996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

16G's vs 18G's in the real world...VIDS!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 12:44 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
I think there might be a consensus that the 20G wheel works too hard in the K24 housing? Making "hot air"? I would like to see videos like these between the 18G and the 20G. Help me decide MY next mod.
where did you read that? as far as I know I drove in the first fully built 20g 2 years ago... and my friend put it in the 10.0s... ( took 1.6 bars on C16).
Now, as far as HOT air.... I think the k16/gt28 set up has a lot more to do with that then a 20g....
Hot air may have to do with improper cooling( intercoolers) and or the rest of the system... like choking exhausts for example... popular 200cel cats are a no go at these level...

furthermore... it was popular to stuff a gt30 compressor wheel with a K24 housing and utilizing the K24 turbine wheel.... run NO water lines on top of that.... and that is even a bigger compressor wheel then the 20g.... how come there is no consensus on that?
tuners will sell products they make most money on... do your homework before you buy.... better yet get a ride before you buy.... maybe that way you will not buy into "hot air"...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 12-08-2008 at 12:46 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:55 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Markski,
It's likely "concensus" was not the right word and I do not want this thread to become a 20G debate. A bunch of us were standing around a while ago discussing turbos and what we've done in the past on different vehicles and this came up. It is strictly my opinion until I SEE further data and videos. Compressor maps aren't exactly floating around on all these hybrid turbos you know!!! This car isn't my first rodeo and I don't take everything everyone says as gospel. I did a lot of homework before I decided to do the 18G's. I knew about the 20G's when I did these, but not enough technical data for me to warrant a jump. (Plus, I wanted to have another level to go to when I get bored here !!!) Thats why I would love to see a video of a 20G car against an 18G car, you know all things being fairly equal. If the difference is the same as the vids in this thread, might be my next move. So no disrespect intended. I know you jump in these threads to try to stop the dissemination of "bum scoop" when you can and no one is questioning your experience.

Flash,
My redline is around 7100 but I shift at 7000 and it really feels like it is still pulling pretty good. Unlike K16s, I usually run out of highway before I run out of turbo.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:11 AM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
does a tiptronic change anything? would like to know the best set up for my TIP for street playing use only.. no track no drag strip..

Old 12-08-2008, 06:49 AM
audikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Seal Grey Matte
True. I heard that driver ordered a 997 shifter the same day.
Nothing like a day of street racing to get you mod shopping!

Old 12-08-2008, 07:50 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
thanks for posting these vids. Looks like the Audi chase car can hang with the 16 car huh?
The Audi "chase car" is an EPL car as well .

Great compare guys!

I still believe that the 16g's are the best k16 hybrids available at the moment.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
where did you read that? as far as I know I drove in the first fully built 20g 2 years ago... and my friend put it in the 10.0s... ( took 1.6 bars on C16).
Now, as far as HOT air.... I think the k16/gt28 set up has a lot more to do with that then a 20g....
Hot air may have to do with improper cooling( intercoolers) and or the rest of the system... like choking exhausts for example... popular 200cel cats are a no go at these level...

furthermore... it was popular to stuff a gt30 compressor wheel with a K24 housing and utilizing the K24 turbine wheel.... run NO water lines on top of that.... and that is even a bigger compressor wheel then the 20g.... how come there is no consensus on that?
tuners will sell products they make most money on... do your homework before you buy.... better yet get a ride before you buy.... maybe that way you will not buy into "hot air"...

Mark,

Im speaking from my experiences of 1 car...so take it with a gain of salt.

In normal weather conditions on 18g car we see IAT delta of about 40 degrees from the begining of the pull to the end of the pull. So if IAT starts at 70 it ends at 110.

On the 20g car we worked on, IAT delta was closer to 80+.

In my opinion the 20g wheel is not a good fit for the k24 housings.

As TTboost stated this thread isnt a 20g debate. I just think that in most if not all cases, my customers are better off with 18g wheels over the 20's.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:23 AM
SpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura about
Less is more.... unless you go really, really big.... and then ultimately suffer with driveability issues.... 16G and 18/24G then GT35R's.... have to believe that at some point you're not making enough power "under the curve" in which case highway pulls and drag racing are the goals and not track performance. Keep it under the curve brother! 586AWTQ is MAMMOTH power on the street no matter what anyone will say.... Plus its probably reliable as hell.... you can probably flog that motor endlessly and not blow it up vs a 700WTQ car...

Old 12-08-2008, 09:11 AM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
ttboost... great meeting you this weekend! it was nice to put a face with the name bro....

Old 12-08-2008, 09:12 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Yeah, same here! Great meeting all you guys, could have been warmer though!!!
Mike

Old 12-08-2008, 09:41 AM
riley6 is infamous around these parts
Great meeting everyone also, it was fun. I'm just a little jaded after driving Seal's ride ...hopefully I will catch up soon .

Steve

Old 12-08-2008, 09:52 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Markski,
Thats why I would love to see a video of a 20G car against an 18G car, you know all things being fairly equal. If the difference is the same as the vids in this thread, might be my next move.
if both cars run pump gas then the difference will be roughly the same.... but if you go past 1.2 bars watch out. A fully built 20g runs high 130s... a 18g low to mid 130s... pure and simple... i doubt you will find a 20 g set up as they are scare ....
nice runs...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 12-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by riley6
Great meeting everyone also, it was fun. I'm just a little jaded after driving Seal's ride ...hopefully I will catch up soon .

Steve

It seems I recall a conversation involving you NOT driving any other cars that had more than a flash? Start reaching for your wallet and be done with it...

Old 12-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
if both cars run pump gas then the difference will be roughly the same.... but if you go past 1.2 bars watch out. A fully built 20g runs high 130s... a 18g low to mid 130s... pure and simple... i doubt you will find a 20 g set up as they are scare ....
nice runs...
markski

Thanks Mark, that's good to know and thanks for the comments. I'll PM you..

Old 12-08-2008, 01:06 PM
riley6 is infamous around these parts
It seems I recall a conversation involving you NOT driving any other cars that had more than a flash? Start reaching for your wallet and be done with it...
Yes I did say I wouldn't but the suspense was killing me after a while and I caved . I have to be extra nice to the wife for a few months ...then I should be in business...

Old 12-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by riley6
Yes I did say I wouldn't but the suspense was killing me after a while and I caved . I have to be extra nice to the wife for a few months ...then I should be in business...
Car mods... sewing the seeds of marital discord since the dawn of the automobile age.

Glad to be of service on the test-drive.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 16G's vs 18G's in the real world...VIDS!!!