a car to make extremely fast? Heck, to me...a well-rounded car is the exact type of car I would want to make extremely fast.
I think what he meant was, if you are just looking to build a car for highway pulls, not "waste" additional money on building a 996TT as it would make more sense to start with a Supra TT, put in some money, and accomplish the specific goal at hand.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:03 PM
.bg. has a spectacular aura about.bg. has a spectacular aura about.bg. has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Spec
Sure I could buy a Supra or RX-7 but I'm not a all into the more Tuner car scene but more into the European cars. Also because I currently own a 350Z and just dislike Japanese manufacturers overall quality. So my next car must be a Euro car.
Obviously, the supra is the obvious choice, but out of the cars the OP is actually interested in, the 996tt takes top honors.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Mike_SHP has a spectacular aura aboutMike_SHP has a spectacular aura aboutMike_SHP has a spectacular aura about
another Supra vote. They're reliable cars even if you put 500+ on them and you could walk on almost any car you come acrossed.
Other than that, my personal vote is an M3 with an Active Autowerkes supercharger

Old 11-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme

No, what I am saying and what most obviously agree on here as evidenced by votes, is that if you are looking for straight out straight line performance from rolling starts on freeways, the Supra is a better deal and way more bang for your buck. I agree that the P-turbo is the better overall car and it has history to go with it, but some people just want to go fast and could care less about all else.

Why did you get rid of your P-car and get the vette?

Old 11-24-2008, 08:14 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
I have raced many Supras and I must say that I am doing very well against them, especially when considering my car is street legal and passes inspection every year. I have to agree with Scott on this one, I like the stability and safety the Porsche offers over any other car. Hmm the only exception would be the ford gt. Just my opinion....
Happy Holidays
Robert

Old 11-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Intake exhuast and tune and the Z 06 is hard to beat. For big power as everyone mentions, the Supra can't be beat.

The 996 is the better all around car and much much nicer inside.

Rob, it costs about 90K plus the car to get to your power level. For 80K you can get a 1K rwhp Supra out the door.

Of course I would rather have your car but unless I got lucky it is a 150K project.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 11-24-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Banned
speedwerks is infamous around these partsspeedwerks is infamous around these parts
The Porsches aren't underpowered; the Benzes are overweight. The 996TT is the easy pick from your list, for the events you named. But, if your SO wants you to go grocery shopping (especially to Costco), take her car.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:45 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
No, what I am saying and what most obviously agree on here as evidenced by votes, is that if you are looking for straight out straight line performance from rolling starts on freeways, the Supra is a better deal and way more bang for your buck. I agree that the P-turbo is the better overall car and it has history to go with it, but some people just want to go fast and could care less about all else.

Why did you get rid of your P-car and get the vette?
I didn't. I already owned my Z06 before I ever considered selling my Porsche. However, I'll definitely be getting another P-car eventually. I already have a detailed modification plan in mind. But until then, a 750-800 rwhp Z06 should tide me over nicely.

As to why I decided to sell my Porsche; I may or may not be retiring from the military in 12 months..so I wanted to clear out some debt beforehand to give me plenty of options. The profits from the P-car sale allows that.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:26 AM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
What are your plans for your ZO6 Scott?

Old 11-25-2008, 07:37 AM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
I still have faith in the 996 platform as a formidable highway car. With its displacement, engine placement, and awd we are already talking about a beast with the right ingredients in stock form. Now add a GT3 head, high revs, upgraded turbos, and standalone capabilities and I think you have the best hwy car out there.......much better than a Vette or Supra. Remember those cars are just unstoppable today, but in the future I see Porsche being king. Just give it some time and have the right people work on it!

Old 11-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
The 996TT can be an awesome roll on car. Esp. with the 5th gear being an almost 1:1 ratio that is good to about 160-170mph and a 6th gear that allows the car to keep pulling all the way to 208-210mph (Depending on redline).

I have about $13k-15k in modifications and my car has trapped a best of 135.7 @ 3650lbs (letting out 2 times in 1st gear.. I'm hoping to do better when I can get traction and let the car cool down before the run). You can do stuff for a lot less depending on how mechanically inclined you are and if you have an understanding of what mods you want exactly. Also I have saved a decent amount of money because we have done our own work on the car.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by ReeknHavic
What are your plans for your ZO6 Scott?

Click the "Under Construction" link in my sig for details, bro.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Former Vendor
dk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud of
you should probably be able to pick up a nice 996 turbo with a 700 hp kit on it for 50k nowadays. in which case, i would opt for the p-car if that is your favorite manufacturer to start with.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:19 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
I don't know if it will be that low. If it is I would expect it to have high miles.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Needed a good highway roll car.