996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Needed a good highway roll car.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 09:05 PM
DKM
DKM is infamous around these parts
+6 on the supra...i've owned mine 12yrs and its been an amazing car since day 1.

Currently it makes around 1200whp.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:53 AM
basupra is just really nicebasupra is just really nicebasupra is just really nicebasupra is just really nice
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Intake exhuast and tune and the Z 06 is hard to beat. For big power as everyone mentions, the Supra can't be beat.

The 996 is the better all around car and much much nicer inside.

Rob, it costs about 90K plus the car to get to your power level. For 80K you can get a 1K rwhp Supra out the door.

Of course I would rather have your car but unless I got lucky it is a 150K project.
You can have a 1k whp Supra for MUCH less than $80k, 1/2 that price really. IMHO the Supra is a better all around car as well, rides MUCH better, handles well (maybe not quite as well as a p-car depending on suspension setups) much easier to work on, built better, interior isn't quite as nice, but still a very nice interior. Don't get me wrong, I like my P-car alot, but dollar for dollar it is not even close to the Supra.

Tim

Old 11-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Tim,

You can get a Supra cheaper if someone has a near death experience and sells in a "scared ****less" state of mind. If you want to build a legit/quality 1K rwhp Supra it will cost at least 70K.

You are right about the value...and the interior

Old 11-29-2008, 09:01 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Tim whats the latest on the TT? Any more improvements with the tune?

Old 11-29-2008, 09:13 AM
basupra is just really nicebasupra is just really nicebasupra is just really nicebasupra is just really nice
Tim,

You can get a Supra cheaper if someone has a near death experience and sells in a "scared ****less" state of mind. If you want to build a legit/quality 1K rwhp Supra it will cost at least 70K.

You are right about the value...and the interior
Lol, have you owned or built a Supra before?? If my new Supra is done in time for the TX meet, I will be sure to bring it down and show you a legit/quality 1k whp Supra that has UNDER $40k in it (including the price of the car). It is true that some of the Supras have BIG money in them, but that doesn't mean that it can't be done for MUCH less. Just like Powell has shown the P-car community, you can get the same performance as the big $$ kits for much less if you look around enough.
This is not meant to be knock on anyone that has spent alot of money on their cars either, so don't take it the wrong way.

Tim

Old 11-29-2008, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
Tim whats the latest on the TT? Any more improvements with the tune?
Paul, I got my injectors from Tony a few weeks ago, but its been pretty cold up here lately, so I've been rather lazy at getting them put in.
The next warm weekend we have I plan to install them and send the ECU back to Tony for the new flash. In this cold weather, the car is making ALOT more power it seems, and the stock clutch is not liking it at all!!
So it looks like I will have to get one put in soon after the tune/injectors as well.
Get tweety to the track!! I would REALLY like to see what kind of trap speed you have in that car to compare to mine.

Tim

Old 11-29-2008, 09:21 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
10-4

Old 11-29-2008, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by DKM
+6 on the supra...i've owned mine 12yrs and its been an amazing car since day 1.

Currently it makes around 1200whp.

Car looks GREAT Dave!! Is it up and running right now?? I will be in Vegas next weekend, and I want a ride!!
I'll call you this week to try and set something up.

Tim

Old 11-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by basupra
You can have a 1k whp Supra for MUCH less than $80k, 1/2 that price really. IMHO the Supra is a better all around car as well, rides MUCH better, handles well (maybe not quite as well as a p-car depending on suspension setups) much easier to work on, built better, interior isn't quite as nice, but still a very nice interior. Don't get me wrong, I like my P-car alot, but dollar for dollar it is not even close to the Supra.

