996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT Stereo / XM Radio / IPod Upgrade Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 05:08 PM
Banned
HennesseyPerformance is a splendid one to beholdHennesseyPerformance is a splendid one to beholdHennesseyPerformance is a splendid one to beholdHennesseyPerformance is a splendid one to beholdHennesseyPerformance is a splendid one to beholdHennesseyPerformance is a splendid one to behold
996TT Stereo / XM Radio / IPod Upgrade Help

Hi I am looking for a good recommendation for upgrading the factory radio. Dont want to watch TV, movies, etc. Just a simple, clean, in-dash setup. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:37 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Pioneer AVIC D3 was what I did. They have newer ones now. I have xm, nav, ipod, usb, bluetoosh, xmtraffic, and it does video with the ipod if I want...I don't use that. It lets you match the interface's color to the car...so mine looks like the lights of the OEM LCD/gauges/buttons now.

Custom install put a mic in an unused switch...custom faceplate looks oem. Most good shops can do magic. The local Porsche dealer and PCA types said to use a specific shop, so I went there. ...I'd do the same for your area.

I have a 2002, so no weird MOST stuff to deal with. If you have fiber optic stuff, things get more involved as you likely need amp(s) and speakers....I stayed OEM.

Good luck.

(my oem pcm 1 died and it was 3400 to replace, so the above option was a no brainer)

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 11-30-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
I went with the Kenwood DNX7100 Double DIN navigation unit, and couldn't be happier. It has CD, DVD, XM, Sirius, awesome ipod interface, backup camera, etc. It is all touch screen and is very user friendly. The navigation is by Garmin, so it's great as well.

I know you're just looking for something simple, but this is a great option that works very well.

Keep in mind, if the car is 2003 and newer, you'll have to replace the factory amp as well since the newer cars used the fiber-optic MOST bus.

Here is a pic of mine...

Old 11-30-2008, 06:48 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Man that looks very clean. I hate the Porsche Nav. No touch screen. NOT user friendly.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:00 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Adam, that is still the best setup I have seen yet. In fact when I am ready to upgrade my stock stereo, I will print out this photo and take it to the audio guy and say do this for me.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:12 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Same thing as Adam...microphone is at the red arrow tip...put into a dash switch that was unused.....

JB

Attached Images      

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 12-01-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:52 PM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
Hey John
I have the pioneer Avic z3 it has all the stuff ipod,bluetooth,xm,satnav.. around $2k

Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
Thanks, guys!!

Really liking yours too, Tim. The installer did an excellent job...it looks OEM.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:41 AM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Adam Bowles
Thanks, guys!!

Really liking yours too, Tim. The installer did an excellent job...it looks OEM.
Thanks Adam your is tight as well... how did you get the bc to attach to the top of the cubby??

tim

Old 12-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by colorinc
Thanks Adam your is tight as well... how did you get the bc to attach to the top of the cubby??

tim
Thanks!

I just used double-sided sticky tape. I'm pretty sure it was included with the Greddy.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:54 AM
cactus57 has a spectacular aura aboutcactus57 has a spectacular aura about
Here is mine.

Avic D-3, Diamond 5 channel amp running everything and Diamond 10" subs.

Attached Images     
Old 12-02-2008, 10:11 AM
SINCITY_TT is infamous around these partsSINCITY_TT is infamous around these parts
kENWOOD

Old 12-02-2008, 04:17 PM
dreamtripper is infamous around these parts
I like the color of your interior ... wish I could somehow switch mine from boring black! Back on topic, I have the Kenwood system also with xm, bluetooth, ipod, backup camera etc. Definitely don't skimp on the install job.

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Same thing as Adam...microphone is at the red arrow tip...put into a dash switch that was unused.....

JB

Old 12-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks. Key is contacting your dealer and asking "who knows Porsches there" as they see it all...and I bet they see the shops that butcher things too....a friendly service manager is the key.

I don't use the dealer a lot, but this is one time I asked around. The local PCA scene also steered me in the same direction....the local group of 911 owners is your best option.

Check out avic411.com for information as there is a cult following on stereos (Avic's for one) out there.

JB