996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Cold Air Intake Dyno Testing - Your Thoughts???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 12:37 AM
LamboTT has a spectacular aura aboutLamboTT has a spectacular aura about
So which intake would be best for a stock 996tt with maybe an exhaust and ecu flash?

Old 12-13-2008, 05:00 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Well I for one think the dual snorkle setup will be a very good addition to any road course car. It will help stave off heatsoak and allow more consistant storage of air supply.

The dyno chart is a concern at the area Dan himself hilights, but every tune on every dyno shows a different graph, so I'm not concerned about that at all. I suspect I know how it would be on my car, and that's all that concerns me.

Mike

Old 12-13-2008, 10:41 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
For that are truly interested and not here to troll, let me break this down. First, the post was to showoff the Dual Flow intake. I added the others to show comparisons of the delta. Sometimes to much information can cause confusion.

CJV - The first Agency Power Dual Flow Intake with K&N Filter was done back to back. Same conditions, vehicle, temperature, dyno, ECU, etc. The K&N filter and the OEM filter were both used. I understand the point that ARD is saying, but should we do fresh oil changes as well? Spark plugs could matter from 1 run to another. I think in this case, the variables are held as consistent as they could be for "Real" world drivers. So in essence if we first COMPARE only the first product and post results for that situation, it is apparent that the intake made horsepower and torque.

Now moving on to the 2nd intake which is the original Agency Power cold air intake, this test was NOT done back to back, but within a week. Similar environment, same car, same dyno. What I was trying to address here is really the performance comparison from this intake to the Agency Power dual flow. If you look at the before and after and pay attention to the overall curve, you can see in all 3 tests how a dyno helps in the driveability of the vehicle.

Finally the Fabspeed one which is almost 3 years old was put in there to show the diversity of our tests. I agree with you that it is not on the same car, same day, etc. I was merely again trying to showcase intakes as a whole. If you look at this dyno, you can see these tests were done back to back within 1 day, same car, same environment, same dyno. The comparison of the filter ONLY was done within a hour of itself. Yes some cars have different baseline readings, so if these are not near each other, it is hard to compare, especially with the different flashes, but what is important is to look at the delta again.

John - Agreed, and that is why we tried to replica air flow with the highpowered fans on the intake. Ideal like Mikelly says, this intake is really meant for those on a race course and it is hard, unless we have a gazillion dollar wind tunnel to get those precise results.

Sharkster, I think my first paragraphs applies to your comment. Again the post was to show the first intake mainly. The others were to show relative delta or how an intake affects the vehicle. Ultimately if you want to post up a EVO intake dyno, we would see some correlation in performance or the gains.

ARD - scientifically, you make sense. Ultimately, we are not talking about enough failure in the filters to really make sense. I know my statement of used equal is vague, but I know where both parts came from. I do support your statement of more precise testing, but I am sure we would see similar results.

Soundeffects - my opinion to you would be read the relative information on all intakes available by all vendors: EVO, Agency Power, Sportec, Proto, eBay, etc. Then what is probably most important is talk to the ones that use it in everyday life. mikelly, tom kerr, markski, statman, zip22, sharkster, and a handful of others have good reviews on the forum.

In conclusion (4th grade 2nd place science fair winner), I am going to get my dirt bike fixed and have a good rest of my weekend, hope everyone else does too!

Old 12-13-2008, 10:48 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vividracing

Sharkster, I think my first paragraphs applies to your comment. Again the post was to show the first intake mainly. The others were to show relative delta or how an intake affects the vehicle. Ultimately if you want to post up a EVO intake dyno, we would see some correlation in performance or the gains.
The only issue is though that if you compare/present the results that way you're still not comparing apples vs apples and can make one solution look better/worse than another. There are a lot of EVO intake dynos but again they wouldn't be valid/relevant as a comparison because they're done on different cars, dynos, tunes, conditions etc... so it'd be like chalk and cheese?

Old 12-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
This post was never intended to show a OVERALL comparison of intakes. It was to show the first air intake of Agency Power's Carbon Dual Flow. I understand apples to apples of the same car, same flash. There is relativity about all of them. Since I have 1 of each intake here, I will work on a comparison test soon.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:55 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vividracing
This post was never intended to show a OVERALL comparison of intakes. It was to show the first air intake of Agency Power's Carbon Dual Flow. I understand apples to apples of the same car, same flash. There is relativity about all of them. Since I have 1 of each intake here, I will work on a comparison test soon.
Just a suggestion ...... or my 2 cents. Dyno the car in it's stock forum first. Then dyno the same car with your product installed. I realize the barometric temps, pressures will be different. Just post the differences.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Former Vendor
Again delta is what is important. So if I dyno a car with an exhaust, as long as I keep that exhaust on the car the variable is the same. I think the thread got misinterpreted because of the "other" intakes added to the post.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Dan, Go back and edit out all the other posts, except with the one with your dual snorkle setup and let's focus on that... Apparently the others are muddying that water...

...And oh yea, that one's the only one I care about anyway!

Convenient, no?

Mike

Old 12-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Former Vendor
edited first post, thanks mikelly

Old 12-15-2008, 06:12 PM
...Yea, It's true... I'm still a bastard!

Mike