996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Cold Air Intake Dyno Testing - Your Thoughts???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Cold Air Intake Dyno Testing - Your Thoughts???

The main purpose of this intake is to retain the stock air box configuration but improve the overall air flow volume to the filter. The more air, cooler air, you can get across that panel filter, the better the car will breathe and perform. This is just one intake alternative available amongst the rest.

The subject tested on is a 2002 996TT with the Agency Power 650 Kit (Garrett GT2860rs Turbos). The car was run on 91octane and back to back tests with a break to swap to the stock air box. So these test results are about as direct as we could get. Because the dual flow purpose is really for street driving or track, without a wind tunnel, it is hard to recreate actual driving affects. What we did was place one of our high power fans behind the car aimed to the filter simulating how the scoops would intake air under highway driving speeds. We usually do this with all intake tests on the 996TT as their is no air getting to the filters.

Our baseline test with all variables kept constant except using the stock air box with stock paper filter gave us a result of 487HP and 508ft/lbs of torque. With the Agency Power intake in place, we ran the car after about an hour cool down period and achieved 503HP and 514ft/lbs of torque.

The biggest difference in this dyno plot you can see where the turbo spools up a bit faster giving a better hit of peak torque and carrying out further all the way to 6500rpm. There is a very large gain in the 5200rpm to 5700rpm range. The wild dips we attribute to the crappy 91octane here in AZ. At the end of the day, what this really suggest that the K&N flat panel filter with the right amount of air flow produced can yield some impressive results. The stock Porsche air box is great, but gaining performance from modifying it is still possible.

Now when you hear that intakes do not add any power, it bewilders me as with turbocharged cars you want to get a larger of volume of air in, and a ton of exhaust gas out. These dyno tests show that any type of intakes assist with good air flow to gain faster throttle response, overall improved driveability, and additional peak horsepower.

Last edited by vividracing; 12-15-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
You bastard... Keep tempting me, even when I told you I was broke from shelling out over $16K for new heating/cooling for the house (unexpectedly)!

You, Dan M., Are a very E-V-I-L man... And here during the holidays...

BTW, I got to see Larrys (Landjet's), and that is one TOP SHELF piece...
BRAVO!

Mike

Old 12-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Mike what do you or others think about the results and testing procedure. Comparatively to the other intakes we have dynoed, do you think this was a fair and accurate test?

Old 12-12-2008, 05:49 PM
MotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to beholdMotorsportsR is a splendid one to behold
Do you have dyno chart for stock air box with BMC or K&N drop in filter?

Old 12-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Former Vendor
I did find a VERY old dyno. Our Mustang dyno was calibrated differently and we no longer use Upsolute. So the relativity of this dyno and the fabspeed dyno compared to todays Agency Power test is hard to say. But you are more then welcome to put a conclusion together for all of us to debate.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:13 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Is this a new factory filter?

Old 12-12-2008, 06:51 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
I am not sure if the two kits are on the same car or different cars. It appears different cars. If so not really a good test as the base hp can vary on different Porsche engines based solely on the break in procedure. I have seen break in delta on two different 996tt's greater than the difference of the two intake kits.

So without knowing the true starting point, any add comparisons really doesn't mean much.

Last edited by cjv; 12-12-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:09 PM
Former Vendor
Ard - neither filters are new they are both used equal.

Cjv - the blue car was done back to back today. The fabspeed intake vs bmc filter was done back to back same day as well.

On my iPhone. Have a good weekend!

Old 12-12-2008, 07:15 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vividracing

Cjv - the blue car was done back to back today. The fabspeed intake vs bmc filter was done back to back same day as well.

On my iPhone. Have a good weekend!
Was the same car used with different intakes on the same day?

What I am saying is you can have two stock 996tt's and they will each have a different base dyno hp due solely to the break in. One could have 360 rwhp and the other could have 378 rwhp. I have never seen two turbo's after break in dyno with the same numbers. Now if you install each with a different intake, what have you proved. Now if you took a base dyno reading and then added the intake and took another reading ............. then the tests have merit.

I'm simply asking what was the procedure to see if I can agree with the comparison's. These are my thoughts ........ are they wrong?

Last edited by cjv; 12-12-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:33 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
Ok, I'm confused. I see four different type of air boxes. How are we comparing these? I am interested in upgrading from stock. But I would love to know which direction to go. What is the best bang for the buck without creating warning codes?

Old 12-12-2008, 08:44 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by EZ Cookin
Ok, I'm confused. I see four different type of air boxes. How are we comparing these? I am interested in upgrading from stock. But I would love to know which direction to go. What is the best bang for the buck without creating warning codes?
+1.
4 different intakes,2 different cars and 2 different tunes how can one form any type of verifiable conclusion?

Old 12-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
After reading Dan's post, I believe the modified stock air box (dual snorkel) dyno was back to back, same car - same day. Motorsports brings up an interesting point, though - how would the stock box perform with the B&M filter? Assuming all other parameters were kept constant, this would really tell how much the dual snorkels were responsible and how much the other filter is helping. My guess is the stock air box with the B&M filter would land somewhere in the middle.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 12-12-2008, 09:45 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joetwint
+1.
4 different intakes,2 different cars and 2 different tunes how can one form any type of verifiable conclusion?
+1 not sure the data is apples to apples here... Different cars/motors, different days, temperatures, run set ups, software/tuning and/or calibrations... different dyno locations? It's certainly hard but the only way to do it and properly would be have all the different intakes on the same car, same day and eliminate as many variables as possible. Then to make sure is to try the same procedure on a couple of other cars under the same manor just to be safe....

Old 12-12-2008, 11:09 PM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
+1 not sure the data is apples to apples here... Different cars/motors, different days, temperatures, run set ups, software/tuning and/or calibrations... different dyno locations? It's certainly hard but the only way to do it and properly would be have all the different intakes on the same car, same day and eliminate as many variables as possible. Then to make sure is to try the same procedure on a couple of other cars under the same manor just to be safe....
As every tuner knows, as long as the 4 different cars were dyno'd in 2nd gear, that should negate all the variables. Not to mention, that's about the worse looking plot I've ever seen a 996 produce.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:11 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vividracing
If you are comparing used filters it is then an invalid test. IMO

"used equal" is a nonsensical statement- you cannot determine how 'used' a filter is! Is it weeks or miles or grams of dirt in the filter?

To eliminate uncertainty you use new parts which represent the 'best' any set up can achieve.

You really went through all the work to carefully collect back to back dynos using dirty airfilters???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake Dyno Testing - Your Thoughts???