Tim
I like the supra and indicated that it would be the way to go for highway rolls. However, your way off here as to quality. Quality is descent, but no where near the 996 and the 996tt is a way better all around car, including handling. Don't get me wrong I have driven and or ridden probably 80-90 supras including several really fast ones owned by friends. They are not even close to a 996tt and even they admit it. Build quality is typical of what you get for a mid $30k car that it was at the time. nothing more, nothing less. And you can get a very clean one these days for about that same price. A buddy of mine just picked on up a year ago for 35k low miles with tune

Old 11-29-2008, 11:25 AM
DKM
DKM is infamous around these parts
Thanks tim...its up and running. Its making great power and its very driveable...considering the turbo. I'm actually trying something new today...i'm changing it to E85 for SH%Ts and giggles. If it makes around 750whp on my dyno i'll be happy, that means its around 850-900 on a dynojet. So we'll see...

I'll keep you posted...also, when you get here its all good, i'll take you around the block a few times.

Any shows you want to see? Let me know so i can get you handled.

dkm

Car looks GREAT Dave!! Is it up and running right now?? I will be in Vegas next weekend, and I want a ride!!
I'll call you this week to try and set something up.

Tim

Old 11-29-2008, 12:35 PM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
I am going to disagree with you about "not even close", but then again, the Supra dollar for dollar is "not even close" to a Mustang with allot of NOS at about 1/20 the price! Not to get into a 100 page argument or to come across as an elitist, but the Supra isnt exactly an exotic and are different classes of cars, not to take anything away from them.

That being said, Ive had a couple mod'd Supra turbos, in addition to a few heavily mod'd NSX's, Mustangs/Saleens, S2000 and a F355 F1. I currently have a 700hp 996tt, hopefully that removes whatever doubt you may have about my knowing what I am talking about :-)

Overall, Porsche and Toyota have very similar build philosophies, built for all out war- very strong and durable cars (in fact I am on my 5th 4Runner which I will drive to 200k, sell and get another). The Supra turbos are very good cars, don't get me wrong, but they VERY heavy and there isnt much you can do about that (btdt). Apexing a Supra turbo is a also very delicate and complicated thing, a 360 degree panoramic view of the track is very common ... and frustrating occurance.

Now, if all the person wants is a highway killer, by all means the Supra turbo is a very formidable platform, however, if you want a very relaible car that can do EVERYTHING well, whatever the weather, there isnt much that can touch the 996turbo.

You could mention the EVO's and STi's but you would be contradicting your own argument as they would be better cars than the Supra dollar for dollar, except as a highway killer of course.

Tim

Old 11-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Lol, have you owned or built a Supra before??
Tim
No just had this conversation in depth w/ Tommy Banh. He has built a Supra or two. Also VR Alexander and about 10 800 whp Supra owners here in the Houston area. Trust me, I have considered the Supra very seriously.

I got my M3 for 52K but if you wanted to replicate it it would cost twice that much. I could say the same thing about Scotts old 996TT (would cost 170K to create...didn't sell for that of course).

If you are the right place at the right time, of course deals are to be had. Just catch a person at a moment when they are emotional and or depsarate/in a bad situation. That strategy also has its risks but is 3 out of 4 times the best way to buy a really fast modded car. But typically it costs 70K to build a car like, say Peters old Blackie. The clutch alone (Tilton) was 5K. And yes there was a moment when I could have gotten Peters car for a lot less than 70K, but that is an exception not the rule.

And as nice as that car was/is, the interior is light years away from a Porsche.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 11-29-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Prche951
I like the supra and indicated that it would be the way to go for highway rolls. However, your way off here as to quality. Quality is descent, but no where near the 996 and the 996tt is a way better all around car, including handling. Don't get me wrong I have driven and or ridden probably 80-90 supras including several really fast ones owned by friends. They are not even close to a 996tt and even they admit it. Build quality is typical of what you get for a mid $30k car that it was at the time. nothing more, nothing less. And you can get a very clean one these days for about that same price. A buddy of mine just picked on up a year ago for 35k low miles with tune
Well, you have your opinion, and I have mine. I also own both at the moment, not just "ridden" in "some". 4th Gen Supras were also $50k the first 4 years, and then had a $10k cut in price in the last 2 years due to low sales. What do you look for in a car as far as an "all around car"?
What exactly does the Supra lack that makes it "not even close"??

Tim

Old 11-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by D33PBLU3
I am going to disagree with you about "not even close", but then again, the Supra dollar for dollar is "not even close" to a Mustang with allot of NOS at about 1/20 the price! Not to get into a 100 page argument or to come across as an elitist, but the Supra isnt exactly an exotic and are different classes of cars, not to take anything away from them.

That being said, Ive had a couple mod'd Supra turbos, in addition to a few heavily mod'd NSX's, Mustangs/Saleens, S2000 and a F355 F1. I currently have a 700hp 996tt, hopefully that removes whatever doubt you may have about my knowing what I am talking about :-)

Overall, Porsche and Toyota have very similar build philosophies, built for all out war- very strong and durable cars (in fact I am on my 5th 4Runner which I will drive to 200k, sell and get another). The Supra turbos are very good cars, don't get me wrong, but they VERY heavy and there isnt much you can do about that (btdt). Apexing a Supra turbo is a also very delicate and complicated thing, a 360 degree panoramic view of the track is very common ... and frustrating occurance.

Now, if all the person wants is a highway killer, by all means the Supra turbo is a very formidable platform, however, if you want a very relaible car that can do EVERYTHING well, whatever the weather, there isnt much that can touch the 996turbo.

You could mention the EVO's and STi's but you would be contradicting your own argument as they would be better cars than the Supra dollar for dollar, except as a highway killer of course.
I agree with almost everything in your post. The Supra is a fairly heavy car, however not THAT much heavier than an AWD 996TT, going by weight figures that Powell and WesOnelove have posted on their cars. Most normal single turbo Supras weigh about 3500lbs w/out driver, which is close to an AWD 996TT. I have not weighed my own 996 or Supra yet, but they "feel" close in weight. I also have not road raced my P-car yet, but it does feel better in the handling department on the spirited runs that I've put it through. It is also MUCH easier to come out of a corner with and not have to worry about the *** end stepping out. Thats just something that you have to be aware of in any high hp RWD car, not just the Supra. AWD is very forgiving thats for sure.
Like I said, its just my opinion that the Supra is a better all around car. I'm sure we could argue it to death, and I'm sure we could both find valid points to justify our choices. Thats what makes the world such a great place!! It would be boring if we all thought the same thing!!
Its good to see that you have atleast owned both. Theres more to a car than just riding in it once or twice to get a good feel of the build quality and what the car is capable of, not to mention if you've worked on both you can actually see where I'm coming from as far as build quality is concerned.

Tim

Old 11-29-2008, 03:44 PM
No just had this conversation in depth w/ Tommy Banh. He has built a Supra or two. Also VR Alexander and about 10 800 whp Supra owners here in the Houston area. Trust me, I have considered the Supra very seriously.

I got my M3 for 52K but if you wanted to replicate it it would cost twice that much. I could say the same thing about Scotts old 996TT (would cost 170K to create...didn't sell for that of course).

If you are the right place at the right time, of course deals are to be had. Just catch a person at a moment when they are emotional and or depsarate/in a bad situation. That strategy also has its risks but is 3 out of 4 times the best way to buy a really fast modded car. But typically it costs 70K to build a car like, say Peters old Blackie. The clutch alone (Tilton) was 5K. And yes there was a moment when I could have gotten Peters car for a lot less than 70K, but that is an exception not the rule.

And as nice as that car was/is, the interior is light years away from a Porsche.

Yes, Tommy certainly knows what he is doing, and does it quite well. However that is what he does for a living, so of course he has to make money at it which in turn drives the price up.
Also, I'm not talking about getting lucky and getting one for cheap. I'm saying that you can find a NICE clean example for around $20-25K, and modding it yourself. Yes, Peters old black car would have easily cost $70k to replicate, however bone stock that car would have been $50k+ to start out with!! So you could save $25-30k right off the bat if you didn't have to have a PRISTINE low mileage car. I'm just saying that it doesn't HAVE to cost $70k to build a 1k whp Supra, thats all. Just like it doesn't HAVE to cost $30k to make 650-700whp on the P-car (car not included).

We need a group hug!!!

Tim

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Needed a good highway roll car.